What's new

Gillette TechMatic: World's worst razor?

Got it today. Not too bad of a shave. Got a decent 3 pass shave from it

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1415404954998.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1415404954998.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 142
Astronaut Mike Collins used one on Apollo 11, the mission that first landed men on the moon.

+1 ... I was going to mention this, but you beat me to it.

I suspect that seeing this particular model aboard Apollo 11 was an early example of Product Placement, i.e. Gillette donated the razor to NASA for advertising purposes. Then again, I never remember seeing any ads that touted the Techmatic as "The Razor that went to the Moon."

Speaking of advertisements, Techmatic also had some of the worst ads I've ever seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 ... I was going to mention this, but you beat me to it.

I suspect that seeing this particular model aboard Apollo 11 was an early example of Product Placement, i.e. Gillette donated the razor to NASA for advertising purposes. Then again, I never remember seeing any ads that touted the Techmatic as "The Razor that went to the Moon."

Speaking of advertisements, Techmatic also had some of the worst ads I've ever seen.

But that's a great ad! I love the way his voice goes down as his beard gets thicker, though I admit it's more effective getting lower than at the end, when it gets higher. Ending with "razor"way up in his to top register weakens the ad, but still... pretty cute for its era.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got one for Christmas with one new cartridge. I've had no problems with it and have had consistently good shaves the few times I used it. I try not to use it too much because I'm afraid I might not find another cartridge for it.

I wish I had seen this conversation earlier, I didn't think anyone remembered the TechMatic.

I switched from DE razors to a TechMatic in late '60's when I joined the USAF. Needed a razor that was simple to use and quick during basic training. Continued to use it until I served my hitch and then moved to the latest Gillette cartridge starting with the Trac II.

The TechMatic was like going to the butcher shop, at least that was how my face looked no matter how careful I was. The Trac II was better and the following cartridges were alright, I fell back into the lazy mode.

Thank the shaving gods I finally saw the light of day and returned to DE shaving.
:001_rolle

Easily THE WORST razor ever made.

I started shaving when I was 16 -- in 1972 when I was a junior in high school. My dad offered me his single-edge blade razor, but I had already bought a Gillette Techmatic.

So, I did what I saw on TV for years: got hot towels to soften my face. Then I put on plenty of Barbasol shaving cream. Then came the Techmatic.

When I washed off the remaining shaving cream, I looked like I had been thrown -- repeatedly -- through a hedges worth of thorn-laden rose bushes.

"Here: use this styptic powder. It'll stop the bleeding." said my dad. It did stop the bleeding, but not the pain.

Like I said, THE worst razor ever made. If Gillette released this razor today, Proctor & Gamble stock would drop like a stone.

Easily THE WORST razor ever made.

I started shaving when I was 16 -- in 1972 when I was a junior in high school. My dad offered me his single-edge blade razor, but I had already bought a Gillette Techmatic.

So, I did what I saw on TV for years: got hot towels to soften my face. Then I put on plenty of Barbasol shaving cream. Then came the Techmatic.

When I washed off the remaining shaving cream, I looked like I had been thrown -- repeatedly -- through a hedges worth of thorn-laden rose bushes.

"Here: use this styptic powder. It'll stop the bleeding." said my dad. It did stop the bleeding, but not the pain.

Like I said, THE worst razor ever made. If Gillette released this razor today, Proctor & Gamble stock would drop like a stone.

Yep, my memories exactly.

I ran across about a 12 of them last night on EBAY all under 20 bucks and many under 10.

Schick made a band razor, too, and I tried both of them back in the early 70s. If the 10 that you mention was cents instead of dollars, it would still be ten times more than they were worth.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Back in the 1960s, Gillette introduced what I believe was called the "TechMatic."

It was a "band razor" that used an extended strip of razor steel, rather than discreet blades. You "changed blades" by flipping a lever to advance the band from a small feed spool to a take-up spool.

The shaves were awful, I believe because it was impossible for the head assembly to hold the band perfectly flat. It bulged in spots, leading to scrapes and cuts (at least that was my experience as I can best recall).

One year, everybody in the fraternity house was using them. A year or two later they were all gone.

Has anyone else had experience with this Godawful thing?

Damn, I remember that thing! Don’t think I ever had one though. Stupid idea.

Top Bottom