What's new

Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black) VS Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge (Yellow)

Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black) VS Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge (Yellow)

• Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black)

• Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge (Yellow)

Results are only viewable after voting.
who is more sharper between the two ?
who is more smoother between the two ?
who is more longevity between the two ?
what's your choice?

Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black)
proxy.php

Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge (Yellow)
proxy.php

Thank you very much :)

Last edited:
I have tried three of the "coloured" Gillette 7-O'clock blades; black, yellow, and green.

For me the 7-O'clock Black blades are smoother, sharper, and last longer than the other two types.

I've tried 3 different types of Gillette 7 O'Clock blades.....

I like, and regularly use the Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless (Green) from India -
IMHO a good all round blade, very smooth and comfortable and although not as sharp as some, they're still sharp enough to be perfectly fit for purpose - 4 very comfortable and enjoyable shaves per blade

I prefer, and regularly use the Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (Yellow) from Russia-
IMHO one of my favourites, very similar to the 7 O'Clock Green from India, but just that little bit sharper, and they shave just that little bit closer, and although not quite as smooth, they are still perfectly comfortable to use for 4 good, close shaves per blade

I tried to use some Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black) from India-
Why they always seem to be priced higher on eBay than the Green blades from India or the Yellow blades from Russia is beyond my comprehension........
I had my eye on the 7 O'Clock Black for quite some time, and eventually bought a Gillette 7 O'Clock Sterling razor just to try out the couple of tucks of 7 O'Clock Black that were included in the price.
I wanted to like the blades, but found them to be an anticlimax.
Although I got 4 very close, smooth shaves per blade without any nicks, weepers or irritation, I hated every stroke - they felt so rough that it was like being licked by a cat.
They reminded me a lot of the Gillette Rubie Platinum from Russia that I tried - possibly the same blades repackaged?
I got through 3 out of 7 blades in a tuck, and gave the other 4 away as free gifts to buyers on eBay -
I sold the other unopened tuck with a tuck of 10 Indian 7 O'Clock Green and the unopened Sterling razor and got my money back + a small profit -
I tried the blades AND made a profit into the bargain - asset stripping at it's best!!

IMHO - I'd always buy the 7 O'Clock Green or Yellow with confidence if the price was favourable
BUT
I wouldn't use the 7 O'Clock Black again even if they were free

Hmm, I need to try the blacks then, since I quite like Rubie's. Will eventually try all of them, but it's going to take a while at a month a blade.

Peter

I prefer the Blacks to the SharpEdge. Smoother, better longevity and seems plenty sharp.
Did not care for the SharpEdge much after a few shaves.

Yellow for me. Haven't been able to try the black yet, we just don't get them here.

I've had 20 great shaves off one Yellow blade and my current one is on 16 shaves and still delivering DFS with ease.

I was in a shop selling the Blacks and found one tuck in all of them that was actually the Gillette Blue Super Platinum, made in St Petersburg. I had read that they were no longer being made so I picked them up. Package smells a bit strange and the glue spots seem to be almost on the blades edge. I'll soak them in alcohol and try them out, then report back.

I was in a shop selling the Blacks and found one tuck in all of them that was actually the Gillette Blue Super Platinum, made in St Petersburg. I had read that they were no longer being made so I picked them up. Package smells a bit strange and the glue spots seem to be almost on the blades edge. I'll soak them in alcohol and try them out, then report back.

One of the problems I had with Gillette Silver Blue blades was that the glue spots were on the edge. I also didn't think they were as sharp or smooth as the 7 O'clock Green.

Well, the blades (super platinum, blue pack, made in russia) smelled really musty even though sealed. I soaked one in alcohol overnight. Next morning the glue was still there, ran them under hot water and my fingers on the flat of the blade….no go….the spots just wouldn't rub off…..but the printing ink on the blade did run. Didnt want to risk it so tossed it. Had a great shave with a Polsilver Super Iridium instead.

So far I have only tried the Silver Blue and the 7 O'Clock Yellow and it was a night and day experience. The GSB tore my face up in 3 straight shaves which was odd as shave #2 and so forth are normally better shaves than the first. I switched to the Yellows and 3 shaves in my face had healed and the shaves were my usual DFS quality... I am still in the testing phase and still have Platinums and Blacks to get through before I make my mind up about Gillette blades in general....

I have tried the Russian Yellow, Green, Black, Nacet, Polsilver, GSB, and Sputnik from St Pete's.
Top for me, I am pretty sure, is GSB, followed closely by Green and Polsilver. The Yellow is close. They are all good, except the Black, which I do not like, although I did get a decent shave with it.
No nicks with any.

I have a heavy beard that grows quickly. I almost always bin a blade after three shaves.

Wouldn't it be funny if Gillette packaged the blades randomly? Some Green, some Black, some Yellow? Are we sure they aren't doing that?

Wouldn't it be funny if Gillette packaged the blades randomly? Some Green, some Black, some Yellow? Are we sure they aren't doing that?
Yea , I say that because when you shave
With a 7o'clock black you know right away
Its a completely different blade and that's
Wether you like it or hate it, there's no denying it's unique blade feel and it's Wickedly Sharp too boot..

I have tried the Russian Yellow, Green, Black, Nacet, Polsilver, GSB, and Sputnik from St Pete's.
Top for me, I am pretty sure, is GSB, followed closely by Green and Polsilver. The Yellow is close. They are all good, except the Black, which I do not like, although I did get a decent shave with it.
The Blacks are not from Russia but from India!

Top Bottom