What's new

Gillette razor sampler

I didn't know that razor with the blue handle was for ladies....all this time I been shaving with it.. I'm starting to question my masculinity :blink: !

Really Jerry, Awesome Post!

I didn't know that razor with the blue handle was for ladies....all this time I been shaving with it.. I'm starting to question my masculinity :blink: !

Really Jerry, Awesome Post!

Yea, and you're starting to like those rose and violet shaving creams too aren't you Matt..........:wink:

my first razor at 15 was a Gillete slim adjustable 1968 model that my father gave me, then I commited the crime of moving onto cartridge razors after a couple of months. Oh how I wish I'd kept my Gillete! now 28 years on I use a straight razor ! :biggrin:

Is there a recommended text/catalog with pictures of various generations of razors for collectors? Not so interested in prices just in help in identifying age and style of old razor

All I can say is WOW. I'm just starting to build a collection. I'll be sure to bookmark this thread and use frequently.

Might be a good idea to consolidate the information in this thread into a wiki article.

I have a quick question that I don't think really deserves its own thread. I was checking out the local antique stores and I found a Gillette with case for sale. It is the exact same as the one found in this ebay auction.

The antique store has it priced at $30 which I think is ridiculous. Not only is it missing some plating, but the razor had a blade left in it and is pretty dirty. Not a collectors item by far.

I really like the case(especially the place to store a pack of blades!) but I can't figure out what type of razor it is. I've tried looking on several websites, but the razor in the store had an illegible serial number, and the ebay razors serial isn't photographed very well, so I am at a loss.

Finally, I mentioned they were selling it for $30, but I think it is only worth around $10. What does everyone else think it's worth? I might go and try and haggle for it! :biggrin:

edit: It is not TTO, instead, when you twist the bottom, it unscrews the top of the razor, which looks like the top of your standard tech, but with a long shaft with the threading at the end. It is a 3 piece razor.

I Just Finished My First Shave With Newly Aquired Gillette Slim Adjustable... Level 3 On The Dial... Very Nice Shave... And I Mean Very Nice Shave !!!!!

I thought this may come in handy.

Super Speed vs. Rocket

40's style SS, 40's style Rocket; Flare Tip SS, Flare Tip Rocket; TV Special, TV Rocket; Red Tip SS, Red Tip Rocket
proxy.php

Bottom row: Aristocrat Jr., HD DR 500, German Parat
proxy.php

And what are the main differences between the Super Speed v. the Rocket?

Al

Besides the obvious, Super Speeds were made in the USA and Rockets are of English origin, the Rockets tend to be of a higher build quality. Rockets also have a diminishing handle length as the TTO doors are opened whereas the SS's stay the same length. The notched post in all British razors I've seen is smaller than a US notched razor. The end caps (actually there are no end caps on Rockets, it is all one piece) are pointy where SS's are blunt. The 40's style Rockets, Aristocrat Jr.s and the HD dr have a solid TTO knob. They have a cooler name as well. :biggrin:

Nice collection! WIth so many gillettes, I hope that you'll be able to help me. I believe I have a flare tip rocket because of the handle and knob are identical to yours. Only problem is that mine has no markings other than the gillette diamond and the center post on top is sandwiched like a super speed, rather than thicker post like I've seen on all the other rockets.
What do you think?

Top Bottom