What's new

Gillette Super Adjustable Black Short Handle vs Long Handle?

Read the first line.
It's the only way.

Now, something I take issue with (not you specifically, of course) is the common use of the abbreviation "RAD", where "D" stands for "Disorder".
Guitar people have got it right, with "GAS", or "Guitar Acquisition Syndrome".
"Disorder" makes it sound like a problem to be cured, but "syndrome" just describes a collection of ... behaviours. Yeah, that's it.

We should be calling it "RAS".

This is absolutely true. I am afflicted with both conditions.

I always wanted a long-handled Black Beauty. Then I got one. Biggest bust of all time. That extra length of handle just got in the way. I couldn't get a decent shave without a great deal of hassle. Gave it to my dad. He used it until the TTO mechanism gave out.

I always assumed that with having giant hands I would prefer longer handled razors but that theory has proven quite false over the years. I feel that the short handled BB was Gillette's last truly great razor.

These are still on my "Must have" list of vintage Gillettes. I want a long handle.

Same here. I have a slim, but I wish I would have waited a little longer for a super adjustable. My fiance's being weird about me buying razors(she doesn't want me "collecting them," which is fine, cuz I don't wanna collect them either, but there are a few more I'd like to try) lately.

This is just my personal experience.

Coming from decades of using long handled cart razors, I "thought" a long handled DE razor would be the ticket. In retrospect I discovered how wrong I was. What happened was that after a lengthy period of using everything including long handled Super Adjustables to very stubby handle Star SE razors, I found that a handle length of right at about 3" with a slight balance bias toward the razor head, is perfect for me.

Once the handle begins to exceed 3", and particularly if the balance begins to move toward the handle, it changes the entire way I have to grip it for work on the neck. With the 3" handle, there are places I can work on the neck by using index, middle finger and thumb just below the razor head and maintain complete control and accurate angle.

There are some SE razors that also have these postive characteristics I look for as well, including the Gem TTO SE razors.

King Gillette go it right, right from the get go.

I too thought I would really like a longer handle so I got the long handle "Black Beauty". It looks nice but I use my short handle Slim and SS the most. I'm tall but as mentioned the long handle doesn't do what you think it will. The handles of the short razors are short because that's the best balance for the weight of the head.

The short handles aren't short because some people have really tiny hands it turns out. :)

When you have the longer handle the pivot point changes and you have too much control of the head or rather a small movement moves the head too much. I can use it but I'd rather have a short handled Black Beauty.

I'm curious about two things:

1. Given that both the long handle and short handle Super Adjustables weigh the same 69 grams, the long version must be lighter somewhere. Where?

2. The Black Beauty dates from 1968. Did Gillette introduce both versions at the same time, or did one come before the other?

I too want one of these, preferably a long handle, but I'd take either one. I have a Slim, but I wish I'd held out for one of these instead. Then again, when I was looking, the Slim was in the best condition out of what I was finding in its price range.

I would never have considered that the long handle would be obtrusive. Hmm.

If I'm not mistaken the Super Adjustable debuted in 1969. 1968 was the last year for the Slim Adjustable.

1. Given that both the long handle and short handle Super Adjustables weigh the same 69 grams, the long version must be lighter somewhere. Where?

2. The Black Beauty dates from 1968. Did Gillette introduce both versions at the same time, or did one come before the other?

#2 is definitely a good question. Achim may know but I didn't see anything specific to that in the wiki. I have two of the "Super 84" (short handle) Super Adjustables and the last time I had the 84 out it was much more controllable for me than the longer handle variant.

I too prefer the short handle Black Super Adjustable...not a fan of long handles.

Longest I like are Schick Kronas...

I honestly don't see the long handle weighing 69 grams. Probably closer to 80. 69 sounds about right for the short handle.

From what I understand the short handle was introduced in late 68 and the long handle sometime in 69. So there was a time that the short handle was the only option, but not for very long.

I honestly don't see the long handle weighing 69 grams. Probably closer to 80. 69 sounds about right for the short handle.

From what I understand the short handle was introduced in late 68 and the long handle sometime in 69. So there was a time that the short handle was the only option, but not for very long.

Thanks for that info. I weighed by my long handle and short handle this morning. 69 grams each. Surprised me too.

Thanks for that info. I weighed by my long handle and short handle this morning. 69 grams each. Surprised me too.

Weird! Now I'm curious as to what makes up the difference on the short handle. Maybe the TTO mechanism at the bottom of the handle? Just thinking out loud as I don't have either of them nearby.

Just broke out a Super 84 and a Super 109 for a "heft comparison". There is a noticeable difference in the balance between these two. I know some here have weighed these (and your input is greatly appreciated) but the 84 "feels" heftier. No doubt due to the distribution of weight in the long handle version.

proxy.php

proxy.php

fast forward about 3 years ...

I got another Super Adjustable. It delivered today. I figgered it was just like the 109 that I already had. But the price was right, largely because it was really ugly with a coat of soap scum & crud, BUT no corrosion. After a lot of soaking & a little scrubbing, it cleaned up really nice, with 100% shiney nickel finish. I set it on the counter to air dry and at that point noticed it was an 84 - so now I have one of each. While the longer handles don't bother me, I do seem to be able to shave quicker & smoother with most shorter handles, such as on my Black Handle SS and also a Franken Old Style.

fast forward about 3 years ...

I got another Super Adjustable. It delivered today. I figgered it was just like the 109 that I already had. But the price was right, largely because it was really ugly with a coat of soap scum & crud, BUT no corrosion. After a lot of soaking & a little scrubbing, it cleaned up really nice, with 100% shiney nickel finish. I set it on the counter to air dry and at that point noticed it was an 84 - so now I have one of each. While the longer handles don't bother me, I do seem to be able to shave quicker & smoother with most shorter handles, such as on my Black Handle SS and also a Franken Old Style.
Congratulations on having both
What I really want to know if they shave the same on the same setting and the same blade?

I have the long handle and don't find it too bad to use.
I quite like it, but after waving the Timeless OC around the wee Gillette seems like a toy.
Mine is a rarity...a Q1. It sat unused for about 20 years before being gifted to me by an old friend.
Still works and looks like new.
They are an under rated razor alright.
Very nice shave with no effort.
They are still cheap to buy, so best stock up now!
I wouldn't mind getting the Gold and Black version one day too. They look quite stunning.

Top Bottom