What's new

Full "Wolf" Moon

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hope you have put down the electronics, and taken a look up tonight at the full Wolf moon.

Studying it with Oberwerk 20x80 binoculars - a birthday/Christmas gift this year - I am amazed at the moon's colors ... Around the "woman in the moon," it's dark, ash gray. But her pompadour, or whatever you call that poof of hair, is distinctly Necco wafer brown ... Other craters vary. It is by no means a uniform gray color at all. There's plenty of tans and browns.

Using a photography Manfrotto monopod - these binos are too heavy to hold long. A large pair of astronomy binoculars does a better job, for me, than a telescope. Really happy with the Oberwerks.

So who's looking up tonight?

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Make that Sea of Serenity as brown, Sea of Tranquility dark gray.

Had to look at a map. Crisium, Imbrium also on the Necco wafer brown side.

AA

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Wolf Moon:

$moon wolf.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
It was nice and clear here night before last...one of my inside cats ran off and jumped a creek width part of the pond like a deer when I tried to catch her about dark. Full moon thing got her wound up, but the full moon looked good as it was coming up at about the 8 o'clock position. She stayed out all night. Wasn't good...prairie wolves are thick around here.

Last two nights have been cloudy, but the other night the full moon looked nice. I don't have a clue what the surface areas of the moon are called...I'm doing good to find the Big Dipper.

I just had to go outside and wade into the 'yotes a bit ago...they are stubborn and don't take a hint. I need to pull my wild dog problem solver out of the gun safe and put it back to where I can get to it quickly.

If you think the full moon doesn't have an effect...just ask an ER nurse or a cop.

Last edited:
Looked at it in the morning, wow! Have had great full moon viewing weather in Michigan for months.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It was nice and clear here night before last...one of my inside cats ran off and jumped a creek width part of the pond like a deer when I tried to catch her about dark. Full moon thing got her wound up, but the full moon looked good as it was coming up at about the 8 o'clock position. She stayed out all night. Wasn't good...prairie wolves are thick around here.

Last two nights have been cloudy, but the other night the full moon looked nice. I don't have a clue what the surface areas of the moon are called...I'm doing good to find the Big Dipper.

I just had to go outside and wade into the 'yotes a bit ago...they are stubborn and don't take a hint. I need to pull my wild dog problem solver out of the gun safe and put it back to where I can get to it quickly.

If you think the full moon doesn't have an effect...just ask an ER nurse or a cop.

Mike, lots of predators use that light to hunt all night long ... Owls and coyotes around here, notably. Cat must be in!

I've tricked out that new 10/22 for specific night use, must get a photo of it up.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Ah- shows what I was talking about.

Astronomers don't hold great favor with the moon; its light washes out the more interesting faint sights.

it was the first time I've perceived colors on it, but I've only used those binoculars a few times yet. A giant telescope would take up a giant amount of room, and benefit more an observer in the hinterland.

AA

Top Bottom