What's new

Hot sauce junkie

Habanero is nothing to me...so i do have somewhat of a tolerance but those ghost peppers and similar ones are quite crazy.....but I have had them de-seeded and de-veined and they do have flavor. Overall my favorite pepper hands down is scotch bonnet especially in a Haitian condiment/topping called pikliz....absolutely amazing....that or in Jamaican food.
I beg to differ. I've eaten them in hot sauce as well as chopped up in a taco. Hot? Yes. Real hot? Yes. If grown in a nice rich soil and fed properly they have a very nice flavor.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I made some Chili today. As I have this bottle of Dave's Ultimate sitting on my counter I thought why not. The chili was tasting a little tame. Two shakes, by eye I'd say somewhere between 1/4 to 12 teaspoon. Yippee. Surprising heat given it was between 4 and 5 quarts of chili. Just a bit too hot for my wife. Quite tasty. Glad I took it easy on adding it.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I made some Chili today. As I have this bottle of Dave's Ultimate sitting on my counter I thought why not. The chili was tasting a little tame. Two shakes, by eye I'd say somewhere between 1/4 to 12 teaspoon. Yippee. Surprising heat given it was between 4 and 5 quarts of chili. Just a bit too hot for my wife. Quite tasty. Glad I took it easy on adding it.

That's how I like to use my super hot sauces. Use in small amounts in cooking can add a depth of flavor and a touch of heat.
Often I just a small amount to my bowl so the pot stays family friendly. Other times I spilt it into two pots about half way through the cooking and heat one to my level.

My friends know me too well.. my birthday gifts recently consisted of (among other things) homemade hot sauce, a 4 pack hot sauce sampler, three bottles different sauces and Jalapeno tortilla chips. :mad5:

I just cracked a bottle of Louisiana Habanero open and doused down a couple of hard boiled eggs in it. Wow, hotter than I was expecting. Burnt my lips for about five minutes. Probably nothing to the ghost pepper fans, but I thought it had a kick.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Hey we need some hot sauce action here, page four guys.
I was a bit concerned that we lost Aaron [MENTION=83342]DoctorShavegood[/MENTION] earlier when his hot sauce signature went missing.
As Owen is chef hot sauce maker. So maybe we need @oc_in_fw to lead this motley crew of pepper heads.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hey we need some hot sauce action here, page four guys.
I was a bit concerned that we lost Aaron @DoctorShavegood earlier when his hot sauce signature went missing.
As Owen is chef hot sauce maker. So maybe we need @oc_in_fw to lead this motley crew of pepper heads.

Hot sauce update: As I have said before, two of my great aunts used to make something the family called Hot Stuff. They were in competition with each other, and as far as I know, took their secrets to the grave. I mentioned Hot Stuff in a Facebook page to my uncle, and a family member I don't know (my grandfather had 11 siblings, I believe this was one of their grandchildren) said they had made some the other day. I offered to share my Habanero recipe with her if she sent me hers. No reply. I hate family sometimes.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I don't get it holding back on a good recipe, unless you are entering competitions, then what up with that.
With a bit of luck there is just a bit of lag time in the reply. Fakebook can be like that.

Hey her loss, Big O's is the real deal. I still have a small amount left that I made from your recipe, thanks for sharing that by the way.
I'll be make some more next year when my habaneros start fruiting.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Hot sauce update: As I have said before, two of my great aunts used to make something the family called Hot Stuff. They were in competition with each other, and as far as I know, took their secrets to the grave. I mentioned Hot Stuff in a Facebook page to my uncle, and a family member I don't know (my grandfather had 11 siblings, I believe this was one of their grandchildren) said they had made some the other day. I offered to share my Habanero recipe with her if she sent me hers. No reply. I hate family sometimes.

I don't get it holding back on a good recipe, unless you are entering competitions, then what up with that.
With a bit of luck there is just a bit of lag time in the reply. Fakebook can be like that.

Hey her loss, Big O's is the real deal. I still have a small amount left that I made from your recipe, thanks for sharing that by the way.
I'll be make some more next year when my habaneros start fruiting.

I'm still waiting for my chili pequin to produce something....aug...the little berries on that thing are the most delicious peppers I've eaten. I've got two germinated and they are popping their heads. Hot sauce...maybe in May.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'm still waiting for my chili pequin to produce something....aug...the little berries on that thing are the most delicious peppers I've eaten. I've got two germinated and they are popping their heads. Hot sauce...maybe in May.

I hope to have mine before then but should be tasting my home grown hot sauce by then as well.
As I planted a couple of jalapeno plants I may try smoking a few for a sauce, mixed with some habaneros as well. We will see.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Woo boo- the leader is back. I discovered this thread because of you.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I found this on the table when out for lunch today. Cullies made just for the restaurant and a ghost pepper blend at that.
Well I grabbed a tablespoon and pour some to try. My boss looked at me as we had finished the on trays and said....what are you going to put that on.........in my mouth. YUM and a nice growing heat to go with it.
The food did not need any hot sauce but it was there so it would have been wrong not to use some. :w00t:Monsoon Poon

$20161209_145238.jpg

Last year my brother got me some hot sauce called Piri Piri sauce from New York. It's a Portuguese hot sauce and it was the most amazing hot sauce I've ever had. It was spicy but it was also the most flavorful hot sauce I've ever had. If you can find it then I definitely suggest trying it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I found this on the table when out for lunch today. Cullies made just for the restaurant and a ghost pepper blend at that.
Well I grabbed a tablespoon and pour some to try. My boss looked at me as we had finished the on trays and said....what are you going to put that on.........in my mouth. YUM and a nice growing heat to go with it.
The food did not need any hot sauce but it was there so it would have been wrong not to use some. :w00t:Monsoon Poon

View attachment 707916

Great name for a restaurant as well as a hot sauce.

And if you never tried it. I challenge you try Plain ole Louisiana, Franks, Texas Pete, etc on a plain glazed doughnut.

Last edited:
Went into a tijuana flats rest today. My authentic mexican rest closed. Not sure how well this will come out but it would have made some of you happy.
proxy.php

Top Bottom