What's new

Gillette Double Ring goes for $770 on eBay

I pretty much see everything on eBay.
Or so I think. :001_rolle

But I hardly bid, I am more of a watcher guy.
I always wanted a Tradere, but not for that money. To each his own. I'm glad I got my Wolfman straight from the man for about $200 I believe.

That razor looks amazing. Can someone tell me why these are so valuable. Is it because they are rare?
I did over pay a bit but it was an auction so I guess it is market value. To me it was worth it because:
1) One in this nice a condition comes along very rarely.
2) It is kind of rare from about 1904 with no serial number. Most of these had serial numbers.
3) It has a lot of piece parts - documentation and such. To me the more the complete the set, the more valuable it is.

Well after seeing a bottom dial Fatboy fetch over $2000 at auction I'd say that price is more than fair, considering it is an iconic grail razor, complete with all accouterments and the "first" of the first. Once again, congrats!

The metal thing is a shim. I won a single ring on e-bay a few months ago. I paid as much in shipping as I did for the razor since it came from France. The razor came with a shim very very similar to the one pictured in the original picture here. Mine had very slight engraving on it. I was able to look it up and found a site that mentioned the shims. I will try and look it up again when I get home after work and I can look at the words engraved on mine. I love my thin cap ball end old type as well as my single ring and the shaves they help produce. I use the shim about 1/5 of the time. It makes the blade gap a little bit bigger leading to a bit more of an aggressive shave. It doesn't get the Old Type as far as an R41, but it does get it closer. Everything else being equal, I will prefer my R41 over my Old Type when I have three days of growth, but I can shave with my Old Type two days in a row which is not something I like doing with my R41.

I pretty much see everything on eBay.

We should change your name to Wade..
proxy.php

I dropped out of the bidding when it hit $550. My congratulations,
you now own not just a magnificent razor, but a fabulous piece of
Gillette history. This is undoubtedly one of the finest and most
complete Double Ring sets in existence.

Kevin

Thanks so much guys. I sincerely appreciate the feedback. On another note, if anyone wants to know? No, I'm not going to shave with it!! :a9:

Hi,

Glenn, you have it slightly wrong there....you paid $70 for the razor kit, and $700 for the 'metal protector' (vs the cardboard one). ;)

Very Nice Score!

Stan

Just for the sake of reference ... the $5 it originally cost in 1904 would be worth $135.14 in 2015.
Inflation Calculator

Its a magnificent piece ... and the case, accessories and paperwork make it even more valuable.

Nice score!
I know I am just fantasizing now, but I believe they also offered a sterling silver model for $10 at the time. It would be surreal if this is one of those. Fat chance! Then it would be worth $270.28 in today's dollars.

Hi,

Glenn, you have it slightly wrong there....you paid $70 for the razor kit, and $700 for the 'metal protector' (vs the cardboard one). ;)

Very Nice Score!

Stan
Hey Stan. Hope you are well! Thanks. Those "metal protectors" don't come cheap.

Ha ha! He just got back to me. He believes it was similar to the cardboard protectors used later on. It was meant to hold the place of a razor blade when the razor was initially shipped. I'm thinking to keep from over tightening the lock mechanism when no blade was present?? He has not seen them on other double rings so it is probably rare for them to have survived.
That sounds logical. In one of the Facebook groups, I saw a Russian razor with an asymmetrical head that had a similar ribbed piece on it, and nobody could figure out what that was for.

Top Bottom