What's new

Hart Steel razor's on great sale, could not resist

Mine. I have two shaves on it. I don't find the factory edge all that spectacular, but I'll give it a third shave before touching it up on film.

Are they still honing these with 1 layer of tape for sure?

Also, that deal was awesome. I think the quality of the razor was worth $150.

$06e39e014bd45528096b7814635363dd.jpg

Mine. I have two shaves on it. I don't find the factory edge all that spectacular, but I'll give it a third shave before touching it up on film.

Are they still honing these with 1 layer of tape for sure?
/QUOTE]

Yep, still with tape. I recommend getting it reset without tape. I enjoyed the shave much more after doing that.

Picked up a Hart 6/8 Round point for $125 Plus 7.99 Shipping .Great Deal .Thanks for the Heads Up .Will report back on how it shaves.

I also picked up a Hart 6/8 round point!!!!

I just shaved with it this morning. Very hefty and stiff. Feels good in the hand. The edge is ok, but I'm really looking forward to it after a touch up.

Shaved with my new Hart 6/8 Round point this morning.When I first started on my right cheek it started to pull.So I wiped down the razor and stropped it 60 times on canvas and 100 times on leather. After the stopping it shaved well..I liked the balance and firmness of the blade.I really liked how it shaved against and across the grain.I also liked the audible feedback the razor provided,The feedback almost sounded mechanical in nature .Overall I thought the razor was a good deal for $125 .I will probable touch the edge up on my JNat with one layer of tape.May have to reset the bevel without tape and redo edge to get it little more keen.I am not saying the factory edge is terrible but I like my edges keen with a smooth feel when shaving .If I had to be super critical I would expect a little better Finish on the blade.I thought the grind marks are heavy. If I paid full price at $299 I would have been a little disappointed.

It's more a question of wanting to refine the factory edge and touch it up vs. resetting the bevel and honing it up. I think the factory bevel is good, but it doesn't seem to be as refined as it could be.

Hi - looks like I found a perfect thread, newbie so I dropped a thread start in that section of the forum too. I just received a 6/8 satin with round tip from Hart Steel. Yes the sale prices are nice, I added Cocobo wood scales and they are awesome. I have never shaved straight blade.....but this thing is pulling on my face and stubble no matter what I do. I did get some hair off my face but it hurt like hell. Should I get this thing out to a professional honer? M14Shooter you mention some heavy stropping.....I bought a 2" canvas and leather stop from ClassicShaving in the deal....I did notice just a little bit of water left some spots on the spine, can I use NeverDull to clean that off?

Need some suggestions....I am sure I will master this new art, but am worried my instrument is not fully tuned yet. Thanks!

I would look at the edge under a loop and see what you are dealing with.
When I took it to canvas and leather it made the edge useable.I plan on resetting the bevel without tape and finishing it on my JNat.
I think the razor is fine.It probably just needs a shave ready edge put on it.I like the balance and feel of the razor.
Regards Mike

Hi - looks like I found a perfect thread, newbie so I dropped a thread start in that section of the forum too. I just received a 6/8 satin with round tip from Hart Steel. Yes the sale prices are nice, I added Cocobo wood scales and they are awesome. I have never shaved straight blade.....but this thing is pulling on my face and stubble no matter what I do. I did get some hair off my face but it hurt like hell. Should I get this thing out to a professional honer? M14Shooter you mention some heavy stropping.....I bought a 2" canvas and leather stop from ClassicShaving in the deal....I did notice just a little bit of water left some spots on the spine, can I use NeverDull to clean that off?

Need some suggestions....I am sure I will master this new art, but am worried my instrument is not fully tuned yet. Thanks!
I don't know what Neverdull is, but any metal polish will probably work to remove water spots. I use Mother's mag and aluminum polish. If you post you general location there is a good chance that a nearby member could help you evaluate why you are haveing trouble with your shave.

Oh yes Neverdull is metal polish, I think the name got changed (Eagle One?); that's what we called it in the Navy. I did update my profile.....Boise, Idaho. Paintflinger ans on my newbie thread suggest I post at honing sub to seek help on whom/where to send the blade.

I have 3 7/8 Harts, one Square point and the other two rounded. I looked at the edge and the spine under magnification when they arrived. And from that inspection it was clear that they were hand honed. The square point arrived close to being in shaving condition. I gave it 20 or so laps on a Suehiro Gokumyo 20k, and in a large rotation has not seen the stones in many months. The two round points were not as sharp, and I had to go back and re-set the bevel. I used one layer of tape. All 3 are terrific shavers, and quality control was good from piece to piece. More than happy with mine.

I purchased a Hart 6/8 square point on the same sale. I would have preferred a polished finish, but they only had satin finished on sale. When I receive the razor, I was shocked at the poor quality of the grind. It looked like it had been ground on an extra coarse wheel. There were deep scratches that went all the way into the bevel. I have a number of razors ranging from Chinese Gold Dollars through custom. None of my other razors, including $15 Gold Dollars have such a poor grind.

Since the razors are supposed to be "shave ready", I tried shaving with the razor right from the box...big mistake! The razor tore up my face. I have been shaving with a straight razor long enough that I rarely even get a weeper. Upon examining the edge under a loupe, I found that there were numerous microchips in the edge. So much for a "shave ready" edge.

I should have sent the razor back and demanded a refund, but I have a full set of Naniwa superstones and a couple of natural stones, so I decided to rehone the razor.

Since Hart recommends honing with one layer of tape, I tried that first. I could not get a decent edge. I had to be very careful with pressure to prevent chipping of the edge. Next I tried honing without tape. I still could not get a decent edge. Next, I used two layers of tape to create a double bevel on top of the bevel set wiht no tape. That finally gave an edge that I could use for shaving without nicks and cuts, but the shave is neither close, nor comfortable. I have restored a couple of vintage razors and I have honed Gold Dollars from factory dull all the way to shave-ready, so I should have been able to hone the Hart.

It is my understanding that Classic Shaving used to have a superb reputation for customer service. However, since their purchase by The Grooming Network, the personal touch they once provided has disappeared. Products are shipped from a modern distribution center in Idaho.

In addition to the Hart, I also ordered a Rasoir Sabre Le Grelot razor from Classic Shaving. Unlike the Hart, the Rasoir Sabre was an excellent razor, shave ready from the factory. Based on my review on another forum site, another member purchased a Rasoir Sabre. The razor he received was not shave ready and had some issues with the wedge. He requested a replacement, requesting that the razor be inspected prior to shipment. The razor they sent him had a warped blade that would not lay flat on the stones. When he contacted TGN, they claimed that the razor had been inspected and was in good condition when shipped. They accused him of damaging the blade after receiving it. They refused to do anything additional for him. He is trying to restore the blade using a 400 grit diamond hone to correct the geometry issues. While you expect some restoration will be required on a vintage razor, or a cheap Chinese or Pakastani razor, you do not expect it on a $200 razor. He should have kept the razor they originally sent him, at least it did not have a warped blade.

Based on my experience with the Hart and my friend's experience with the Rasoir Sabre, I will never again do business with Classic Shaving. Nor do I plan to do business with any of the myriad of companies that are part of The Grooming Network. I will stick to reputable companies that stand behind their products and are willing to work with customers to keep them satisfied. If you purchase from TGN, you might get a great product as I did with my Rasoir Sabre razor, but if you get a poor quality product, there is no assurance they will make it right. Buyer Beware!

Super new to this forum, just signed up!

Oh gosh, I had just ordered my 5/8 round point Hart Steel Satin recently, thanks to the sale and 15% off.
From all the previous reviews and good things said about the Hart Steel straight razors, and how they looked like they were a good make.... I'm getting rather afraid now of what i'm going to get.

Mine is due to me in about a week or so.
(Takes longer to ship over to me in Singapore, after going through a freight forwarder in the US and all.)

Saw the posts in the other thread as well, of the horrible aftersales customer service from classic shaving after receiving a bad hart steel razor.

So now am apprehensive about what i'm going to receive... and almost semi-regretting before I receive it, as there are similar value Jacob Ray straights available now as well.

Uh oh. -__-

I do honestly hope it doesn't come to me in too bad shape and hopefully shave ready out of the box.

But if not, I guess one option is to send it to one of the custom straight razor makers to regrind it a bit and get it in at least proper shave ready condition? Which I guess makes it not that cheap anymore but it it makes the razor much much more usable and able to get a good shave from that, then that might make it worthwhile?

Well, I wait with bated breath, to see the quality of the Hart Steel Straight I will receive soon.....
And will post my findings and review of it on to this thread after I get it!

Maroboshi

Wait and see what shows up. You might get a wonderful razor and you might not. If you do get a poor one, hopefully CS will take care of you.

The Razoir Sabre Le Grelot I got from CS was a superb razor, but the Hart I received is not as good as my Gold Dollar razors. Some have received defective Razoir Sabre razors. Others have received Harts that were fine shavers. So who knows what will show up in your postal box.

While these instances are individual samples, both good and bad, my concern about CS and other TGN sites is whether they will stand behind their sales with excellent customer service. Most of the independent vendors, whether manufacturers or sellers, know that their potential for success is based largely upon their reputation for customer service. The vast majority of my experiences with these vendors has been wonderful.

The wet shaving community is relatively small. Those who spend significant sums on shaving products tend to be members of forums like this one. They read product and vendor reviews before making purchases and often review items they purchase. Any seller who ships poor quality products, or who offers less than excellent customer service is risking the loss of potential customers because of the collective reviews of forum members. Only the best manufacturers and vendors will survive.

Thanks for the kind advice RayClem.

Yeah, looks like a classic case of a big chain / corporate type retailer taking over small artisan makers/shops.
And along with it, customer service going down the drain.

Will just keep my fingers crossed that I actually get a good fine shaving hart, and won't need to then spend extra money on shipping or stuff getting it reground or fixed up to then be able to shave proper proper. =p

And totally agree with your comments about such communities as this.
The amount of enthusiasts who read and exchange reviews and comments, as well as interested buyers and shoppers who take such discussions as info and feedback to take into account for their next purchase... would definitely hit the shops/vendors who time and again don't care about their customers and start providing sub par products with bad customer service.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Don't sweat it.

Except for RayClems razor, I have never heard of a bad Hart razor and they have sold thousands. You might need to hone it but that is the case with 95% of the retail razors out there.

Don't sweat it.

Except for RayClems razor, I have never heard of a bad Hart razor and they have sold thousands. You might need to hone it but that is the case with 95% of the retail razors out there.

The ones that seem to have the problems are the most recent offering...
The only thing I know for sure is the one that came to my shop wasn't very good.
I think the concern falls with the new ownership of Hart.

Kelbro

I had read a lot of favorable reviews on Hart razors and that is why I purchased one. I only paid $132 for the razor plus a $20 upgrade for Cocobolo scales. That is about half the normal price for the razor. I would have been satisfied if the razor had some cosmetic deficiencies that warranted the reduced price, but I expected a razor that shaved well after honing. If I had paid $300 for the razor, I would have been outraged.

The grind on my Hart had deep scratches that went all the way into the bevel. None of my other razors, including Gold Dollars I purchased to practice honing, have scratches as deep as this razor. It looked like the grinding was done on an extra coarse wheel. It was sold as a "satin finish" razor; they never would have been able to polish a blade with such deep scratches.

Although I do not know the history of my razor, my suspicion the razor was a previous return and CS cut the price in an attempt to recover a portion some of their investment. The only razors on sale were "satin finish". Did they have similar scratches? I have no idea.

When I first received the razor, there were microchips in the edge. I fully anticipate having to retouch a factory edge, but I have never seen microchips. I killed the edge to remove the chips and then tried to hone the blade using one layer of tape as recommended by Hart. Every time I went to a finishing hone, whether synthetic or natural, I got additional microchips and had to start over. The chipping occurred even with light pressure on the hones.

I was finally able to get a decent shave from the razor by setting the bevel without tape to remove some of the scratches and then honing a secondary bevel with two layers of tape on top of the first one. With two layers of tape, I no longer got microchips. However, with the less acute bevel, the edge is not as sharp as I would like for my tough beard, but I no longer get nicks and cuts when shaving.

The Hart is still in my razor rotation, but it is my least favorite shaver. I get Great shaves from all my other razors, vintage or modern. Even the Gold Dollar razors I honed from factory dull to shave ready give closer, more comfortable shaves. I expected more from a "made in USA" razor, even one on sale.

I did not attempt to return the razor, so I do not know how CS would have handled the return. I chose to keep the razor to refine my honing skills. Perhaps one day, I will obtain a finishing hone that will put a suitable edge on this razor, but by then I will have spent far more on hones than the $150 I saved purchasing the Hart on sale.

I understand that my Hart is an individual production sample and other Harts might not be like mine. However, I have read other reports of Hart O1 tool steel blades having a tendency to develop microchips, especially on high grit synthetics like the Naniwa 12K superstone. My blade certainly has that tendency.

I am not advising others to avoid Hart razors, but I would advise them to be suspicious of any razor, no matter what the brand, being sold at a steep discount.

Top Bottom