What's new

Hats

I grew up in a baseball cap but, live in my Tilley's today. Sun protection is a must for me as I spent too much of my youth with too much sunshine exposure on my ears, nose, and back of my neck so, the classic 'farmer's skin cancer syndrome' is a concern.

Plus, the keeping the sunshine off my skin keeps me cooler and keeping the sunshine out of my eyes lets me see where I am going!

I should look into a warm weather Tilley.

I don't go out without a hat. I wear a Tilley through the warm weather months. When the weather iBs cool I have a variety of snap-brim type caps that I like. I recently made a newsboy cap which I like even though I don't think the shape came out exactly right. I got a Ushanka from Belarus for Christmas. Its awesome in the cold, but I don't expect it will get too much use here in Virginia.

I should look into a warm weather Tilley.

The 'heavy' cotton duck with British Beads really is cool in the Summer sun. The organic cotton is too but, I find it a bit fragile for harsh use but, in an urban environment it worked very well and looked a bit more appropriate and stylish in Dockers and a Polo shirt.

The 'heavy' cotton duck with British Beads really is cool in the Summer sun. The organic cotton is too but, I find it a bit fragile for harsh use but, in an urban environment it worked very well and looked a bit more appropriate and stylish in Dockers and a Polo shirt.

Thanks, Brother.

Ummm... which one?
The ducal mortier is just two layers of cheap acrylic craft felt with white glue in between the layers.
The Wind River hat is 85% cotton, 15% polyester.
The Tilley Winter Hat is wool.
The Jeep cap is wool. I thought it was acrylic until I actually looked at the label. The tag says "CAP, KNIT, WATCH (100% WOOL)", with numbers like "DLA-835-2672-9201" and "Made in U.S.A." If you mean "authentic military", then maybe so.

I was talking about the Hamlet Hat John (that you made), but the Watch Cap , I know , would definitely keep you warm . Boy I didn't realize how long its been since I have been by here until I checked (Sorry) .

A lot of nice Hats , Expensive Ones (Optimo $$$) , and caps . ... I've got to find a glass fronted Library case to store my Hats , or hit IKEA and see what I can find . I need some storage options , and/or ideas .

Last edited:
I was talking about the Hamlet Hat John (that you made), but the Watch Cap , I know , would definitely keep you warm . Boy I didn't realize how long its been since I have been by here until I checked (Sorry) .

A lot of nice Hats , Expensive Ones (Optimo $$$) , and caps . ... I've got to find a glass fronted Library case to store my Hats , or hit IKEA and see what I can find . I need some storage options , and/or ideas .

Just install some hat racks on your walls. I have 54 hats neatly hanging on racks in my living room, which you can see through the kitchen and door windows. (We live on a busy urban street about 100 yards from the light rail station.) A couple of weeks ago, someone knocked on the door and asked, "Is this a hat store? Can I check them out?" She was not pleased.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Just install some hat racks on your walls. I have 54 hats neatly hanging on racks in my living room, which you can see through the kitchen and door windows. (We live on a busy urban street about 100 yards from the light rail station.) A couple of weeks ago, someone knocked on the door and asked, "Is this a hat store? Can I check them out?" She was not pleased.

Any place you hang your 54 hats is home?

Last edited by a moderator:

Any place you hang your 54 hats is home?

Until I swapped my sedan for an SUV, the trunk of my car also served as home. It was jammed with hats. My wife made me give them away. She thinks 54 is enough. Lucky I've got a drawer where I store my razors--and I don't think she has the courage to open it...

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered a Hanna Hats Newsboy Cap in brown salt&pepper yesterday.

proxy.php

Nice to see Hanna updated their site again. When I ordered mine, it was just one of the finished hats of each style & you had to imagine the different materials based on a pull down menu of swatches at the bottom. It was easier in some cases to look for finished examples in the style/material I wanted elsewhere. The short lived iteration that followed was an improvement, but this is much better.

I use to wear a fedora when I was in my mid 20's, around 2006, until I saw a lot of the teeny bopper kids wearing these god awful fedoras they got from Hot Topics or Spencer's. That turned me off of fedoras real fast. After the fedora I went to flat caps.

From time to time I'll wear a baseball cap if I go out but 99% of the time I'll throw on my flat cap before heading out.

Been thinking about getting a bowler and or a porkpie hat.

I have worn hats sporadically most of my life. For years after meeting my bride wouldn't approve if I wore a hat other than a ball cap. I wore bucket/boonie hats when cutting the grass. With my red hair and a red-head's complexion, she would cut me slack if I would be outside. Started wearing fedoras again about 11 years ago, and was pretty habitual about it for years.

Got out of the habit, and now getting back into it. I wear a felt fedora during the "winter" down here, or a flat/driving cap, depending upon which vehicle I'm driving. Light colored felt or Panama during the warmer months.

Today, it's my Borsalino since I'm wearing a suit and thought the Panama was a bit too ebullient for today's circumstances here at work (faculty colleague, a priest, 49 years old died on Friday. We're receiving his body this afternoon for Evening Prayer/Vespers, vigil and Night Prayer.)

proxy.php

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have worn hats sporadically most of my life. For years after meeting my bride wouldn't approve if I wore a hat other than a ball cap. I wore bucket/boonie hats when cutting the grass. With my red hair and a red-head's complexion, she would cut me slack if I would be outside. Started wearing fedoras again about 11 years ago, and was pretty habitual about it for years.

Got out of the habit, and now getting back into it. I wear a felt fedora during the "winter" down here, or a flat/driving cap, depending upon which vehicle I'm driving. Light colored felt or Panama during the warmer months.

Today, it's my Borsalino since I'm wearing a suit and thought the Panama was a bit too ebullient for today's circumstances here at work (faculty colleague, a priest, 49 years old died on Friday. We're receiving his body this afternoon for Evening Prayer/Vespers, vigil and Night Prayer.)

proxy.php

Nice hat. :thumbup1: Glad your wife has come to except hats other than just base ball caps.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I came "this" close to picking up a Dobb's Panama this weekend, but they didn't have one to fit my noggin- 7 5/8th. Plenty of Stetson or Resistol straws, but I wanted a Panama.

Nice hat. :thumbup1: Glad your wife has come to except hats other than just base ball caps.
Thanks mate. It's like the cigars, she figured by the time she knew about them, she also knew I was going to keep enjoying them, and resistance would only make us both miserable.