What's new

Gillette Slim Disassembly/Reassembly w/ before and after photos

Ha, that looks amazing. Quite the difference between the before and after. I like the color scheme that you chose for it. Now I really wish it would get to me faster. :thumbup:

Thanks again Cap.
You are welcome, Sir. I am glad you liked the paint scheme. Black barely shows up against the black RH so I though some variety would be nice.

That is one slick looking razor, indeed! Excellent job by everyone!
Thanks TL!

Black rhodium?
Aye Sir.

Here are some slims I have recently finished for Canuckle!

Before of the H2:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422738962.882498.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422738979.556438.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422738997.051373.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422739010.087891.jpg
Disassembly:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422739037.201873.jpg

And this is why we are grateful for the Good Captain, that was way grungier on the inside than I thought. Amazing as usual Sir!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
And this is why we are grateful for the Good Captain, that was way grungier on the inside than I thought. Amazing as usual Sir!

True dat. I would not have expected it to look so grungy on the inside. The outside didn't look so bad, really. I look forward to seeing the "after" photos.

Nice work on the K1, Cap!

Cap, here are the photos of the Slim that you helped me out with. This is one of two Slims that I purchased knowing that there was a problem with each. I felt that I would be able to fix them. They both had "dropped" TTO knobs, a simple fix. A couple of before photos:

$P1300163_0828.jpg

$P1300168_0865.jpg

What I did not realize until after I had re-assembled one, was that the threaded TTO slider which resides inside the TTO knob had several stripped threads. I saw this when I had dis-assembled it, but thought that there were enough intact threads that it would work OK. Wrong. Here is a picture of the slider up close:

$Slider.jpg

The doors would operate normally until they began to tighten, and that was it. The TTO knob just kept turning, with no tightening of the doors. After mulling over the possibility of repairing the slider, I simply did not feel that was feasible, and turned to you for advice. So, here are some photos following my receipt of the slider that you sent as a replacement. Note that your slider does not have any shiny brass showing, indicating to me that there is minimal wear.

$Slim 108 After 2.jpg

Finally, here is the assembled Slim, after cleaning, re-painting of the numbers and spring (I prefer red to black), repair of the dropped TTO knob, and polishing. It operates as it should, especially the nicely tightening doors.

$Slim 108 After 3.jpg

Many thanks for unselfishly sharing your expertise, and also for your generosity. You have added to the knowledge base of Gillettes in a very substantive way with all of your tutorials, allowing many forgotten razors to be returned to a useful life.

Cheers,

Matt

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
How can I get a February 1960 fatboy razor....Frank.My birth year...Thank you!
You are looking for a Fatboy with a date code of F-1. Check with the Gentlemanly Deals forum on here our on the bay. If I had one, I'd be happy to get it to you, but I don't think I do.

Be patient, be diligent, and you will get what you're looking for at a good price.

True dat. I would not have expected it to look so grungy on the inside. The outside didn't look so bad, really. I look forward to seeing the "after" photos.

Nice work on the K1, Cap!
Thank you, TL!

Cap, here are the photos of the Slim that you helped me out with. This is one of two Slims that I purchased knowing that there was a problem with each. I felt that I would be able to fix them. They both had "dropped" TTO knobs, a simple fix. A couple of before photos:

View attachment 546608

View attachment 546609

What I did not realize until after I had re-assembled one, was that the threaded TTO slider which resides inside the TTO knob had several stripped threads. I saw this when I had dis-assembled it, but thought that there were enough intact threads that it would work OK. Wrong. Here is a picture of the slider up close:

View attachment 546611

The doors would operate normally until they began to tighten, and that was it. The TTO knob just kept turning, with no tightening of the doors. After mulling over the possibility of repairing the slider, I simply did not feel that was feasible, and turned to you for advice. So, here are some photos following my receipt of the slider that you sent as a replacement. Note that your slider does not have any shiny brass showing, indicating to me that there is minimal wear.

View attachment 546613

Finally, here is the assembled Slim, after cleaning, re-painting of the numbers and spring (I prefer red to black), repair of the dropped TTO knob, and polishing. It operates as it should, especially the nicely tightening doors.

View attachment 546614

Many thanks for unselfishly sharing your expertise, and also for your generosity. You have added to the knowledge base of Gillettes in a very substantive way with all of your tutorials, allowing many forgotten razors to be returned to a useful life.

Cheers,

Matt
Matt, outstanding work on the slim transformation! She cleaned up nicely and I am pleased to hear that the part worked out:thumbup: I feel bad about what happened to the first slider I attempted to send you:sad: FYI gents: it is not advisable to send Gillette Slim parts in paper envelopes....mail sorting monsters gobble them up:facep: That was MY bad, Matt. Eh, you're up and running now and like I said, it looks great! Congrats Sir!

Thank you, TL!

Matt, outstanding work on the slim transformation! She cleaned up nicely and I am pleased to hear that the part worked out:thumbup: I feel bad about what happened to the first slider I attempted to send you:sad: FYI gents: it is not advisable to send Gillette Slim parts in paper envelopes....mail sorting monsters gobble them up:facep: That was MY bad, Matt. Eh, you're up and running now and like I said, it looks great! Congrats Sir!

It is indeed an honor to receive accolades from the master. Thanks, Cap.

Matt

Cap, I didn't want you to get bored, so I'm going to send you my '65 Slim. I think it's in great shape, but to my untrained eye it looks like the gap on one side is ever-so-slightly different than the other. Shaves fine but I can feel the difference on my face at a high setting (I usually start WTG on 9). I'm using it right now to test blades (all with the same setup) so when I'm done hacking myself up...

Top Bottom