*** WINNER***Grudge Match: OT Vs NEW

Who's going to win the Grudge Match?

• The Old Type

• The NEW

Results are only viewable after voting.

Grudge Match: Old Type Versus NEW

proxy.php

From Gillette History we read:
1901 King C. Gillette fundamentally transformed shaving with the invention of the first safety razor, which was granted a patent on November 15[SUP]th[/SUP],1904.

But Gillette was facing a patent that was running out and come out with the NEW. Some say Some say that Gillette got it right the first time others claim that Gillette improved and perfected on there original design.

For the sake of history we want to settle this once and for all. Which is the better razor?

$Old and NEW.jpg

The rules are simple:
2 razors.....1 face....3 shaves

You agree to preform 3 shaves through out the month of February
You agree that during the same shave to shave half of your face with the Old Type and the other half of your face with the NEW.
You agree to post the results of each shave round.

If you own both of these razors just post below that you are in....If you have what it takes.

Here are some of the Guidelines:

You have to use the same type of blade in each.
Old Type can be either thin or thick
NEW can be LC or SC (no NEW improved, NEW deluxe or other variations)
You are locked into the same two razors during the whole 3 rounds
Try to pick similar types of handle if you can.
You have to use a Made in the USA razor. No English or Canadian or any other country.
NO CLONES ALLOWED.

Round one will be Old Type on the left and NEW on the right.

Each round should be judged in the following ways:

SCORE CARD:

Efficiency: Old Type or NEW
Smoothness: Old Type or NEW
Ease of the shave (grip, stroke and angle....): Old Type or NEW
overall experience: Old Type or NEW

Winner of round (one, two or three): Old Type or NEW

If you have both of these razors and want to settle this once and for all, post "You're in" below. The Grudge match will begin February 1st and run the whole month of February.

If you need an idea of what this involves here are the last two epic Grudge Matches:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/476478-Grudge-match-Fatboy-vs-Slim-*WINNER*?p=7878206#post7878206

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...rsus-Raised-Flat-Bottom?p=7947294#post7947294

Last edited:
1901 King C. Gillette fundamentally transformed shaving with the invention of the first safety razor, which was granted a patent on November 15th,1904.

The basic form of a razor, "the cutting blade of which is at right angles with the handle, and resembles somewhat the form of a common hoe", was first described in a patent application in 1847 by William S. Henson. This also covered a "comb tooth guard or protector" which could be attached both to the hoe form and to a conventional straight razor.

The first attested use of the term "safety razor" is in a patent application for "new and useful improvements in Safety-Razors", filed in May 1880 by Fredrik and Otto Kampfe of Brooklyn, New York, and issued the following month.

I'm in. But is this 3 shaves in January or February? The original post says both.

One more quibble about the intro: It wasn't the NEW that was created to deal with an expiring patent. That was the New Improved, rolled out in 1921 because the original 1904 patent was only good for 17 years.

Anyway, this should be fun...

Just curious but wouldn't you want at least 4 shave to get each razor on the same side twice? Or am I reading that wrong? (Which I'm known for doing frequently:)

Just curious but wouldn't you want at least 4 shave to get each razor on the same side twice? Or am I reading that wrong? (Which I'm known for doing frequently:)
3 is just the minimum requirement. In the Fatboy Slim Grudge match a few guys stretched it to 4 or more. I believe I went 6 or 8. Go until you feel you can pick a winner, or you feel it is a draw for you.

3 is just the minimum requirement. In the Fatboy Slim Grudge match a few guys stretched it to 4 or more. I believe I went 6 or 8. Go until you feel you can pick a winner, or you feel it is a draw for you.

Got it. Knew I was missing something there. Thanks Troy.

Got it. Knew I was missing something there. Thanks Troy.
Now that I'm thinking about it the first three may have been the only ones that went to the official count. I can't remember exactly how it was scored in the end. I'm sure John can clear it up better.

I'm in. But is this 3 shaves in January or February? The original post says both.

One more quibble about the intro: It wasn't the NEW that was created to deal with an expiring patent. That was the New Improved, rolled out in 1921 because the original 1904 patent was only good for 17 years.

Anyway, this should be fun...

February, I fixed the OP.

Each round is a shave and there are only 3 rounds that count for the Grudge Match. If you want to do more shaves then feel free to do so and feel free to share your results but these will be unsanctioned fights taking place in the alley behind the arena.

Top Bottom