What's new

Greater Boston MA Meetup?

There doesn't seem to be a wet shaving meetup near Boston, MA. Any interest in a semi-regualr meetup for talking about wet shaving, PIF'ing, and trading goods?

I'm on the North Shore. I'd be interested in this - though scheduling will be hard for me. None the less, I'd like to be on this group "list".

I would be interested in a weekend get together if reasonably close (- 100 miles). I am in Western Massachusetts. Only weekend gatherings are workable for me.

Sorry guys for staying in touch. I had a medical issue that required surgery and I've been in recovery for the past month. Can we shoot for mid-day Saturday at Colonial Drug on July 9th or 23rd?

Is Colonial Drug in Newton Ma? I have never been there and wonder if they have seating and are ok with us and our straight razors. I am in either date. Thanks!

Shoe, I hope that you had a good recovery and are doing well. njtnjt, yes, Colonial Drug is now in Newton. A few years ago, they were driven from their home in Cambridge by astronomical rents and moved to Newton.

I could do July 23rd, but will be on a family vacation in Washington DC on the 9th. Regarding Colonial Drug, I haven't been there since they moved from there original location in Cambridge to Newton. I don't recall them stocking any straight razors in Cambridge, however I believe that they are now located in a space with Stoddard Cutlery, which reportedly does stock (and know about) Straight razors.

I don't know what their room situation is, so don't know if they can host or would be willing to host. Perhaps our get together could take the form of a visit to Colonial/Stoddards followed by a sit down lunch in a nearby restaurant where we bring some show + tell items and tell tall shaving stories. :001_smile

Cathy (or Kathy) is the owner of Colonial and is by all accounts a pleasant person. I never met Cathy, but in instead a far less pleasant man who seemed to be there every Saturday afternoon when I'd pop in. I live a few towns away and have some flexibility during the day, so would be willing to be a point person.

If July 9th works better for most people, I'd still be willing to do the local legwork.

Please post your thoughts about meeting someplace for lunch.

I've been to the new Colonial Drug location. It's pretty tight in terms of room. Parking on a Saturday is free and hopefully there will be a good supply of parking spaces. The good news is that there's a pub across the street.

I concur regarding the dour gentleman behind the counter who has the look and demeanor of the stereotypical "snooty waiter" at a haute French restaurant.

Also during lunch we should allow some time for barter/trading. I have some soaps from Reef Point and blade packs I'd like to trade. Also I have some PIF items from Taylor of Old Bond Street, Porasso, and an assortment of after-shave products that I tried and didn't like.

I'd recommend the 23rd rather than the 9th. To avoid vacation conflicts. Either way in tentative. I'd love to go though.

Are there any other potential meet up locations in the greater Boston, or even greater New England area? I went to colonial this week and found that their shaving section is confined to one section of the store that would be cramped if 3 people were all wanting to browse at the same time.

Also - I found the stock to be, well, very colonial....lots of English/euro/Italian "high end" and mass produced soaps. A few things I had never seen, but were prices high. Actually most prices (not all) were priced higher than what you can find online. I'm sure it's very hard to beat online prices, and I don't mind supporting my local retail stores - however I honestly was not compelled to buy any of the product in stock. Though I think I'm more interested in artisan products.

I hate to sound like I'm bashing, and unfortunately I think this is coming off that way - but I can honestly say I will never need to make the 2.5 hour round trip again. Unless of course they change their stock over to something I think more current with our evolving hobby.

I recently listened to an interview of the owner of Pastures in NYC and he noted that he is adding artisans to his line up as its why people are looking for. I hope that Colonial may see this as well and will make a similar change.

With all that said - I'll meet you afterwards at the restaurant. Or maybe there are other potential locations?? My next visit will be to our local barbers (Cambridge) to check them out, but I anticipate having the same findings.

[MENTION=108460]SamariJack[/MENTION]:

I'd be open to alternative locations. Someone suggested Colonial Drug and I went along with it. If you have other suggestions feel free to share.

Top Bottom