What's new

Futur clone Ming Shi 2000S

Out of curiosity, I did a face-off tonight on two days of growth between the new Baili/RR Teck II/DE1 head on a Maggard MR6 Handle with the QShave Futur clone at the lowest setting (on mine, it's something like 0.5). There was actually more blade feel from the QShave, but the Teck II head was more efficient. I used both so I was riding the cap and used pretty short strokes. The QShave is more efficient at higher settings, but the blade feel and aggressiveness (both as felt on my skin) increase too, as expected.
I might try not shaving for a week so I can test the QShave at 6 again and perhaps compare it to a Rapira, Old Type, New Standard, FaTip, R41 or something else.

I never understood the attraction to Merkur Futur. I just bought the $8 clone. I look forward to trying it out, but I suspect it will be gifted after the test drive.

Anyone found a Merkur Progress?

I never understood the attraction to Merkur Futur. I just bought the $8 clone. I look forward to trying it out, but I suspect it will be gifted after the test drive.

Anyone found a Merkur Progress?

I don't know how the original shaves, but the clone is pretty good.
I haven't been able to find a Progress clone yet. Would grab such a thing, if one pope up and the price would be low enough.

I bought mine on eBay - mainly to add to my positive feedback - after my best offer of €14 with free shipping from China to Spain was accepted
Believe it or not the razor arrived after only a week - probably the fastest delivery time for any Chinese seller on eBay
IMHO it was worth paying a bit more just for the faster delivery time

I'd never used a Futur or anything similar in my life, and although I found it to be bigger in real life than the pics did it credit, I also found it to be very ergonomic to hold
The heavy weight feels good too - I no longer concentrate on using zero pressure, but I don't press either - the weight of the 2000S really does do the work
The extra large head is surprisingly efficient, so far no nicks, no weepers, no irritation - not even under my nostrils, which have always been a magnet for weepers at the best of times
I also noticed that my face looks and feels smoother for a lot longer - I could easily go 36 hours between shaves instead of 24 of I wanted to
Something I read online might open up a can of worms in B&B .........................
A lot of people find the satin finish easier to grip, but not so smooth on the face
A lot of people found the polished chrome finish smoother on the face, but very slippery

IMHO a satin finish Mingshi 2000S with a polished chrome cap would be a fantastic razor

I wonder how many people who own satin and polished versions of Futurs might try swapping caps around to create a ...
Franken Futur

I've had mine for a few weeks now, I managed to snag one off AliExpress for $7.29 and it managed to take two weeks to ship from China to the UK with a tuck of Ming Shi blades which is the shiniest tuck I have come across.

The box for the razor was well packaged and arrived without a dent or blemish, really pleased with the seller.

I've seen others have bought the MIC clones with inclinations to purchase a Merkur Futur and the clone fulfilling as a test run. One of my intentions of buying the MIC clone was to gain some insights into using an adjustable safety razor and a razor with more bite than the ones I currently own.

Regarding the latter, although I have only had a few shaves with the clone, the aggressive nature of the razor is undeniable be it with the settings at the very lowest as others have reported; I see it as providing many shades of blue (opposed to a spectrum of different colours/options) - whichever setting you go for it's aggressive, something which is supposed to be associated with the Futur.

The aggressive nature of the razor wasn't something I expected to enjoy as much with my use of the clone so far. I've been upping the settings with additional passes as NDM63 said he did in his review and I've been getting great shaves by doing so.

Irrespective of the great deal for the razor I think the clone is a razor I will enjoy using- surprisingly well built with a even blade exposure on both sides with nice feel, fit and finish.

Strong Durable Heavy Brass Double Edge Saftey Razor - Polished Silver | eBay

This one is a little different. Claims to be solid brass. I'm tempted, if only to see if it it truly is... but at $35, it's getting very close to the price of the Merkur...

I think that might be the old version of the NT Vigour TX18 Futur clone:
http://www.vigourbrush.com/proshow.asp?/421.html
I don't think they sell that version of the design themselves any more, just a version very similar to the Ming Shi 2000S/QShave.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
My Ming Shi 2000 came today; about two weeks, eBay.

Has a nice feel and weight.

I'm unimpressed by a slight blistering brush finish/peel on/around one of the drain holes on the bottom. (I expect nothing but absolute perfection in my low cost ripoff clones!) There's brass underneath, for doubters.

Number paint seems light as well.

For the money, this will do exactly what I want: to see if I want a Merkur Futur. If I really like this thing, I'll spring for the Futur.

The whole top cap wire setup sure is odd, but seems to work - just pops on. Neat.

AA

Hmmm. I paid $8.88 for mine, and it may take up to 39 days to arrive. Getting impatient, and noticed the one that comes less classy packaging is forty cents cheaper, and guaranteed to arrive in twenty days.

Always read the fine print.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Shaved with the thing today.

Top heavy, and top cap is thick; hard to get under nose.

I'm used to some blades "singing," but the Feather was making another, odd noise that was the blade feedback.

Started on 2 - unsure of this thing - dialed it up to 4 by shave end.

I did get a perfect close shave with no nicks, but I don't like it.

Will continue trial.

AA

Do I have to wait forever?

39 days, now the vender I purchased from says 60 day. Another vendor offers the Mingshi 2000s for $6, with a delivery of under 20 days.

Six dollars. I mean, seriously? Six dollars?

Do I have to wait forever?

39 days, now the vender I purchased from says 60 day. Another vendor offers the Mingshi 2000s for $6, with a delivery of under 20 days.

Six dollars. I mean, seriously? Six dollars?

Delivery times from China seems to be random. You might have it in 2 weeks, or you might have it in 3 months. Lately delivery times have been good, at least to Canada.

I purchased 1 of these Futur clones and I haven't put it down. I love this razor. It gives me great close shaves. Better than other shavers I've tried. The quality of this shaver is better than I expected and I am a big fan now of this piece. When I first started shaving with it I started it at 3 and played around with it between 2 and 3. I'm now into my 2nd week of use and my 3 pass starts at 4, 5 and then 6. What an amazing shave.

It's heavier than my other shavers and it comes in at 98 grams om my scale. But I've come to appreciate the added weight with use. I also found the best way to load the razor is to drop the blade on the head and then pop the top on.

The feedback from the razor is something else I've come to appreciate. It's louder than other razors but it also tells you the spots on your face that need some additional work without having to touch your face with your fingers.

Would I buy this shaver again? Absolutely! Would I buy it as a gift? Yes.

If I could have only 1, it would be this razor. I'm not sure at this point when I'm going to pick up my other shavers. It's going to be awhile as my results turn out great with this Futur clone.

Top Bottom