What's new

Fragrances and Affects on Respiratory Conditions.

I am interested in hearing from guys who have various lung conditions, asthma or whatever and what fragrances help and those that don't.

For me after breathing in toner and other associated copier dust for almost 30 years, I now have Bronchiectasis, thickening of the tube walls in my lungs it leaves me with a cough.

Good ones for me
  • Proraso Green definitely helps with its menthol but I get over smelling menthol.
  • Proraso Blue, doesn't irritate and seems quite soothing. I like the smell of this one and I take deeper than normal breaths just enjoying the fragrance.
  • Ogallala Bay Rum Shave Soap, This one was a surprise with its clove heavy scent my breathing almost returns to normal and the cough vanishes... I usually combine it with the Proraso Blue Aftershave Balm
  • Victor Rolf - Spicebomb, encourages my deep breathing again and it's fragrance mix definitely, doesn't hurt things.

Neutral
  • Palmolive Shave Stick no noticeable difference but the shave is really good and the fragrance reminds me of the soap Mum brought when I was a kid... it should really be up there ^^^^ I guess as it doesn't make things worse.
  • West Coast Shaving, Winter Spice Shave Soap, it smells like apple pie, it's nice to use but doesn't affect anything...

Bad ones
  • The fragrance of the Aldi moisturising shower soap, I can feel things closing up in my chest ad I am usually coughing by the time I finish my shower. All I can smell is soap but normal soap doesn't do it.
  • Fibreglass resin and most epoxies.... I am in for a really bad night if I suck in too much of this stuff. (you will, obviously, never get it as a fragrance but it will ruin me for a few days but a few cheap scents do have a chemical smell to them)
This isn't in any way shape or form scientific just my anecdotal experience.

What scents affects you guys and how?

I had a negative experience with Fine Accoutrements Platinum aftershave the other day. Not only the alcohol but the menthol too - affected my nose and my hands too! my thinking was that. Next time I'd dilute it slightly with some water.

Not a respiratory thing as such, but.....

If I use my Tabac Original Stick when I shave at around 7am, it plays hell with my sinuses and I end up repeatedly sneezing very violently and loudly - my record is 20 sneezes in quick succession !!
Never any harm done, but it's potentially very unhealthy when I'm trying to shave with a DE razor - only a matter of time before my hand slips and I turn my face into chop suey !!

I don't seem to have the same problem early in the morning with any of my other soaps or any of my aftershaves, but having said that, occasionally I'll sneeze 1 or 2 times if I'm using Arko or Derby soap
On the other hand if I use my Tabac Original stick in the afternoon or early evening I don't even sneeze once.
I like Tabac, but unfortunately I only ever use it once in a blue moon if I'm shaving before going out at night

I seem to be immune to the effects of AS and colognes, but my wife has asthma, and is very sensitive to nearly everything I wear. Fortunately, I am up before her, so I can use what I enjoy.

I've had asthma my whole life, well managed with medication for the past 25 years. The only thing that really gets me is menthol. I've learned I can't use soaps with menthol, and I can only use aftershaves with light menthol...occasionally.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I don't have any medical reactions, although I do have some difficulty washing off offending scents after a short period on my skin. But when I'm spraying I do try and not get too carried away in deference to people I might encounter during the day who just might have a negative reaction.

I have also had the great pleasure of sitting next to (usually) older women who seem to have taken a bath in their favorite flowery cheap cologne. Sometimes it seems hard to find air in the room.:w00t:

Duru Limon Kolonyasi irritates my nasal passages causing increased mucous production and coughing/throat clearing. Love the stuff.

I don't have any medical reactions, although I do have some difficulty washing off offending scents after a short period on my skin. But when I'm spraying I do try and not get too carried away in deference to people I might encounter during the day who just might have a negative reaction.

I have also had the great pleasure of sitting next to (usually) older women who seem to have taken a bath in their favorite flowery cheap cologne. Sometimes it seems hard to find air in the room.:w00t:

I try to go for the "Less is more" way. During the week it's one squirt of the Spicebomb at 3/4 arms length and during the weekend it's 6 inches or so. It that makes a huge difference to how powerful it is.

I have asthma enough to need a long-acting inhaler, but I do not recall any scents, menthol, etc. ever affecting it.

There are some overpowering floral scents that feel like they are giving me a headache, but I think it is more an association with pollen than anything the actual scent is doing to me.

If anything, menthol seems to help.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Fighting a chest bug now; finding frag use impossible. Sense of smell was hyper sharpened at first; fragrance seemed a hundred times stronger. On to a cold phase now, with congestion, can't smell anything ... Or taste the Valentine's day cake. (Sigh).

AA

Try one of the menthol ones might relieve things like a Vapour Rub. The clove smell of Bay Rum works wonders on me but that's me YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom