What's new

G'day from Melbourne, Australia

G'day everybody,

My name is Mark and I'm from Melbourne, Australia. Today I received the first of a few straight razors I bought and I'm very excited to get started shaving this way. Must say that I do already have respect for everyone shaving this way as this 'device' could just as well be used as a lethal weapon!
Before I started buying I did a lot of reading about it and have also spoken to a mate who has been shaving this way for the past 2 years.
As I have a thing for most things vintage the first razor I ended up buying was a Joseph Rodgers & Sons (Cutlers to their majesties - No 6 Norfolk Street - Sheffield - England). So hereby also my first question to the people on this forum; can anyone tell me whether or not this a real razor or possibly a fake (the engravings are a bit different from other razors I've seen online) and if it is real, how old I might be? The person I bought it off didn't know much about it and I didn't pay a huge amount for it (AU$100).

Cheers

!
$IMG_6344.jpg

$FullSizeRender.jpg

$FullSizeRender_1.jpg

Hi and welcome to Badger and Blade! If it is real, Cutlers to their Majesties could be 1840 - 1901. With England being stamped on it, possibly after 1890. So there is a chance that the razor was made from 1890 - 1901. Apparently Joseph Rogers and Sons blades are kind of hard to date. It looks like a decent blade though, so you should get some good saves from it.

I should be very surprised if anyone could have been bothered to produce a counterfeit Joseph Rodgers razor. If you have seen from the many videos on Youtube what is involved in making a razor - and then of course, the forgers would have needed the various stamps to mark the razor!

Joseph Rodgers was a top-class manufacturer; your razor should be very good indeed.

$Norfolk_Street_Drawing_Large.jpg$Joseph_Rodgers_showroom_Large.jpg

C.

Awesome looking razor you have there! A little wet dry sand paper and some metal polish will have her shiny again. Have you found someone to hone it for you yet? Or are you gonna give it a go yourself?

Legion

Staff member
It's real, and probably from around the WW1 era.

It looks like a Microtome though, rather than a shaving razor. People do shave with them, they can just be a little trickier to hone.

I might even know where you bought that... But let's keep the hunting ground secret.

Last edited:
A fellow Aussie. G'day mate from Sydney here.

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of possibilities."

MacGyver

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Awesome find. Microtones are the western Kamisori counterpart IMO.. Never had a microtome myself but always wanted one to try.

Welcome to B&B!

G'day everybody,

My name is Mark and I'm from Melbourne, Australia. Today I received the first of a few straight razors I bought and I'm very excited to get started shaving this way. Must say that I do already have respect for everyone shaving this way as this 'device' could just as well be used as a lethal weapon!
Before I started buying I did a lot of reading about it and have also spoken to a mate who has been shaving this way for the past 2 years.
As I have a thing for most things vintage the first razor I ended up buying was a Joseph Rodgers & Sons (Cutlers to their majesties - No 6 Norfolk Street - Sheffield - England). So hereby also my first question to the people on this forum; can anyone tell me whether or not this a real razor or possibly a fake (the engravings are a bit different from other razors I've seen online) and if it is real, how old I might be? The person I bought it off didn't know much about it and I didn't pay a huge amount for it (AU$100).

Cheers

!
View attachment 720739

View attachment 720738

View attachment 720737
Hi Mark
This comes to you from South Africa, but don't let that or our poor test rugby performances bias you, we're improving (as you may have noticed) & going to slaughter some guys closeby you who wear all black.
I got a 6/8 (19mm) Jos Rodgers razor round nose engraved like yours earlier this year in a trade. Did some research & concluded that "their majesties" included both Vicky AND Bertie. Now Prince Albert died in 1861, having married in 1840. So, the blades, thus engraved, would have had to be made within that period-ie 1840 to 1861. Jos Rodgers, in respect to the grieving Queen, would not have continued with the inscription "their majesties" after 1860.
I may be wrong in this reasoning, but I firmly believe our Jos Rodgers blades were made between 1840 & 1861.
Coincidentally, I did shave with my JR blade this morning & am always awed by its performance & its long history, how many cheeks it must have glided across in, say, at least, 156 years.
Best regards
Pat

That is real and as stated it is a microtome. They are not honed like a normal straight razor due to the asymmetric design which was designed to cut. You can get one of those insanely sharp

That is real and as stated it is a microtome. They are not honed like a normal straight razor due to the asymmetric design which was designed to cut. You can get one of those insanely sharp
Been able now to open & view images
& see microtome profile. I have one given me by a neighbor, for sharpening. No manufacturers name just stamped " made & ground in Sheffield" very poor condition. At a loss whether to return it & admit defeat

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

You can look up honing protocols for these. Some ppl put one layer of tape on the hollow side, 2 on the wedge and hone it like a kamisori with ratios of your choosing.

Top Bottom