What's new

How did it happen, I've become a weirdo

I tried to show my collection to my fiance last night. She got bored pretty fast. I think she thinks I'm weird now.

You've always had the weirdo inside you. It just so happens you've found the place with like-minded folks who'll help you nurture, embrace, and bring that weirdo out!

Same thing happened to me. My wife laughs about it - I now have ten DE razors, four straights, and three brushes. But she also really enjoys the bay rum aftershaves that I wear, where I never wore any aftershave or cologne before. And she really likes the Lady Gillette that I bought her. Haven't talked too much about it with friends, but I mentioned it to my mom when my parents visited at Thanksgiving - ended up getting a DE from her for Christmas.

So, it appears I have gone from a guy who shaved once a week grudgingly to a guy who has multiple razors and looks forward to shaving.

Last edited:
I know I am among kindred spirits, but what do your friends / families make of your ADs?

My dad thinks that I'm goofy for it, and that a can of barbasol and a bic disposable will work just fine... and they do, for him. I tried to teach him the drill, but he's set in his ways and doesn't see the attraction to spending more time to get a better shave. For him, it's about spending as little time as possible to get the most minimally-acceptable shave possible.

My GF's brother actually planted the DE wet shaving idea with me, so she's not that surprised by it. Once I had a dozen razors, she thought that I'd gone off the deep end. Then I crossed the 300 razor mark, and am well past the 2000 blade mark, and she just took it in stride. I don't acquire as much as I used to, and I'm a lot more selective, so she sees it for what it is -- a razor collection and an ample supply of blades.

I gave each of my first cousins (and my brother-in-law) starter kits (with cream, brush, a slim and a superspeed, and a selection of blades), and only my brother in-law has kept with the DE. He gets it, but he isn't so much into taking the time to make his own lather.

My mom just thinks I'm nuts, and that newer multi-blade razors must be better because they are newer.

My friends think that it's just my collecting bug kicking in. The don't see the utility of it.

It's okay with me, though, because I know that I'm using the best tools, that I look good and my skin has never felt better. I understand that most people see shaving as a dull task that is not meant to be enjoyable, and that's okay. I've almost completely stopped telling anyone about it, actually.

-- Chet

So, it appears I have gone from a guy who shaved once a week grudgingly to a guy who has.....

...to a guy who now looks far more presentable.:biggrin1:

As for me, I haven't told a soul. I enjoy shaving since moving from carts to DEs, and feel that little bit better heading out the door of a morning with a decent shave. That is all that matters to me.

You're a weirdo.. having only three razors, and even more so if you have only 1 shaving brush.
...My wife is weird too. Over the years before I started using DE razors again, she always complained that I hadn't shaved regularly, doing it only twice a week. Now she's disappointed and mad I leave her every evening saying 'I'm bored, it's time for me to go to shave'. Tell me if this is rational! Who is the biggest weirdo here?

You're among friends here, Stephen. Everyone that knows about my newest hobby just kind of accepts it with a shrug, I've always been sort of "eccentric" in my family's eyes :001_rolle

Repeat after me..."I a am not a weirdo, I am not a weirdo". Other folks may be weird, I am just a bit different, I am special. I have just few razors. I am finding OS shaving mugs, there are from what I have been able to determine 16 US designs, are my AD. I have only 10 left to go to have one of each of the US models.

Just be careful NOT to repeat this out loud whilst in public, especially when you're browsing the antique stores, the Sephora outlet, the Bath & Body Works... :laugh:

If you want the crowd to acknowledge the purpose of DE shaving, you have to tell them how much greener it is, how much money you save compare to the cartridge systems and finally that every rafined gentleman take good care of himself.

my daughter is a hair dresser and swears by this stuff...Biotin ...use that with the rogaine above and will need to shave three times a day!! ROFLMAO!

Whatever you do don't Try Propecia, That stuff is killing men, Causing Male Breast Cance, and Prostate Cancer as well at Making Males permanently Loss there sex drive and making your little guy Shrivel up, "Stay Away From Propecia" its all over the news and Internet :eek:/

My coworker's dad recently took inventory of his handguns in anticipation of the coming apocalypse. Dude has 97 handguns NOT counting assault rifles and other long barrel firearms. Of course I mentioned this guy to my wife. I teased her that there was about $150 worth of shaves creams that I want to try out, but that was less than one decent gun. She was not amused.

WHEW! Just a weirdo ...

...... with my gobs of razors, blades and stuff, I thought I was something unusual enough for Ripley's Believe It or Not!

Top Bottom