FS: Swedish Gillettes

Discussion in 'The Badger & Blade Marketplace' started by letterk, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. letterk

letterk Moderator Emeritus

So I made a very large purchase of Swedish Gillettes to reduce the impact of shipping charges on my sampler packs. Well, I have more than I need (400). Bridget, at The English Shaving Company, was nice enough to give me a small discount. I'm selling them for $4.25 per pack of 5 plus shippinig. PM me with your order and shipping preference and I'll give you a final price. I'm selling up to 200ish of them right now.

UPDATE: Free shipping (for 48 states) for 4 or more packs. I have 14 packs I want to sell right now.

2. ouch

ouch Moderator Contributor

PM sent.

3. letterk

180ish left.

4. ouch

ouch Moderator Contributor

I hope 10 of them are for me. PM sent already.

5. letterk

Hmm...I remember you PM'd me, but I don't think I ever responded. I apologize. Off to PM you back...

6. letterk

70ish left.

7. I got mine for 1.75 a 5 pack.

8. rtaylor61

rtaylor61 Moderator Emeritus

Where?

Randy

9. Yeah, where. I'm interested as I think the Swedish Gillettes are rapidly becoming my favorite blade. I have yet to try the Feathers, Isreali Personnas or Merkurs but:

1. I'm a little bit scared of the Feathers
    2. I don't know anything about the Israelis
    3. My Long Handle Classic came with a Merkur Blade and it was horrible - then again I was new to DE shaving, probably had piss poor technique and I know they always say to throw that first blade away anyhow.

So, hmmmmmm, maybe my choice will change but that's still a very good price for the Swedes,
    so c'mon Joseph.......'FESS UP!:biggrin:

10. guenron

guenron Moderator Emeritus

By the time I got done with shipping I ended up paying about $3.00 from Auravita Andy. If you were to order by the gross packs, perhaps it would amortize the high cost of shipping somewhat?

11. 1. Nothing to be scared of on the Feathers - it is just a DE blade.
    2. Me neither - haven't gotten to them yet.
    3. Give the Merkurs another shot - I like them. After using Merkurs, Swedes, Derbys, and (today) a Feather, the Merkurs and Derbys are shaping up to be my go to blades right now. The Feather is fine as well but I just don't have as much experience with it.

You know you're supposed to throw that blade away...:biggrin:

12. Which kind of begs the question: Why the hell do they bother putting one in in the first place?:confused:

13. Got me - I always thought Merkur should throw a 5 pack box of their own blades in with the razor. They do make the blades too...

14. letterk

How did you do this? From Auravita, they're £ 1.85 without shipping. With today's exchange rate, that's $3.46 without shipping. Add in shipping...

15. guenron

Very simply, living in the colonies, NO VAT. Secondly I purchased them when the exchange rate was a 1.78 to 1. approx 2.81 per 5 pack + the awful shipping by Royal Mail..

16. letterk

Not to nitpick, but 1.78 x 1.85 = 3.29. I live in the US, so no VAT for me either. But then it's the shipping that gets ya. If you were to order 20 packs from Auravita, it would be $4.80 a pack. More per pack if you order less.

17. guenron

Glad you are not pickin' nits 'cause we would have some mighty itchy heads...:001_rolle
    Try this math on for size:

cal (1.85 / 1.175 ) * 1.78
    The answer is 2.8025531915

The terms are the price including VAT divided by the Ratio of the VAT Price to the Price sans VAT Times the exchange rate. Next line reveals the cost. Shipping, while not a fixed cost, came out to about $.20 per pack on 20 packs.

18. letterk

Aha! The price includes VAT. Did not notice that fine point. :blushing:

I went back and went through the order process to see the final cost, without VAT. I'm not sure how you got $.20 for shipping. Where were you shipping to? To the US, it adds quite a bit of cost. If you order 10 packs, the total is $45.40 (no VAT, 1.87 exchance rate), or $4.54/pack. If you order 20 packs, the total is $85.87, or $4.30. Ordering 100 packs, still only gets you to $4.25/pack.

I ordered from a different place, so I didn't have all this confusion.

19. guenron

Here you go. 20 packs shipping was £5.50 . Now 5.50 * 1.78 = 9.79
    9.79 /20 = .49
    So 2.80 + 49 = 3.29.. No confusion.:001_smile

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.