What's new

Hole size for knot

I believe I have read on here that you should size your hole up 1mm bigger than your knot size. Am I right or wrong?
Thank you for any info......:001_huh:

1 or 2 multimeters.

It's not an exact thing.

Best to have the knot and handle in hand and see.

If you have a handle that you can't enlarge, buy a knot 2mm smaller than the opening of the handle.

Thanks guys, Ive got 3 different knots coming and will take your advice. That is why I haven't enlarged yet.

I've seen everything from 0.5mm up to 3.5mm. I sink a 24mm knot in a 1" (25.4mm) hole. And you know what? A 23.5mm knot works just fine in the same size hole. And so does a 23mm. And I doubt anybody would even know the knots were 3 different sizes. 1.5mm-2mm is the sweet spot for me but this isn't rocket science so don't worry too much. It's a hole to hold a tuft of hair, nothing more. Also make sure you measure the tuft of hair just above the glue plug. I have several knots where the tuft is slightly to almost 4mm larger than the plug. If it's larger, drill the hole according to the tuft, not the glue plug. Don't worry about being technical, slightly larger is as exact as you need to get imo.

I've seen everything from 0.5mm up to 3.5mm. I sink a 24mm knot in a 1" (25.4mm) hole. And you know what? A 23.5mm knot works just fine in the same size hole. And so does a 23mm. And I doubt anybody would even know the knots were 3 different sizes. 1.5mm-2mm is the sweet spot for me but this isn't rocket science so don't worry too much. It's a hole to hold a tuft of hair, nothing more. Also make sure you measure the tuft of hair just above the glue plug. I have several knots where the tuft is slightly to almost 4mm larger than the plug. If it's larger, drill the hole according to the tuft, not the glue plug. Don't worry about being technical, slightly larger is as exact as you need to get imo.
CigsrSmoka, Thank you for the added info. Very informative as I wasn't even considering the tuft.

Depending on the knot sometimes the glue bump is significantly wider than the plug. I found this is often the case with the smaller diameter knots from VIG. I've had 22mm knots that needed a 26mm hole because of the glue bump.

Depending on the knot sometimes the glue bump is significantly wider than the plug. I found this is often the case with the smaller diameter knots from VIG. I've had 22mm knots that needed a 26mm hole because of the glue bump.

VIG is the worst of what I have. The 23.5mm knot has a 27mm very dense tuft just above the plug, but it isn't glue. At least it should bloom out nicely. TGN knots have never been a problem, but so far all but one from various Chinese vendors on ebay have had tufts slightly to significantly larger than the plug. It means I either have to buy a few more IX collets at close to $20/ea or drill another hole into the handle so I can use a threaded mandrel. The latter isn't an option for a few since I planned on making a translucent handle with opaque cup, although I may just buy a few more TGN knots for those.

Knots vary so measure first and then bore your hole based on the widest section of the knot. after boring the hole add just a touch of radius to the inside lip so it won't damage the hairs.

IME knots from TGN don't have the dreaded glue bump. I purchased a bunch of knots from 5 Chinese vendors on ebay, 4 of the vendors' knots all have a significantly larger diameter than the plug. I've used several from TGN and never once have I had a problem. A knot from TGN that's 2mm smaller than the hole should work perfectly. Use a chinese vendor from ebay and you'll probably run into trouble. The few extra bucks are worth the piece of mind, and as a bonus you'll get it within a few days instead of weeks.

You're welcome gents. I know DCRIII is a fan of TGN too, in particular their two band finest which is also my favorite. The have both fan and bulb shapes so you can even get a little variety if you make a few brushes so they don't all look the same.

BTW I have no affiliation with TGN whatsoever, I'm merely a very happy repeat customer.

Top Bottom