What's new

Honing Japanese Knives

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
So my latest AD (like I needed another one) is Japanese chef knives. I have lots of questions, but I'll start off with a few simple ones.

What are you guys using to hone your Japanese steel? I'm getting great results with my Suita, but I cant seem to get that aggressive separation between the Hagane and the Jigane like I see in photos online. Is Uchi the best natural to bring up the Hamon on these blades?

For anyone here that loves both honing and cooking I strongly suggest you try and acquire at least one good Japanese knife. They are an absolute joy to hone and use.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
David,

Uchigumori will work and maybe I sent you some? Many suita will work - remember that uchigumori is a suita - and Lizuka-san uses an Ohira suita to finish the famous Shigefusa knives. A lot of kiita will work well too.

A suggestion from Brooksie is to polish the blade 'bevels' with synths up to 8-10k then use the jnats to separate the ji/ha.

Cheers, Steve

David

Thanks Steve. I'll try going to 10k synth and switching to naturals.

I can't recall If you sent me Uchi or not. I have a few pieces but they're small.

Speaking of Shigefusa, are they available anywhere right now? I've been looking for months but can't find one.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
David,

Try signing up for Max's Shigefusa emails nd watch Takeshi's blog. I got my 180mm kitaej from Takeshi

Cheers, Steve

Love my shiggies! I wonder if there are any fora about Kitchen Knives?

Good luck anyway with the search for that perfect edge.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Which knives are you using?
My two main knives are Shun santoku and Shun paring. Used daily. The only time that I hit the stones is if I inadvertently damage the edge.

I also have a ceramic 'steel' for quick touchups.

I've got three or four that get used at home, but my Japanese steel doesn't see my work much... Just too much upkeep for a busy line. I don't actually use jnats with them. I prefer oilstones almost universally for knives, but especially with white and blue steels. I have one that loves a charnleys edge, another that loves a tam. The others get rotated around stones, turkey is probably my favorite general stone for them these days.

All the videos I've seen on Japanese kitchen knives lead me to believe that no steeling or stropping is involved. Is this true, or do Japanese cooks use steels and strops?

All the videos I've seen on Japanese kitchen knives lead me to believe that no steeling or stropping is involved. Is this true, or do Japanese cooks use steels and strops?

Generally the edges on Japanese knives are so hard and thin that steeling them would chip the heck out of them. I use both a felt and leather bench strop on my knives to finish the sharpening and pull any burr away.
Some guys have reported that very gently using a ceramic rod can keep a knife going during service.
There is no substitute though for hitting the stones and working up to your desired finish.

Generally the edges on Japanese knives are so hard and thin that steeling them would chip the heck out of them. I use both a felt and leather bench strop on my knives to finish the sharpening and pull any burr away.
Some guys have reported that very gently using a ceramic rod can keep a knife going during service.
There is no substitute though for hitting the stones and working up to your desired finish.

Thanks. I suppose that's why folks are advocating the higher grit stones with these. Haven't honed any Japanese kitchen knives myself. Might be time to try.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock

Yes, very gently. The steel 'steels' can chip them. Never had a problem with ceramics.

David

Thanks. I suppose that's why folks are advocating the higher grit stones with these. Haven't honed any Japanese kitchen knives myself. Might be time to try.
They are an absolute joy to hone and use. I wish I'd taken the plunge years ago.

Top Bottom