What's new

Gimbels Butterscotch Restoration

Picked this one up recently and it was in pretty good shape except for the Knot. The handle seems to be made of Catalin going by the swirl and translucent nature of the material. I normally start with just a clean and polish to see what it needs from there. This one might just need the polish, I don't see any major scratches. Before Pictures.
$P6305769.JPG$P6305779.JPG$P6305778.JPG

Last edited:
Picked this one up recently and it was in pretty good shape except for the Knot. The handle seems to be made of Catalin going by the swirl and translucent nature of the material. I normally start with just a clean and polish to see what it needs from there. This one might just need the polish, I don't see any major scratches. Before Pictures.

That's a great looking brush. Sweet shape to it.

Had a little time to work on this one. Here's a few more pictures of the handle after knot removal and polish. It cleaned up very nice with just a buffing wheel on a drill press for the lower speed. The opening is just under 19mm so an 18mm knot would be perfect. Think I have one in my box of knots I'll have to find.

Attachments

• $P7075831.JPG
    $P7075831.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 131
  • $P7075833.JPG
    $P7075833.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 131
  • $P7075835.JPG
    $P7075835.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 130

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Had a little time to work on this one. Here's a few more pictures of the handle after knot removal and polish. It cleaned up very nice with just a buffing wheel on a drill press for the lower speed. The opening is just under 19mm so an 18mm knot would be perfect. Think I have one in my box of knots I'll have to find.

Did you finish yet:popc:

Did you finish yet:popc:

I finished the handle and have a 18mm knot here but I don't think it is going to be dense enough for my liking. I have to look at different vendors for a nicer knot since the handle really turned out nice. Here's a picture of the handle with the knot I have. Just dry fit.

Attachments

• $P7075840.JPG
    $P7075840.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 107
That's a great looking handle. I have a nice Gimbels lucite I'm going to do this fall. I don't know who did Gimbels brushes, but I've seen about half a dozen and all were very nice. At least to my eye.

Did you ever finish this brush and do you know its age or anything about maker i just picked up one of these a couple weeks ago?

I ended up selling this one on Ebay as I found the handle was really too small for my taste. I'm really trying to only keep the ones that I will use and those that are very unique. This fit the second category but not the first.

I don't know anything about it's age or maker but would guess it to be from the 40's or 50's since it was Catalin.

Top Bottom