What's new

Gyros!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Yep- generally spelled "donair" in Canada

I thought it was spelled doneh in Canada.

Spelled "donair" but pronounced "donaireh".

Yeah, I almost always see "donair" instead of "gyro". (My American spell-check is just fine with "gyro" but "donair' brings out that little red underline. What's that all aboot, eh?)

Generally, I hear it pronounced "dun-AIR" rather than "DON-er", which I gather is more common in England.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Yeah, I almost always see "donair" instead of "gyro". (My American spell-check is just fine with "gyro" but "donair' brings out that little red underline. What's that all aboot, eh?)

Generally, I hear it pronounced "dun-AIR" rather than "DON-er", which I gather is more common in England.

I had a look to see if there was any other difference other than spelling. Nope, same tasty thing just with a different spelling.

From Wikipedia.
It may refer to a number of different kebab dishes made with roasted or grilled meat. ... It is sometimes spelled döner kebap, the Turkish spelling, and it literally means "rotating roast". In English, it may also be spelled "doner", "donar", "donair" (in Canada) or sometimes "donner".

My last go at makin Gyro's...was delish!!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Mix ingredients below with Kitchen Aid mixer until almost paste like. Let sit in fridge overnight.
Ingredients
1 lb ground lamb
1 lb ground lean beef
1/2 cup of plain bread crumbs
1 tbs onion powder
1 tbs dried oregano
2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tbs dried chili flakes

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Mix ingredients below with Kitchen Aid mixer until almost paste like. Let sit in fridge overnight.
Ingredients
1 lb ground lamb
1 lb ground lean beef
1/2 cup of plain bread crumbs
1 tbs onion powder
1 tbs dried oregano
2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tbs dried chili flakes

Thank you [MENTION=114317]Dirtbuddy[/MENTION].

I'm ganna give the gyro a spin on the rotisserie this weekend. I hope it doesn't plop down into the fire.
Pretty sure Alton Brown did an episode of Good Eats on gyro meat at home. If you can find it, I seem to recall it having tips on keeping it on the rotisserie as well.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Pretty sure Alton Brown did an episode of Good Eats on gyro meat at home. If you can find it, I seem to recall it having tips on keeping it on the rotisserie as well.

I'm thinking about wrapping it up in plastic wrap like a small football, then placing it in the freezer for 15 or 20 to get it to firm up then slide onto spit.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I found a new gyro shop a little closer. I actually managed to only buy one. I was so proud of myself.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Looks good.

With the big spools of gyro meat the meat is sliced off as needed so each slice has a bit of crispy. At home I cut thin slices and then fry it a bit on one side. Comes close.

Top Bottom