What's new

Help with identification

unspecified.jpg

Need help with information on this razor i just bought, any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance :)

I believe the print reads "Maleham & Yeomans Sheffield" but i am unable to find useful information about that. One source that i read said that the company operated from 1850 – 1912 but another said that the company made razors throughout the 'Great War'which didn't begin til 1914?

A very nice looking razor you got there. I seem to be finding similar information to what you have. From what I have found, the company was possibly started in 1850 and operated through 1925. It started showing up in Sheffield directories in 1876. How long they operated seems to be up in the air. I have seen mentioned anywhere up to 1970. They were cutlers and silversmiths. I am not positive, but it seems that they started as cutlers and moved to being silver smiths later. Maybe that is why there are different end dates. A descendent of Maleham owns Arthur Wright and makes knives still.

Thank you for the help, im looking forward to restoring and using this one, the idea that it is by far the oldest thing in my house is cool. I just have to learn how to hone now :)

No problem at all. When you are ready to learn honing, there is lots of very useful information on the hones/honing boards. Consider lapping film to learn with. Enjoy the shaves!

Top Bottom