What's new

Gillette Brush Plus Shaving System. Kind of fun to use.

I just picked up a Gillette Brush Plus Shaving system set and tried it for the first time to day. The set looks to be from about 1984. I did not use the Atra razor, instead I used a Fatboy. The brush is definitely not like my Merkur badger hair brush, but it worked fine. The instructions have you wet the brush and when I did I must have kept to much water in the brush because the lather was very runny at first. After I got rid of the extra water it worked much better. I will use it again Sunday morning and see how it goes.
Any one else use one of these lately or in the past?

Attachments

• $KGrHqIOKpcE5k7N7jBDBOg8Pv4dw_3.JPG
    $KGrHqIOKpcE5k7N7jBDBOg8Pv4dw_3.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 395
I had one back in the 80's. I really liked it. And of course they stopped making them. Not a big seller I guess. The shaving cream is canned goo of course, and there was a little plastic tube in the center of the brush for the lather but it worked rather well I thought. And using the brush did improve my shave by prepping my beard. It was fun.

Used it for the second day. To load the brush with shaving cream you just twist the bottom dial a little and it come out in to the bristles. I used to much water again maybe the third time will be the charm. the one thing nice about it if you do not have enough lather just twist the dial and you have more.

Here is photo of the brush in use. The hardest part of using it is to not get to much water in the brush.

I was wondering the same thing. Would be kind of neat unless it used some type of proprietary refill.
Yes, refillable and it was proprietary. Had one and the brush was shot after using two additional refills. It was a nice novelty back then.

Back in the day I used them and liked them a lot. I was not happy when I could not find the shave cream refill anymore. I don't know how it would compare to the products available from our vendors today. If I remember correctly you wet the brush, shook it out a bit, advanced the inner refill a turn, then created a face lather. I'm guessing the brush was a synthetic bristle similar to that of a paint brush.

Back in the day I used them and liked them a lot. I was not happy when I could not find the shave cream refill anymore. I don't know how it would compare to the products available from our vendors today. If I remember correctly you wet the brush, shook it out a bit, advanced the inner refill a turn, then created a face lather. I'm guessing the brush was a synthetic bristle similar to that of a paint brush.

Yep, that matches my memories. I had one as well and liked it for a short while. I bought another off the bay years ago just for the memories and the scent. I've never actually used this second one. It just sits and collects dust now.

When I got mine in the 80's it was definitely a lathering product. I abandoned it for my Conk shaving brush and Noxzema skin cream (painted on with the Conk). I thought they worked better with a straight razor than the Brush Plus.

Thanks for posting, definitely a trip down memory lane.

Chris

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I also had one of these back in the 80's and it was pretty clever. The cream was not canned goo, but fairly decent lathering shave cream as I remember it. I was also disappointed when I could not get the refills. I believe the bristles were synthetic.

It was a nice concept, too bad it never took off.

Top Bottom