What's new

Hart Steel razor's on great sale, could not resist

I ordered a 6/8 Hart Steel razor, round point with black handle for only $135. They had a sale price of $195 previously and when I saw this I just had to pull the trigger.

I believe they don't need to be honed when you get them, is that true?

That sounds like a great price on a really nice razor. Congrats. I think lately the edges on Harts "from the factory" have been hit or miss, as reported here on B&B.

That sounds like a great price on a really nice razor. Congrats. I think lately the edges on Harts "from the factory" have been hit or miss, as reported here on B&B.

That may be because I don't think Hart steel is the same Hart steel.
Classic shaving was sold, since Hart was owned by CS I pretty sure Hart is under new ownership as well.
That being said, I could be wrong

I purchased the same in square point. The price was too good to pass up, but I've heard mixed reviews so we'll see.

I've had a number of straights over the years but ultimately sold them all as I just didn't have the time to do devote. We will see if the Hart can draw me back in.

Classic Shave so far has provided great customer support and they confirmed that they will hone the Hart razor before it goes out to me. Not sure if they have new ownership but even if they did, I cant imagine they fire everyone at Hart Steel and replace them with sub standard employees who lack the skills to make a great razor.

Hart Steel's web site impressed me with how they make their razors.

What is Different About Hart Steel Razors?

1. Each razor is made, from start to finish, by an individual craftsman. The initials on the tang are the maker's assurance of quality.
  2. All blades are made from new O-1 tool steel. There are no old forgings or “mystery metal”.
  3. All blades are surface ground before and after heat treating. These razors are guaranteed to be straight for ease of stropping and honing.
  4. All blades are heat treated in a molten salt bath. The salt protects the blades from decarberization and oxidation.
  5. All blades are frozen in liquid nitrogen. The deep freezing assures dimensional stability.
  6. All blades are triple tempered for a final hardness of 62 – 63 HRC.
  7. All blades are finish honed on a vintage Escher hone and hand stropped. Every blade is “shave ready” right out of the box.
Thank you for you interest in Hart Steel. We encourage you to consider purchasing this American-made tool that will last a lifetime.

Last edited:
The price was too good for me too. Hopefully there aren't any issues and it is shave ready. Guess I'm just skeptical of the low price.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
The price was too good for me too. Hopefully there aren't any issues and it is shave ready. Guess I'm just skeptical of the low price.
It's about time we got a post out of you! :lol: Welcome!

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If the edge is sub par that's an easy fix by one of our pro honers here.

It's about time we got a post out of you! :lol: Welcome!

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If the edge is sub par that's an easy fix by one of our pro honers here.

Thanks! I am a professional lurker... I am active on other forums, but not so much here (yet). I'm no pro honer, but I imagine it will only need a touch up.

I randomly checked classic shaving, saw the sale, and then immediately bought 2 razors. Got a 5/8" round point and a 6/8" square tip with maple scales.

I randomly checked classic shaving, saw the sale, and then immediately bought 2 razors. Got a 5/8" round point and a 6/8" square tip with maple scales.

Do you find it difficult to change from 5/8 to 6/8 due to the weight difference which requires a different pressure?
I have a Merkur short DE and their heavier Futur DR and found myself so comfortable with heavier razor that the lighter one I had to focus more with if I switched to using it

What do you like with the square point over a round? People generally say the square point you can cut yourself easier than the round

Last edited:
Do you find it difficult to change from 5/8 to 6/8 due to the weight difference which requires a different pressure?
I have a Merkur short DE and their heavier Futur DR and found myself so comfortable with heavier razor that the lighter one I had to focus more with if I switched to using it

What do you like with the square point over a round? People generally say the square point you can cut yourself easier than the round

I don't have them yet, just ordered them. Like with any razor, though, you get used to the weight and feel of it and adjust when you use it. That goes for straights or safety razors.

Yeah, the point could get you if you aren't careful, but you could slice or cut yourself with any razor if you aren't careful. I got different tips for variety. I think a square tip is probably a little easier for detailed areas that you can't get with the heel (think sideburns near your ears). Really it is all just personal preference after a certain point.

My Hart 6/8 round razor came today. Initial impression, it was packaged well, it came in a nice box, instructions and allen key inside. The blade had a little oil on it and it was wrapped in wax paper. Very solid razor and easy to grab. There is quality when you hold and look at this razor.

$fullsizeoutput_3321.jpg$fullsizeoutput_331f.jpg$fullsizeoutput_3322.jpg$fullsizeoutput_3320.jpg

I've been following posts about the Hart razor for 7 years now, and this sale has finally gotten me to pull the trigger. I went for the 6/8 round point in white, and shaved with it this morning. At the beginning of the shave I did not think much of it, but by the end of the second pass I was amazed at how easily it did the job. It wasn't a shave that had me touching my face throughout the day like some amazing shaves do, but it was one of the best out-of-the-box shaves I have ever had. I really like how thick the tang is, and the jimps on the bottom are just right. The scales are strange plastic things that have a roughness that I actually like. The blade sits deeply in the scales, almost hiding away for protection. The balance is just right for stropping and shaving.

However, now I have a quandary: I have an aversion to using tape while honing. Do I suck it up and use tape while touching up, or do I rehone without tape?

Well, maybe I'll just buy another one at this price while I still can, and use it without tape. Too bad the 6/8 half-hollow isn't on sale.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I've been following posts about the Hart razor for 7 years now, and this sale has finally gotten me to pull the trigger. I went for the 6/8 round point in white, and shaved with it this morning. At the beginning of the shave I did not think much of it, but by the end of the second pass I was amazed at how easily it did the job. It wasn't a shave that had me touching my face throughout the day like some amazing shaves do, but it was one of the best out-of-the-box shaves I have ever had. I really like how thick the tang is, and the jimps on the bottom are just right. The scales are strange plastic things that have a roughness that I actually like. The blade sits deeply in the scales, almost hiding away for protection. The balance is just right for stropping and shaving.

However, now I have a quandary: I have an aversion to using tape while honing. Do I suck it up and use tape while touching up, or do I rehone without tape?

Well, maybe I'll just buy another one at this price while I still can, and use it without tape. Too bad the 6/8 half-hollow isn't on sale.

I reset the bevels on mine without tape. Incredible shaves followed.

I reset the bevel without tape, was on the final stone, and I frigging dropped it! Put a dent in the edge and had to start over. First time I have ever dropped a straight - in 8 years of using straights!

So I finished last night and shaved today, and it was even better than before. I can't believe how easy it was to reset the bevel. I had never worked with 0-1 steel before, didn't know what to expect. And it doesn't appear to want to rust either. Pretty sweet.

They are on sale again for one day.

Top Bottom