What's new

Gillette cartridge razors under assult by vintage DE razors

If Gillette or Schick sold something like the Wilkinson Sword Classic in America that might be a good start.

I have to disagree, a DE for me is much faster than a cart and not much harder to use in terms of technique. DE's dont clog, and theres 2 sides! I have a problem with the stigma around DE's being difficult to use. Have you tried a Tech?

Amen to that!...I started down this DE road in 2006 and tried a bunch of different razors and never found my groove until I was given a $10 Tech for Christmas as a gag...That thing is off the charts smooth/easy to use/forgiving. It gives me a shave that I would only read about guys getting on forums. I can do 2 passes in 10 mins with ease an not have a nick cut or weeper.

If you are starting out or having troubles...give a Tech a try!!!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've got to where I don't even read these articles anymore. I think its all a conspiracy. they are slowly writing more and more about how "wet shaving" is a great alternative to cartridges.

For all we know P&G and Schick and all the rest are behind it all and want folks to make the switch so when they release their "classic" line of shaving products millions and millions of people will already be using DE's and more than willing to buy Gillette shave soaps and AS and shave creams and dopp kits and ect..ect..ect..

no market loss and no money loss from people switching from cartridges.

There is a reason Gillette stopped making DE razors. They knew with proper advertising they could convince general public that their disposables were superior and therefore get them to switch. I remember the old 'Gotcha' slogan commercials as a kid. It worked. People abandoned the DE for the disposable and Gillette made billions. They continue to trick the public with newer multi blade cartridges that require special handles and cost a fortune. All are inferior to DE shaving, when done properly.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I think its pretty funny how they reported a drop in sales last quarter (or one of those quarters) and now they are advertising how long their cartridges last.

Buy our razors, they last 5 weeks!!!

I don't know if you gents have thought of this but if you use a brush & cream or soap to shave with, it takes the same amount of time using a cart or a DE. I am an older guy & have always used a brush & cream. The only cart I have ever used to any extent was the sensor which I still think is a fine razor. If I had the time in the morning I would use nothing but a straight.I never liked the price of the carts because I always felt I was being ripped off. The generation of shavers after the 70s didn't know any better. My grandfather gave me a brush, straight, DE when I started shaving in the 60s & taught me how to use them. This does not happen anymore. Regards. Grayson

@Grayson I could not agree amore. I am a younger guy with a teenager and an even younger boy, it is my hope to teach them the art of DE shaving. Of course I am still in the learning process myself as I am of the generation that began shaving when the DE was a relic of the past. We were all fooled by gillette and schick that the new up and coming throw away razor was better than anything ever produced, to get a better shave you need to upgrade... It's all BS. I am so happy I decided to switch to DE wet shaving. I get better shaves and don't feel like I am being fooled by the modern marketing campaigns.

Yesterday I had a single pass shave with a Wilkinson Atra cartridge.
Today I had a two pass shave with a Mühle R89 and a Personna Red blade.

To be fair, the end result is about the same, so the cartridge accomplishes in a single pass what the DE does in two passes. And we're talking about "old fashioned" cartridges here; the modern multi blades may be much more efficient (I never tried them).

However, the DE shave was much more pleasurable. Yes, it takes a bit more time, but the gentle cutting of the DE blade is much more comfortable than the rough cutting of the Atra cartridge.

well I can not remember a cartridge lasting more than three shaves, after that it was all tugging and pulling
One of the reasons I got away from them as fast as I could.
I have spoken to Gillette a couple of times and we DE shavers are not even on there radar screen, or more like a vary small blip.

My DE shave does take about 10 min longer than my cart shave (I do both face and scalp) however my skin feels much better after the DE shave relative to the cart shave. You could probably shave faster with a blowtorch than a cart if speed is your game, but the comfort level would be slightly lower :lol:

The cost for my DE shave supplies is far less than for my cart shave supplies which as a working class joe really helps!

My only set back is that when I travel now I have to check my bag if I want to travel with my DE blades. They're not easy to find in most places that I could just stroll into a corner store and pay a few bux for a five pack and just mail the unused blades back home.

Maybe we need to create a world map showing local shops where you could purchase blades for the B&B frequent flyers!

Reliable market share numbers don't exist for retro shavers,but not only have GQ, Esquire, and Details featured the products, more than 45,000 members of the online forum Badger & Blade post daily about shaving with century-old razors.

proxy.php

I believe P&G's purchase of TAOS is their attempt of grabbing a piece of the DE shaving market and they've already scaled up tht operation quite a bit. New store popping up all over the place and they're carrying Gillete Platinum blades in there now...not to mention they didn't abandon the cartridges by any means either! Seriously expensive Mach 3s and Fusions can be purchased while they do push the wet-shaving process. It's a hybrid...perhaps the DE or SE side of it is considered a loss leader at the moment but they can easily jump at any opportunity to capitalize on an industry trend in a moments notice. I don't see their competitors doing the same...

Top Bottom