What's new

Good Gin?

Gentlemen,

What is a good gin that does not overpower you with the juniper berries. For me they have a taste that is hard to overcome. I understand that in most gins that juniper berries are like a cornerstone, but I'm looking for something different if its out there.

Thanks & Cheers!

I find Fleishmans Gin is not overpowered with Juniper. It's quite mild. My Dad drank it for that very reason - mild and not to Junipery. In prefer others myself.

Try New Amsterdam (cheap) or Hendrick's (expensive).
Another vote for these two. The New Amsterdam is probably the best deal in all of libation as far as the price vs quality goes. Hendricks is also great, though by no means cheap. If price is not an option, try Monkey 47. Exquisite!!

Aviation also is a good one, as is Tanqueray Ten.
I haven't tried either gin, but I trust TexLaw's judgement!!!

$IMG_4505.jpg

One of the best I have tried.

Hendrick's for top quality and availability reasons...

But....

If you can ever track a bottle down, pick up Ungava. It distills as a neat tasting yellow gin. The yellow is from the rose hips in it. Made in Canada. And it's probably the best gin I've ever tasted for the money.... Which is reasonable.

Friends who are bartenders say they usually recommend either Hendrick's or New Amsterdam to people who either say they don't like gin or are just edging into gin from vodka.
Neither of those are absolute favorites of mine but I'll take Hendrick's over New Amsterdam any day. Hendrick's has a distinct floral and cucumber nose. New Amsterdam is all about citrus but to my palate it comes across more as faux citrus rather than the real deal.
I like Maine's Back River Gin but it may be difficult for you to obtain and quite possibly just not your thing. As with the above the juniper is dialed down and cassia cinnamon, blueberry and floral notes are evident. Sweeter than some gins but not so sweet as many Old Toms or genevers. I also like Aviation gin which floral and citrus forward but both are fairly subtly handled; the scent/flavors are there in some complexity but they don't punch you in the face. Martin Miller's Gin is another one I like. The juniper is dialed down relative to a classic London Dry but it is probably more juniper forward than any of the above. I get citrus (orange peel), licorice and cucumber on top of the juniper.
Some contemporary gins I have not tasted that come well reviewed from acquaintances whose palates I tend to trust include St George Botanivore and Terrior gins and Beehive Jack Rabbit Gin.
There are so many "craft" gins out there these days that it is almost impossible to keep up.

My go to gin for the past few years is Bootlegger 21 Gin made by Prohibition Distillery in Roscoe NY. Not to heavy on any of the flavors, but a smooth pleasant drink regardless of what you're using it for.

New Amsterdam is good. I'd also highly recommend Dry Fly gin made in Washington State if you can get it where you live. Sadly, I can't get it here so I have to resort to bootlegging it back to Ohio when I go home for visits.

New Amsterdam is good. I'd also highly recommend Dry Fly gin made in Washington State if you can get it where you live. Sadly, I can't get it here so I have to resort to bootlegging it back to Ohio when I go home for visits.

I agree, Dry Fly is very good as is Aviation. However, for a gin & tonic I usually go with regular Tanqueray.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
New Amsterdam is mighty citrus forward. I drink it with soda and don't even add a squeeze of lemon.

If you want near absence of Juniper then you have the suggestions you need. If you want a good balance, then my choice is Plymouth.

I'm a big fan of Broker's. No frills, but tasty. I used to be a big fan of Bombay Sapphire, but looking back, I think that was hype more than liking the taste.

I'm a big fan of Broker's. No frills, but tasty. I used to be a big fan of Bombay Sapphire, but looking back, I think that was hype more than liking the taste.

I agree, regarding Bombay (haven't tried Broker's). Bombay Sapphire is what got me into gin but that's where Bombay Sapphire ended with my gin journey. To me, a good gin is good on it's own. BS doesn't appeal to me on it's own. Not to say it doesn't have it's place, it does.... It got me interested, after all. But, yes, the hype is high and the bottle is purdy, for the most part.

If any of you gin drinkers are ever vacationing in the Eastern Canadian province of Nova Scotia, sometime in your life, take a drive to (beautiful) Lunenberg and have a tour of Ironworks Distillery. The micro-distillery is in an old blacksmith building (hence the name). In my opinion, they make THE BEST gin that I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. It's the owner's "baby" of all their spirits. The only reason I haven't suggested it here, is that it isn't really distributed (that might have changed). Lunenberg is the home port of the Bluenose II schooner, as well. Take a peek at their still. Just about the prettiest piece of metalwork I've ever laid eyes on. Anyway, just wanted to share.

$Ironworks-Distillery-Still.jpg

Top Bottom