What's new

Fountain Pens

Pens are at least as addictive as shaving gear. The bonus is that you don't have to wait on whiskers to use your newest pen. My current writing stable encompasses: two Parker 51's (aerometric Flighter and a Vacuumatic), two Heros, a Duke, a Lamy AL Star, a Waterman Phileas, a Pelikan Rollerball, my beloved Namiki VP, and two Sheaffers (Lifetime and Sentinel). The next acquisition will probably be a Sailor 1911. Writing with a good pen is a real joy, IMHO.

Wayne

I agree - but between my Pelikan 800, Lamy 2000 and Waterman Carene (not to mention the other dozen less expensive pens) in my collection, I've not felt the need to buy a new FP in years. It was the Pelikan that did it - I've tried many high end pens and don't think there's a better pen out there in terms of functionality. The Lamy 2000 is probably one of the most underrated fountain pens out there - it can often be found for around $100 and has a great nib - the piston fill system is a little more delecate than the Pelican, but that's a reasonable trade-off given the price.

The two pens I recommend for newbies are the Lamy Safari (I own 2 in different nib widths) and/or the Waterman Phileas in fine (the Waterman nibs run a little on the thick side) if you like a more classic looking pen. Both companies make excellent converters so you can use ink from a bottle.

Actually not as expensive as you might think. Among modern pens, There are some excellent ones for well under a hundred bucks. The Waterman Phileas at around forty bucks, The Pelikan M200 at around sixty are just two that come to mind. Good vintage pens are even cheaper. I just picked up a Parker 51 Special, from the 1950's, excellent condition, on EBay for $24.

Actually not as expensive as you might think. Among modern pens, There are some excellent ones for well under a hundred bucks. The Waterman Phileas at around forty bucks, The Pelikan M200 at around sixty are just two that come to mind. Good vintage pens are even cheaper. I just picked up a Parker 51 Special, from the 1950's, excellent condition, on EBay for $24.

You mean I didn't have to pay $500 for this Montblanc a few years ago?????

"Dammit, (we're running out of time)"..

Sorry, channeling Jack Bauer there for a min.

You can pay a lot more than that for a pen. But beyond a certain point, you are not buying a writing instrument as much as you are buying a piece of jewelry or a brand name. As far as writing goes, quality tops out in the $100 to $200 range. Not knocking your Mont Blanc, they are works of art. If you enjoy owning that beauty, you got your monies worth. Bet it doesn't write ten times better than my fifty dollar Pelikan, though...

You can pay a lot more than that for a pen. But beyond a certain point, you are not buying a writing instrument as much as you are buying a piece of jewelry or a brand name. As far as writing goes, quality tops out in the $100 to $200 range. Not knocking your Mont Blanc, they are works of art. If you enjoy owning that beauty, you got your monies worth. Bet it doesn't write ten times better than my fifty dollar Pelikan, though...

I've always liked the size. I have big hands and a big pen just feels good to me. Of course my handwriting is so atrocious that it doesn't really matter what size it is, LOL.

One thing I don't like about it is the size of the nib. It's a little bit wide for me, at least I think it is. Is it possible to have the nib exchanged?

My handwriting is atrocious too, but when I use a fine pen it is atrocious with a little class.
I have an old Parker with a narrow nib. I will swap it for your Montblanc if you want to. I am willing to bet you can replace your nib if you google around a little,

My handwriting is atrocious too, but when I use a fine pen it is atrocious with a little class.
I have an old Parker with a narrow nib. I will swap it for your Montblanc if you want to. I am willing to bet you can replace your nib if you google around a little,

I was wondering how long it would take for the first "I'll trade" post, ROFLMFAO!!!!

Congratulations on your Namiki Falcon aquisition. It's a wonderful pen and I've thought you could get one for $140.

My everyday pen is a Namiki-Pilot Vanishing point. It is a fountain/cartidge pen with a ball point pen opening system. I see it like the difference between a straight razor and a DE. They both do the same thing and for me are the right balance between quality and convenience.

www.nibs.com can also change and modify nibs for you.

boz

Just funning, I wouldn't try to beat you out of your pen. The way I tend to lose things, I would be courting disaster carrying an expensive pen around. The Pelikan is my shirt-pocket pen. Not hugely expensive, and current production so I could replace it easily. I use the others at home. My Waterman has a fairly broad nib, I address letters and packages with it. The other, vintage, pens get rotated for general use. Are you strictly a Montblanc man or do you have other pens?

I have a Mont Blanc rollerball that I use more than any other pen. I've had several different FPs over the years but they were all your dimestore variety. I have a feeling I may be getting additional FPs in the near future though, LOL.

The Pelikan is German-made like your Montblanc. A solid, reliable implement. I liken it to the Merkur HD. The old Parkers, Sheafers, etc are the old Gillettes and Schicks of fountain pens. At least, that is the way I look at them.

A few months ago I acquired a book entitled "Write Now" from Pendemonium. Cost--a mere $17, and in a matter of days, I had rather neat and legible script. 3 months later, my handwriting is rather nice and pleasant--something I never really believed I could do. So, you can teach an old dog new tricks, even at 65.
If you're not writing with a fountain pen, you're missing out on a truly wonderful experience, and while the sky's the limit as far as price is concerned, you can get a truly excellent fountain pen for a very reasonable price--look at the Lamy Safari's, for example. And you can learn to write well. 3 months ago I couldn't read my own writing, (egregious was an understatement.) today people marvel at what a nice script I have. Believe me--if I could do it, you can too.

You guys are all a bad influence, but Eric pushed me over the edge. My chicken scratch is pretty bad, almost to the point that I'm embarrassed to write even simple things like forms. So I ordered the book, a bottle of Noodler's Aircorp Blue-black, a black Lamy Safari fine & coverter, and a little notebook to practice writing in.

Could probably do with just the book, or even with just one of the dozens of online resources, but I know I'd end up wanting the rest of the gear too.

The Hero 132 I just got with my ink order is not only beautiful, but is a very smooth writer (w/Polar Black ink). A very nice cheap knock-off of a Parker 51. The 616 is an equally fine writer, and even cheaper.

Wayne

What is a good way to polish an old, dull-looking pen up a bit? Without damaging the finish? Something non-abrasive?

I have some plastic polish that is designed for plastic lenses, like on your car or on a projector. A couple of different grades. It's at home, I'll dig it out and get you the manuf/type.

What is a good way to polish an old, dull-looking pen up a bit? Without damaging the finish? Something non-abrasive?

Are you referring to the plastic parts? I use Novus plastic polish; it is abrasive, but they have two grades of polish and a "clean and shine" spray. the No. 1 is the spray, No. 2 is for fine scratches, and No. 3 is for heavy scratches. I found out by accident that Novus will shine up the metal parts, too.

Flitz will also work. I believe that it, too, is mildly abrasive. Usually what makes plastic dull looking (unless it's just plain dirty) is fine scratches.

I've heard good things about Mother's products as well, but haven't used them myself.

Top Bottom