What's new

Fishing with a worm or other live bait.

I won't to go fishing this year..So I have a pole (an cane pole) line (15lb) and other tools and money (an $1.00 an day) to fish this park..I looking at nightcrawers as start..Any other tips?:001_cool:

When the crawlers don't work, a DuPont spinner always fills the cooler.

Last edited by a moderator:
use whatever live bug you find around the fishing spot like grasshoppers, crickets, caterpillar. thats what the fish are eating.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
use whatever live bug you find around the fishing spot like grasshoppers, crickets, caterpillar. thats what the fish are eating.

Best advise ever.

If you are buying bait at the bait shop ask them...minnows are good, but what are you fishing for? Oh...and part of the country are you located?

The old cane pole brings back memories from Granddad taking me fishing in ponds and catching grasshoppers and digging up worms...I'm gonna have to get get a new cane pole.

Best advise ever.

If you are buying bait at the bait shop ask them...minnows are good, but what are you fishing for? Oh...and part of the country are you located?

The old cane pole brings back memories from Granddad taking me fishing in ponds and catching grasshoppers and digging up worms...I'm gonna have to get get a new cane pole.

Im in nc, zone 7b.

Its socked with catfish, bass and beam... I'm mostly just going release them back..

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Sounds about like here.

For the fun from my pond I usually just buy the nightcrawlers at the bait shop if I'm too lazy to catch grasshoppers or turn over a log for worms. Catch bass and perch all the time on worms.

I usually release also as I don't really care for fresh water fish.

Salt water fish though.

Sounds about like here.

For the fun from my pond I usually just buy the nightcrawlers at the bait shop if I'm too lazy to catch grasshoppers or turn over a log for worms. Catch bass and perch all the time on worms.

I usually release also as I don't really care for fresh water fish.

Salt water fish though.
I'm the same way. I don't keep freshwater fish, it's a sport for me. All catch and release. Get me out on the bay 5 minutes away and it's a seafood feast.

i dont bait fish much anymore, mostly because i do a mix of keep and catch and release for trout. ive had great luck with small rubber swimming bait, but good ol night crawlers are what comes with me most often when i bait fish.

I fish with a can of peas and a baseball bat. I sprinkle some peas on the surface of the water.

When the fish come up to take a pea, I hit them with the bat.

My uncle Costantino's favorite fishing story.

I fish with a can of peas and a baseball bat. I sprinkle some peas on the surface of the water.

When the fish come up to take a pea, I hit them with the bat. :lol::lol::lol:

My uncle Costantino's favorite fishing story.
:lol::lol::lol: I had to drag and drop these. Things are starting to get weird.

Last edited:
Crickets are the best route IMO. It's cleaner. Really easy to get on the hook if you have done it before.

Cane poles are fun but 15lbs is too heavy and thick for line. You should use something closer to 3-4lbs.

I don't use that heavy of line (15lb) when I fish saltwater flats.

If that is all you have; however, it should work.

Good luck and enjoy. Take some pictures if you can.

Last edited:
Worms work well, but I also find that fish steal them off my hook more often than not, no matter how good I put it on. My son and I have the best luck with cut up hot dogs and a can of corn. We catch Bluegill, Bass, and Catfish on corn.

Worms work well, but I also find that fish steal them off my hook more often than not, no matter how good I put it on. My son and I have the best luck with cut up hot dogs and a can of corn. We catch Bluegill, Bass, and Catfish on corn.

Corn is illegal to fish with here. Get a ticket if its even on your boat.

To the OP I like to use Crickets, and meal worms. But when I am fishing for catfish I use bread!

Top Bottom