What's new

Handwriting samples, pics! Let us see yours.

It's not horrible free, if anything I think you may just need practice and focus on some key issues that you don't like... I go after individual letters u write and work on them to figure out what works for me

I agree, its not horrible, just a bit unrefined. I say do two to four pages of straight line and oblique excercizes a day for a week and show us again. It takes only 10 minutes to do these excercizes, also try and focus on your posture. I found that when I first started on the Palmer method I was tensing up my left shoulder and holding it raised. I just took a deep breath and dropped my shoulder and everything became easier. I still had to retrain my muscles, but I felt better with good posture.

-Xander

OK here is my chicken scratch!!! Excuse the sorry photography!!!
$IMG_0160.jpg
Tom

My cursive is improving but I have to really concentrate and write slowly. Only a weeks worth of practice though, since I got my first fountain pens.
$IMG_1690.jpg

A bit of goofing around with ornamental penmanship at work today. One of my younger employees actually used the phrase in a conversation today...

proxy.php

Zebra F-701 modified, FSP4 refill.

-Xander

Yeah, I never really tried it much either, my only flex nib pen needs repair right now but it doesn't even flex that much. Considering a Noodlers Ahab this month, though. I have realized I have gotten sloppy, I am revisiting the excercizes for palmer method again. Back to obliques and straight lines.

-X

Yeah, I never really tried it much either, my only flex nib pen needs repair right now but it doesn't even flex that much. Considering a Noodlers Ahab this month, though. I have realized I have gotten sloppy, I am revisiting the excercizes for palmer method again. Back to obliques and straight lines.

-X
I have an Ahab. Honestly, I would prefer a different nib for shading. It's a bit stiff. I've ordered a few flex nibs and a wood holder to go with my inkwell for practicing my ornamental penmanship.

I have an Ahab. Honestly, I would prefer a different nib for shading. It's a bit stiff. I've ordered a few flex nibs and a wood holder to go with my inkwell for practicing my ornamental penmanship.

I have a speedball holder and an old koh-i-nor holder with a bunch of different nibs, but I don't think any of them are flex. My mother did caligraphy for years as a side job and she always used italic nibs. She didn't do any fine line stuff really. I just don't like using dip pen much, which is why I wanted a filler pen.

-X

I have a speedball holder and an old koh-i-nor holder with a bunch of different nibs, but I don't think any of them are flex. My mother did caligraphy for years as a side job and she always used italic nibs. She didn't do any fine line stuff really. I just don't like using dip pen much, which is why I wanted a filler pen.

-X
i just wrote you a response with my Ahab trying to get as much flex from it as I could--and then remembered my laptop is in the shop and I don't know how to upload images from an iPad.

In any advent, I would like more flex for proper ornamental/copper plate styles. The Ahab is good for adding some flourish to Palmer script, but I need more for serious shading work.

i just wrote you a response with my Ahab trying to get as much flex from it as I could--and then remembered my laptop is in the shop and I don't know how to upload images from an iPad.

In any advent, I would like more flex for proper ornamental/copper plate styles. The Ahab is good for adding some flourish to Palmer script, but I need more for serious shading work.

Well, for the price of an ahab, I can get my Parker Duofold Vacumatic with gold flex nib repaired, but then I don't ge a new pen! What to do, what to do. I'll dig through the piles of nibs for the dip pens and see what I come up with.

-Xander

Ok, a little more thought out goofing off. Parker Duofold medium flex nib (used as a dip pen, it non functioning currently) and vintage Sheaffer Skrip ink on Canson XL sketch paper. My name and my sons name. I tried a speedball C-6 nib and it was too stiff and to scratchy for this paper, and the ink feathered like crazy, but the Skrip is better behaved.

proxy.php

-Xander

Once my first fountain pens arrive you, I'll show you guys what kind of penmanship a left-handed guy who's teachers gave up on him's handwriting looks like...terrible. The only advantage is that I am a printer and have access to a lot of fine paper, lol.

My handwriting looks like a kid was trying to write while fist-gripping the pen in a car with no shocks driving on a dirt road...

Once it gets better; I'll post a sample. :D Either that or I'll write something when get home & scan it in later tonight.

Last edited:
Ok, a little more thought out goofing off. Parker Duofold medium flex nib (used as a dip pen, it non functioning currently) and vintage Sheaffer Skrip ink on Canson XL sketch paper. My name and my sons name. I tried a speedball C-6 nib and it was too stiff and to scratchy for this paper, and the ink feathered like crazy, but the Skrip is better behaved.

proxy.php

-Xander
By that sample, I would prefer that nib to the Ahab.
Im jealous by the way; that's some mighty fine work.

Well, don't let the amount of shading fool you, that nib can't go that far. That "Z" is about twice as wide as the nib can go. I wish it was a fine with flex, but it is more of a medium, its great for everyday writing. Maybe I'll send it to a nibmeister and have it refined a bit more.

About the work, that's with 40 minutes of practice from observing exemplar pages from IAMPETH, once I figured out the stroke direction of the capitals it came quite naturally. Fortunatly it is very close to my native slope, so I can (not that I should) write at a reasonably fast rate like this. The lower case is my everyday cursive. I do plan on developing this further, and I now would like to use this as my official signature, not for credit slips and such, but for documents.

-Xander

Top Bottom