What's new

Help with trouble spot on neck.

Been at this three weeks and the trouble spot I'm still encountering is the area from just above adam's apple to the bottom of chin. The hair is very coarse and lays flatter than much of the rest of my beard. When shaving with the grain, everything is fine. It's an are where I can't find a way to go across the grain which would be left to right or right to left like I would with a DE. So I end up doing a wtg, then a sort of mix between with the grain and acrosss byshaving downward at a 45deg angle. It doesn't really work well as when I try to go against the grain on pass three it really stops my razor dead in its tracks. I keep trying different angles and adjusting pressure but can't seem to get a good result.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Ha. Not laughing at you but with you. I think we all struggle a little around there. Try laying the razor flat against the skin. That's about as good as I can get on my problem neck/throat.

When you do your ATG pass, incorporate a slight slicing motion to your stroke. Sounds like a bad idea, but for me it makes a huge difference.

Thanks for the replies. Laying flatter did help as well as not being as aggressive on the WTG pass. It allowed some extra a gainsay the grain strikes without irritating the skin much. I also sent my blade out to be rehoning. I suspected my early stropping may have had a detrimental effect on my edge. Having come back my razor seems a bit improved. I will have to take more care in stropping. The past two shaves I wasn't having the blade getting stuck, so to speak, and stalling out. I feel more practice with different angles and pressure will resolve everything.

These things help me in this area:

I scrub the devil out of this area during the shower to soften and lift the hair.

I face lather to help lift and soften the hair.

I stretch this area as much as possible.

I have mapped the area and do WTG, XTG, reverse XTG, ATG and finally diagonally XTG.

Sometimes I slide the razor.

Using a soap with a higher PH might help soften the hair better. I can't do this because of sensitive skin.

This area is just difficult.

The neck is hard/awkward to deal with but the answer is almost always to stretch out the skin, turn the head and lean or whatever it takes to flatten things out. It's also a matter getting able to comfortably bend your arm at the right angle to get the right angle on the neck, which after all is basically a cylinder.

Top Bottom