What's new

Foxhole Shavers Club

Open to all Veterans, Active Duty, Guard/Reserves, Branches; and Countries. If you have ever shaved in "less than honorable conditions" you are in.

Founder,
F.S.C.

Last edited:
Well, well. Guess I'm the next official member.

I was Army National Guard years ago. I shaved in a foxhole, it was not fun. Camo face paint is not a suitable substitute for shaving cream.

Well, well. Guess I'm the next official member.

I was Army National Guard years ago. I shaved in a foxhole, it was not fun. Camo face paint is not a suitable substitute for shaving cream.

I've done this with a cart razor. It holds the title as both the worst and most expensive shave I've ever had. I went through 3 cartridges in that one shave as the face paint clogs up the blades and it's oily so it won't rinse out!
Thank you for creating August West. This should be fun!

Last edited:
The Official Shave Stick:

"Camolive"

$8201-genuine-military-woodland-camouflage-paint-stick.jpg

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I'm in...:thumbsup:

I remember shaving in the field (but I always with a DE razor), warming up water in a canteen cup on top of the pot-belly stove, using my brush and silver shaving mug w/ soap to build a lather, using my steel pot or canteen cup to shave, hanging my mirror on a tree limb and sitting on the chair from the old field desks.

Later on in my career when Kalvar Helmets came out...I packed in my duffel bag and brought along a medium-size Tupperware bowl to shave in.

proxy.php
"Service is the lifeblood of any organization. Everything flows from it and is nourished by it. Service [is not a metaphor or either an ulterior motive]...it's an attitude". Author Unknown

Last edited:
I was Air Force, so my idea of a foxhole includes a bed, bathroom (of sorts), and a PX down the street. Even so, I am honored to be invited to join such an honorable and distinguished organization.

Oddly enough, when I was in 'Nam I was assigned to MACV headquarters which was a joint command organized under the Army but funded by the Navy. It had personnel from all the services as well as some spooky organizations that I'm not supposed to talk about. As an Air Force captain, I was assigned in my spare time to be a rifle platoon leader in the MACV Perimeter Defense Force. In fact, my platoon was assigned to defend Creighton Abrams' hooch. I guess that shows that an Air Force captain is about as useful as an Army second lieutenant when the rubber meets the road.

I doubt that General Abrams had a warm feeling about being protected by F Troop, but he was a great guy and always came to watch our lunchtime volleyball games.

--Steve

Great story Steve. I've always said about the inner service rivalry, in a fire fight, I don't care if it's a pack of highly armed Girl Scouts, as long as they are sending rounds the same direction that I am, they are my best friend at that momment.
Welcome to the club!

Last edited:
I might as well join the CLUB. Had some wonderful (he says in a most sarcastic tone of voice) overseas, both Germany and Viet Nam, as well as back here in the States.

Worst shave ever was using bottled water, behind a tent, in the rain, and with no mirror. Still showed up to formation with my M-4 looking better than most!

My worst shave in the service was with one sleeve through my jumper, taking the steps two at a time from second deck down to the muster field, dry shave with a disposable when I overslept for a personnel inspection.

Nicked my filtrum really impressively - steady drip that lasted the entire inspection.

"Well, we can tell you shaved this morning." - Everyone, from the OIC on down to my Div Chief. Grr.

Grateful that my last time at sea didn't require shaving. No idea why I chose to shave regularly while I was in Iraq as a contractor.

Now, I just enjoy it more, even with a crapped-out synthetic brush, and a puck of VDH.

That brush is #1 on my list, then some A/S and mebbe a tube of rebranded Proraso, courtesy of C. O. Bigelow ;)

Cheers,
Matthew Z

Merkur LH, Merkur blades. Five shaves as an informed Shaver under my belt. So happy to get smarter about this shaving thing.

Spent my career in the navy. My toughest shaves just included dozens of shipmates, we had hot water & porcelain sinks. Shaving just required steadiness with the floor rocking up, down & to the sides.

Two service vet here (Navy and Army NG) - worst shave had to have been while standing next to a Paladin using a jerry can for water in the middle of the desert, no mirror just going by feel ... since it was my shower too after about 14 days of no down time, does it count? I mean since it was in the shower and all.

Last time I was in the field we had nearly run out of water near the end but our commander was coming out for a formation. So it was either use what little water was left to drink or shave with it, I chose wrong. I decided to dry shave two days growth with a cartridge razor, horrible.

This is a cool group, shared pain and all

Count me in! Usualy a good shave is my mini-escape from the field, but I've also had my share of less than stellar shaves there as well.

Top Bottom