What's new

Freemasons Straight Razor Found in Grandfathers work bench

Hoping I could get some help on some information on a straight razor I found while going through my grandfathers work area. Found it in a extremely faded leather case that has some intricate design that has faded terribly. The razor has what I believe is pretty typical "Universally Approved" and "Certified Razor" with shells on either side of the scales. I have seen those terms talked about as a Sheffield Razor but not sure how common that is. However, there is nothing on the blade other than the Freemasons symbol (my great great grandfather was a Freemason so assuming it was his) and a faded writing that looks like "_ENBARB_". It also has some holes in the scales that look like hopefully normal wear and tear.

Any information would be great, since its an "heirloom" would like to get it refurbished even if its nothing too valuable.

Really appreciate the help.

IMG_3477.JPG
IMG_3478.JPG
IMG_3479.JPG
IMG_3480.JPG

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
John Barber, also made razors under the name I. Barber.
His trademark is what you are seeing vs a Masonic symbol added

BARBER, JOHN
Sheffield
Trademark: Square and Compasses
1810 - 1834 ("Old Sheffield Razors" by Lummus. Antiques, December 1922 p.261-267)

Antiques ..... Read this link

Antique Hoosier, Thats got to be it! Thank you for the help! Any idea what the handle could be made of?

Lastly, should it be restored or better to leave as is?

Really appreciate the help!

I would send it out to one of the guys here like @Doc226 or similar to do a light restore and honing and then use and enjoy, i say light restoration so some of the character remains.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
....... i say light restoration so some of the character remains.

Great advice. The handles are called the "scales" and those appear to be a Pressed Horn. You have a very nice family heirloom piece from one of Sheffields most well thought of cutler. Have someone carefully unpin those scales and get that rust issue taken care of and once put backed together hone it up and use it!

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
One more mention....THESE were also made by John Barber, the same Gent who made your blade...(or one of his assistants?). See,...... you are in rare air owning a Barber!
original.jpg

That's a very nice razor on it's own, given the age, style and shape it's in. But since it was your Grandfather's that takes it to whole new level of cool.
A simple restore and she'll be in business for you and your future generations.

@Caster88 now you know your Grandfather was a Freemason and have you ever thought about following his footstep becoming a Mason, and to learn to understand his true pass history throughout his life with that very special straight razor. For another words he is not allow to tell his own sons or grandsons to join and to become a Mason, because one day when the time comes he is sharing you a very special symbol that one day you know what this means.

He is asking you to join and become a Freemason by showing you a symbol without telling you, IF you're grandfather pass away when you were very young as a kid or teenage and one day he leave something behind for you to collect was a very special masonic symbol as a family member.

All you have to do is find out IF your grandfather was a Freemason or not, because not very many men carry a Freemason straight razor unless he is truly a Freemason.

Last edited:
I'm a sucker for pressed horn. I have the same scales on a W&B. Here is what yours would look like restored. Congratulations on acquiring your grandfather's razor.
IMG_4547.JPG

Looks amazing, very excited about it!

Sent it off to get restored this morning, will certainly post a picture when I get it back!

Top Bottom