What's new

Generally speaking, where do you stand with slant head razors

Generally speaking, where do you stand with slant head razors

• Total voters
You might find this interesting. Look at the Photo's by Nemo and others, and pay attention to Cal's comment and small photo. I'm thoroughly convinced the skew is proper, as that is how slants load naturally. Given that you may want to revisit the slant. I do like them but still prefer my Fatip OC's. Slant razor blade exposure

Yes I remember that thread, it sparked a little debate when I asked if the blade should be skewed. I used the razor whether the blade was skewed or not, and really didn't get a shave that seemed better or more efficient than my EJ (or Slim for that matter), but it may make a difference to someone with a very coarse or wiry beard.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Yes I remember that thread, it sparked a little debate when I asked if the blade should be skewed. I used the razor whether the blade was skewed or not, and really didn't get a shave that seemed better or more efficient than my EJ (or Slim for that matter), but it may make a difference to someone with a very coarse or wiry beard.

Maybe, I have old man wiry hair. I'm ambivalent about slants myself. I find my 37c more efficient than my 34c. I find my Fatip CC Gentile an all around more efficient razor and superior. My Fatip OC's blows the 37c out of the water, and my Muhle r41 of course the most efficient razor I own. My Phoenix Bakelite OC Slant ranks with the Fatip OC's, but I'm not fond of how light it is. It does have a cool factor for me being based on the Fasan.

I feel like the blade in all of my slants looks slightly twisted. I'm going to stick with twisted when describing them.

I'm not convinced the guillotine effect explains a slants effectiveness in and of itself. If that were the case then I should be able to load a Derby in my Slim, perform a Gillette Slide, and get a smooth shave with no chatter. Yet that does not happen. If I load a Derby in say my ATT S1, I get a good shave with no chatter. The twisting of the blade must have some effect in addition to the angled shave.

The blade in some slants are torqued and not just bent. In my Fine Superlite the blade is very much torqued. Like snowman said, I think this may be the key point on why it is so smooth.
I know I have always hated Merkur blades because they always tugged like a well used blade. But when I put a Merkur blade in my Merkur 37c, it was as smooth as silk. They do make a difference. Yeah I can get just as close with other razors but the slants are the king of smooth.

They're okay, just too aggressive for me to use everyday.
Even for slants the aggressiveness is all about blade gap, blade exposure and angle. The often recommended Merkur 37C and its clones is a bit on the aggressive side in my opinion.

There are super mild ones. For example iKon ShaveCraft X3 is so mild that you really need to concentrate on keeping the angle or it will not shave at all. Of all the razors I have I feel least the blade with this one.

Even for slants the aggressiveness is all about blade gap, blade exposure and angle.

With every razor aggressiveness is about blade exposure. The gap does not make it more aggressive it just gives you more angles to choose from.
You are missing the point. What makes the slant razor so special is the torque in the blade. This thread is about slant razors not aggressiveness.

Top Bottom