What's new

Gillette Fatboy Cleanup|Before and after w/commentary

+1 I didn't notice that!!!
Makes it look more.... utilitarian?? More like a tool for use than a display piece... if that makes sense.

Rust Boy will indeed be used and not displayed. And the more I see him without the end caps, the better I like it.

Actually, The lack of endcaps is the only way I could identify Rust Boy when Cap and Chris sent me in-progress photos.

Hi everyone, first of all a big THANKS to Captain Murphy for this thread and all of his great work and tips. I have a question; I took out the end cap of my E4 and when I tried to pull out the "center rod" it didn't come apart easily like in the vidoes. It seemed a bit hard, and I was too nervous to try and 'pop' it out so I just left it alone.

I wanted to separate it to further my cleaning, and noticed that it looked pretty clean at the 'T'. So I just put it back together, but now reading some of this thread (have only gotten to like page 25 so far) I wanted to ask for advice.

Is there a certain way to pull it out? Here are some pics:

$IMG_0720.jpg$IMG_0722.jpg

I had sent Captain Murphy a few Gem SE razors a 8-9 months ago and he magically with artisan mind and hands made them as new. I recently sent the Captain a British Aristocrat 16 which had problems opening and closing along with a 1920's Aristocrat with a loose neck and crack at the top of the handle.

With his wonderful knowledge and skill's he found the problem, the razor's re-plating was to thick he corrected the problem and now it works like new. As with the Aristocrat the neck is solidly in place with no movement and the crack is not noticeable.

Captain Murphy you truly are a wonder.
Thank you,
Steven

This is an amazing thread! Its helped me a lot getting to know the fatboy.I don't have the tools to take apart or reassemble my razor, so I've cleaned the hell out of it (scrubbing bubbles, hot water soaks, and mineral oil) and it looks almost new. Even found some time to repaint the numbers. My problem is that between 1 and 4 the razor does not have the quarter turn, but 5 to 9 it does. Is this normal?

Appreciate any help in advance.

This is an amazing thread! Its helped me a lot getting to know the fatboy.I don't have the tools to take apart or reassemble my razor, so I've cleaned the hell out of it (scrubbing bubbles, hot water soaks, and mineral oil) and it looks almost new. Even found some time to repaint the numbers. My problem is that between 1 and 4 the razor does not have the quarter turn, but 5 to 9 it does. Is this normal?

Appreciate any help in advance.

Usually in the lower numbers it's more like a quarter tun but by the time you get to 9 it's like 1/8 turn.
Sorry can't help on why it's not on lower numbers.

So Once Again the Master Fatboy Jedi Captain Murphy has worked his magic on yet another injured Fatboy and brought it back to full functionality once more:

My Fatboy Before with the Crooked Bars causing uneven blade alignment:

$20151024_105203-1.jpg

$20151024_105211-1.jpg

And after the Awesome Work of Captain Murphy everything is once more straight and perfectly aligned:
$20151106_123301-1.jpg

$20151106_123318-1.jpg

And since I git the full service package it was also completely taken down, cleaned and polished up good as new as well so it truly looks amazing now all repainted and beautified:thumbup:

$20151106_122627-1.jpg

$20151106_122656-1.jpg

$20151106_122822-1.jpg

$20151106_122910-1.jpg

$20151106_122929-1.jpg

Captain You Are a Gentleman and a Genius when it comes to restoring these amazing razors my Friend and I cannot thank you enough for bringing mine back to life once more:w00t:.

Top Bottom