Has anybody tried this?

Discussion in 'Brush Making and Restorations' started by flat_tire, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  2. I wish they listed the ingredients on the site, I am a bit curious myself.

3. Hex

Hex

:lol:

I bought some on a whim and can't figure out how to use it either.

Subbed.

4. I used our friend Google and was able to find these instructions.

http://www.pjtool.com/polishing instructions.pdf

Seems pretty straight forward, with the key being very little pressure. Sounds like something we should be used to here on B&B :tongue_sm. Now I just need to get a loose single stitched buffing wheel.

Thanks,
    CZ

5. I think most buffing/polishing compounds can be used on plastics. The secret is to use slow speeds and light pressure.

I recently polished out the scales on an old German straight razor, Tiger brand by the inlays, by using a piece of t shirt, rub it on a bar of polishing compound, I was using the green chrominum compound, then rubbing the scales. All work was done by hand no power wheel at all. I have a dedicated polisher with a 6x1 hard felt wheel, and a chuck where I can insert muslin wheels for different compounds.

My hand work brought the old plastic scales back to life. I probably only spent about 20 minutes polishing them. This was an old straight that had been given to me by a friend when we were stationed over in Turkey back in the early 70's. It had rattled around in my toolbox for nearly 40 years when I started reading this forum and remembered it and dug it out and cleaned it up.

6. You can get a similar product at Sears an other places that sell compound sticks (auto parts places?). Using compound on denim by hand is very nice, as is chucking a wheel into my lathe. I have not used blue yet, as white (al ox) gave nice results on my acryllic.

Phil