What's new

Gillette Double Ring goes for $770 on eBay

I know I am just fantasizing now, but I believe they also offered a sterling silver model for $10 at the time. It would be surreal if this is one of those. Fat chance! Then it would be worth $270.28 in today's dollars.
But if it was, you'd have had to pay $1,540 to win the auction, so you are way ahead.

It doesn't look like Sterling from the pictures. I've got an English Single Ring from around 1915 that is Sterling, and it has a noticeable patina. Then again, maybe the seller got it all shined up and removed all traces of tarnish so it would look pretty. I hope not, though ... I'm in that group that believes vintage patinas should be preserved.

Then again, maybe the seller got it all shined up and removed all traces of tarnish so it would look pretty. I hope not, though ... I'm in that group that believes vintage patinas should be preserved.

Ah, you like them ugly.

I just got a Canadian 1932 Tech, and I'm pretty sure it's silver. The head is showing very mild brown/gold tarnish after soaking for a few hours in dawn/water solution. I'm _going_ to polish it lightly so that the spots don't get worse.

I certainly wasn't expecting a Canadian tech at all, let alone a silver one, for the price I paid. I just wanted that and what I thought was an Old Type - but now I can't figure out what it is. It doesn't match up with anything in Achim's database, or razorarchive. I'll have to upload a picture and see if someone can figure it out.

I realize that that's the patent year - I did research that. I'm going by the appearance of the spots that formed while bathing it. I haven't put any extra time into polishing/cleaning to say for certain - so, that's why the 'pretty sure'.

Thanks for the extra information, however. That means I don't have to worry about it being chrome.

R

romsitsa

Nice set, I also think the metal plate is a shim. Extrem lucky that the original owner was too lazy to ship back the used blade so the envelop survived.

Adam

Wow, that is amazing condition! I hope to have a beat up user someday myself. I'm glad there are guys like you out there collecting and preserving the extremely rare survivors like this though. :thumbup1:

Congratulations! As the under bidder I wish you the best with your new razor. It's a beauty.
Thank you sir. Very gracious of you. I wish you the best of luck in your hunt to secure and preserve these treasures. I think of myself as more of a caretaker for these razor sets. If I do it well, I will have and enjoy them for a while (ha - hopefully a long while!). But the important thing is to pass them on to the next owner in just as good of condition as I found them. Thanks for wishing me luck.

Last edited:
Gorgeous razor, Glenn. Nice score.

On the tangential note, I had a Tradere SB. I sold it about 18 months ago for $410 or so. I really liked it but it didn't come up into my rotation very often so I couldn't pass up the sale (I didn't put it up for sale; people back-channel contacted me when they knew I had one).

Are you looking to adopt a son? I'm available and you don't have to worry about teenage rebellion or diapers!
I have considered donating my razors to a non-profit that would or could preserve them. But, the only way I would do it is with an out sized tax break. I still have work on myself to do! I am a work in progress. :a4:

Hi,

Hey, Glenn, you gonna flip it for $7,700? ;)

Stan
Sure, I guess if I could. Is that an offer Stan? No really, for the most part I'm a buy and hold kind of guy. Only times I sell is when I find a better one come down the pike, buy it and then sell the duplicate one. A better one of this Double Ring is not likely to come down the pike any time soon though.

Top Bottom