What's new

Florida Everglades Airboat Tour

I've lived in South and SW Florida for over 26 years, and I've driven across US 41 countless times, but I'd never taken an airboat ride in the Everglades until today. We had a group of 8 between my family and in-laws, and we filled an airboat at a place just east of Naples. It took a bit over an hour from where I live to get there. We had a stellar weather day (and I didn't see a single mosquito!) and had a great experience! I regret not doing it sooner. The ride itself was pretty exhilarating. I thought noise and exhaust fumes from the Chevy big block engines would be a drawback, but earmuffs and a good sized fan blowing the exhaust away made for a comfortable ride.

We saw gators of all sizes, a kingfisher with a fresh catch, roseate spoonbills, herons, and egrets, as the boat planed across the River of Grass and through mangrove jungle. It was about 45 minutes and I look forward to doing it again when other visitors make it south!

We also took a lunch trip to The Rod and Gun Club in Everglades City. I won't recommend the food/drink highly, but the building is historic and worth seeing. Took too long to get here, too.

I don't think I've ever done a double take like when I was driving in Florida and saw a boat cruising across what I thought was grasslands. I wish we'd done it while we were there.

Top Bottom