What's new

Honing DE blade?

Hey, I came across some razor hones on ebay. They looked a bit crusty but was intrigued. Wondering if anyone hones a DE blade these days and if so are there any modern tools out there to do so?

I've seen vintage glass concave DE razor hones on the bay. With the quality of blades available today I couldn't imagine anyone honing a used blade with any hope of equaling a new one. As to the efficacy of DE hones, if they were a success I think they would have survived, but I have no personal experience with them.

I've seen one or two examples of Thuri de hones, but they are rare. I haven't encountered a synthetic that I felt would give a good edge, and I haven't tried the glass ones. I expect if you have a Thuri or some other de hone that works well and work out a functional stropping technique, it could prove useful... Otherwise they seem to mostly have been used out of necessity to get bad shaves when good ones were not an option.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
There is a thought among some people that modern stainless blades rely on coatings to improve whisker cutting ability. You can do your own experiments by rubbing a DE blade on the inside of the glass to see if there is any benefit to those glass honing thingees.

I have a DE hone that came with a small lot of shaving item awhile back, but haven't used it. Being that I have enough blades to last me at least two lifetimes, I never put any thought into ever using it.

Top Bottom