What's new

Gonna try the R41 2011 steep angle approach. Any helpful hints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never measured, nor I think it's easy to measure it, accurately at least. But ... I'll throw in my number ... I estimate the angle I use to be very close to 90° ... I'll say 75° :

View attachment 454679

That is very helpful Edgar. If you feel up to it, could you draw one that would show a shallow angle so we could see for comparison.
I could never get a smooth shave with my R41 2013. Maybe this would help.

That is very helpful Edgar. If you feel up to it, could you draw one that would show a shallow angle so we could see for comparison.
I could never get a smooth shave with my R41 2013. Maybe this would help.

This was done some time ago ... It will give you an idea at least ... Hope you enjoy my masterpiece :001_rolle:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-of-the-Muhle-R41-BEAST?p=6145480#post6145480

$construct-30-degree1.jpg

Last edited:
All of the above, in particularly the slick lather suggestion is a MUST. If it dries the blade will skip and nick you. I've used shallow and steep angle and boy you can tell the difference with the blade touching the skin.

Easy goes and no nicks or weepers :thumbup1:

Subscribed. I have had mixed results using the steep angle technique, so I am following this thread with rapt attention (and digging into my closet for my stash of Mike's).

All of the above, in particularly the slick lather suggestion is a MUST. If it dries the blade will skip and nick you. I've used shallow and steep angle and boy you can tell the difference with the blade touching the skin.

Easy goes and no nicks or weepers :thumbup1:
I've made nice super lathers in the past using MWF and Cremo cream. I think that Mitchell's Wool Fat soap and Cremo's incredibly slick n0n-lathering cream fits your specs. No?

Edgar, thanks for the diagram. I have taken the liberty of adding a piece. The key piece of the R41 shave, I believe.

I roughly sketched the comb in green over your image. The comb rolls the skin changing its angle of approach radically, so the blade does not actually cut at the original 75 degrees, but at a much more shallow angle. The skin rolls over the comb changing its angle. The skin is also stretched by the comb. Shallow angle shaving greatly diminishes the combs effectiveness. Steep angle shaving engages the comb's benefits.
OK...this part is very helpful. Pressure is essential for this to work. That goes so much against my training and experience that it stretches believability. Steep angle? Pressure you say? Heresy...to the guillotine! Off with their heads!

Thanks for the clarification. I'm going to shake my head, do my prep and follow the directions as provided. In other words: accept this with blind faith. I'm assuming that the first shaves will be part of the learning curve, but will post my initial impressions anyway.

Last edited:
OK...this part is very helpful. Pressure is essential for this to work. That goes so much against my training and experience that it stretches believability. Steep angle? Pressure? Heresy...to the guillotine!

Thanks for the clarification. I'm going to shake my head, do my prep and follow the directions as provided. I'll assume the first shaves will be part of the learning curve, but will post my initial impressions anyway.

I wouldn't put it that way, Jim.

It requires the same pressure as with any other razor. The action of the comb stretching the skin is very subtle, almost imperceptible.

The fact is that ... it works!

Pressure is very slight, only what is sufficient to roll skin over comb. Comb takes almost all of that slight pressure so the blade gets very little.

Very helpful diagrams, much appreciated. I've been using a Fatip Grande for the last 19 shaves, with a very shallow angle(30-40*) and am getting very good results this way. I wasn't aware that the open comb served so many functions as mentioned in above posts. But my using a shallow angle entirely bypasses these as the comb hardly plays any role. I would like to learn how to incorporate its benefits. I understand what the OP is trying to do (with the r41) and will be following these results closely.
I am curious to know if I could replicate these results with my Fatip and will this be useful for all aggressive open comb razors?
To aimsport and nuclerblast, I am not able to understand the application of pressure. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying to gently push down on the open comb until the blade is just felt?

Very helpful diagrams, much appreciated. I've been using a Fatip Grande for the last 19 shaves, with a very shallow angle(30-40*) and am getting very good results this way. I wasn't aware that the open comb served so many functions as mentioned in above posts. But my using a shallow angle entirely bypasses these as the comb hardly plays any role. I would like to learn how to incorporate its benefits. I understand what the OP is trying to do (with the r41) and will be following these results closely.
I am curious to know if I could replicate these results with my Fatip and will this be useful for all aggressive open comb razors?
To aimsport and nuclerblast, I am not able to understand the application of pressure. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying to gently push down on the open comb until the blade is just felt?

No ... do not use any pressure. Just shave as you usually do, only using a steep angle if you are willing to try it. I do not own a FaTip, but many people have tried the steep angle with it too, and they reported great results.

Really, forget about the pressure part, NO additional pressure is necessary! Light pressure and firm grip, that's all. Short rapid strokes too.
Try it with the Fatip and report back! :thumbup1:

No ... do not use any pressure. Just shave as you usually do, only using a steep angle if you are willing to try it. I do not own a FaTip, but many people have tried the steep angle with it too, and they reported great results.

Really, forget about the pressure part, NO additional pressure is necessary! Light pressure and firm grip, that's all. Short rapid strokes too.
Try it with the Fatip and report back! :thumbup1:

Thank you for clarifying my doubt Sir. I will try this tomorrow morning with a steep angle and no pressure and report my findings.

Ok, first shave completed. I will table my responses to the posts above for now.

On my first attempt I had some issues (expected ones) with consistency. I started with an extreme shallow angle out of force of habit--then caught and corrected myself. There were some translation problems as well. Apparently, "normal" pressure means something entirely different to me.

Does a steep angle work? As mentioned, the first shave is pretty much a throw-away due to the lack of consistency on my part. The flat areas went very well. After two passes, these areas (cheek and neck) were near BBS. I did have trouble maintaining a steep angle on my chin and jawline. Here, I need more practice.

In terms of comfort, the shave went well. I usually test irritation level with a healthy dose of Tabac cologne, which is not shy about pointing out areas of irritation. The stinging levels were below what I expected from this shave.

Overall, it's too early to even hint at a conclusion. So far, the steep angle is at least promising--and likely to be more than that.

Starting in a few days, I'll do my usual testing routine at home. I'll post detailed scores from time to time if members want,

I rate on a 1-10 scale based on:

1. CLOSENESS
2. COMFORT
3. DURABILITY (measured after 12 hours)
4. FEEDBACK (audible sound the razor gives during the shave)
5. ENJOYMENT
6. TIME (amount of time it takes to complete a 2- pass shave, plus touch up). This is not included in the final results.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom