Good morning gentlemen... I am looking for a second brush

Discussion in 'Shaving Brushes' started by jeff_C, Jun 10, 2012.

  1. I have been using the same brush for years. Its an Edwin Jagger Badger brush and I have always liked it. Then I found this site... and now, I want another LOL.

    So, can anyone recommend a good second brush? I am on a bit of a budget so low cost would be a good thing. I would also be interested in buying used. So preferably something that is pretty common that I might get a good response to with a WTB post. But I dont really know what to specifically ask for.

    I think I want to stick with badger. Right or wrong I was always told it was "better".

    So, where should I start my research/hunting?

    Jeff
     
  2. At this point I mainly use a Simpsons Special in pure & a Berkeley in best. The Special is around $25 & the Berkeley is about $50 depending on where you look. They're both great brushes IMO.
     
  3. Jeff, Give a Semogue Boar brush a try. I recomend the 1305, it makes great lather and it doesn't matter if you are a bowl, or facelatherer. It works either way, and it goes for under $20.

    Clayton
     
  4. I have done a little bit of reading on boar vs badger... any thoughts there? I hear boar doesnt last as long... But of course its less expensive. Thoughts?
     
  5. Welcome to B&B......

    Do you want a face lathering brush

    OR

    A bowl lathering brush


    Until you tell us what you want you will get nothing but "I like/have this brush" kind of answers

    Also state a price (or range). there's no point telling you about a $200 Rooney if you want to spend $35 or telling you about a $15 boar when you want to spend $100
     
  6. AABCDS

    AABCDS Contributor

    Exactly! What do and don't you like about your EJ brush?
     
  7. The Simpson Colonel, a good all around brush especially if you bowl lather, is the WCS deal of today. If the B&B discount code works on top of the deal, it's under $50.
     
  8. 90% of the time I use soap in a bowl. The other 10% I use a cream and face lather.

    Id like to keep it around 30-40.00
     
  9. AABCDS

    AABCDS Contributor

    For that price range, I'd suggest a TGN, Whipped Dog, or boar brush.
     
  10. StuMcB

    StuMcB Contributor

    No one going to mention FS?
     
  11. Sounds like a job for a nice boar. I love my badgers for cream and soft soaps, but for soap in a bowl I get he best out of a nice boar. Buy an SOC and never ever look back.
     
  12. What is FS and SOC?
     
  13. Franks Shaving and Semogue Owners Club.
     
  14. Prof. Moriarty

    Prof. Moriarty Steward

    FS is Frank Shaving (a cheap type of badger brush). And SOC means Semogue Owners Club.
    I personally would go with a nice Semogue boar brush.
     
  15. The soc is is a semogue boar brush , its made with a high grade of boar bristle , once it breaks in it will be soft and great backbone to handle the soaps you prefer .Vintage scent has what I believe are the best prices here is a link http://vintagescent.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=113. The brush has many fans all the "cool wet shavers have one " . Here is just one of the links for brush http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...Pics-and-First-Impressions?highlight=soc+boar
     
  16. Thank you all! Great suggestions!
     
  17. Semouge 1305
     
  18. If you want a boar I suggest checking out West Coast Shaving..they're having a deal going on right now that if you order a Semogue brush you get free shipping on your entire order..good chance to snag a couple of other things while you're at it.

    I believe it also requires a coupon code..but I don't know it off of the top of my head.

    Makes me ALMOST (almost) wish I didn't get my Omega 10086 (though I do love it) so I'd have an excuse to get a Semogue and Captain's Choice. :lol:
     
  19. Well I did find a very affordable Omega 48 on the sales forum. So that may temper my curiosity about boars brushes for the time being. :)

    But of course with my new found obsession...cough....er... uh.. hobby... there is always room for more!
     

Share This Page