What's new

Gillette 430,030 find

Hello,

Stumbled across this Gillette 430,030 today in a flea market and bought it for a staggering £1.50 but can't seem to find much information on it or how old it is - not sure if it's in its original case too but the razor seems in good condition and opens and closes smoothly - the case is a bit worn inside but has no identifying labels and there are some used (and I think some un-used) Gillette blue blades in the case.

I'm pretty new to DE shaving and have been using an Edwin Jagger De89bl for the last six months and loving every shave with it too. I'd like to use this Gillette and wondering how best to clean it and keen to see how it compares to the Edwin Jagger.

$Gillette430030.jpg

Any information greatly appreciated.

Thanks

That is a late 1940's to early 1950's Gillette British Aristocrat No. 16. My favorite shaver. Congratulations. You should be in prison for the price that you paid. :laugh:

Ben

People have different ways of cleaning them up.
I clean mine with a soak in some dish soap and water for a while. Then run a toothbrush over it. Then rinse it with water, and hit it with scrubby bubbles and let that soak in that for a while. Then again with the toothbrush getting all the nasty stuff off. Rinse with water and dip in alcohol and set to dry. Then the silver ones get polished with never-dull or some metal polish I have on hand.

Hello,

Stumbled across this Gillette 430,030 today in a flea market and bought it for a staggering £1.50 but can't seem to find much information on it or how old it is - not sure if it's in its original case too but the razor seems in good condition and opens and closes smoothly - the case is a bit worn inside but has no identifying labels and there are some used (and I think some un-used) Gillette blue blades in the case.

I'm pretty new to DE shaving and have been using an Edwin Jagger De89bl for the last six months and loving every shave with it too. I'd like to use this Gillette and wondering how best to clean it and keen to see how it compares to the Edwin Jagger.

View attachment 389477

Any information greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Welcome to B&B. The Razor goes by the name of British Aristocrat #16.
proxy.php
attachment.php

The number you gave 430,030 was a patent number assigned to the razor.

$ab2.jpg$ab1.jpg

Wonderful find! I havnt found anything at a market yet so congrats on that find. And really cheap too :drool:

Wow - Thanks everyone for your help and information. Looks like I bagged myself a nice razor - can't wait to use it.

Will clean it up and try to get some better photos. By the way, the case lining is a very dulled blue colour - shame it doesn't have its label but I'm not complaining :)

That is an astonishingly good find! I'm in UK too and am always in charity shops, flea markets etc.
My best bargain so far is a 13/16 Ern Ator from an antiques shop for £4.00, but your £1.59 Aristorat must be the bargain of the century!
Whatever you do, don't mess with it, just enjoy it :thumbup:
Oh...and Number Six, who is Number One?
Be seeing you...

Top Bottom