What's new

First Straight Shave at 50

My first official straight razor shave and I must admit it was significantly closer than I expected (DFS), especially for a single pass. Granted, I followed the wisdom of others and only shaved my cheeks to just below my jawline.

Set up:
Vintage Wade & Butcher
Custom Finest Badger brush
PAA Deja Fougere
Old Spice mug
Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Captains Choice Bay Rum
Prep:
Hot water rinse
Hot towel for 30 seconds

I added a drop or two of glycerin to the mug before lathering in the mug, I hoped the extra slickness would help. Admittedly my razor was a bit unsteady...funny how a ridiculously sharp blade can provide a bit of an adrenaline rush.
I did one pass North to South, although I had a bit of trouble shaving the edge of my goatee by my chin. This is where I sustained a small nick on the right side which was easily handled with the alum block. Finished up with a cold water rinse and a splash of Captains Choice Bay Rum. No burn except the small nick.

I did learn a valuable lesson; it may not have been wise to let my beard grow for three days. It seemed to pull a little which is the same feeling I get with my DE razors. However, I will admit some of strokes were a bit more tentative than usual and it took a bit to learn how to stretch my skin.

All in all I would consider this a successful first step for this fifty year old. Thank you to @doc47 for the tutorial and encouragement as well as @SirChangalot, @mycarver and a host of other B&B members. You were right, a straight razor shave can be an exhilarating experience.

Now I just need to work on making it relaxing. :001_smile

Last edited:
Target 100 SR shaves, you will be surprised the quality of shave you are getting. 200 is the beginning of BBS shaves and by 300 SR shaves all you will get is BBS shaves! Go slow, count your shaves and keep this journal. [emoji106]
When you get to +1000 shaves the shaves will be ... no I can't find the words for it.

Congrats on a good start. Welcome to the party. I have a similar issue when I skip shaving for a day or two, doesn't matter how sharp the blade, it feels like it pulls, but the pulling feeling on extended growth is much different than on a dull blade, someone commented in my journal that it was more resistance than pulling. My guess for you is that the next shave will feel much more comfortable.

Congrats ccpastork, sounds like you had a great first shave!!
My first shave took almost an hour...2 pass WTG decent shave. Nervous as I've ever been.
I kept track of all my shaves for about 300 then the shave journal fell off because i would just forget too often. It's truly amazing how "normal" it feels after a while...like you've been doing this your whole life.
Even after 3 years it can still bite me occasionally when careless and in a hurry.

I also get a "pulling" near the corners of my mouth on my cheeks with a few days growth that I don't get otherwise. I think part of it for me anyway is the blade not being all the way down to skin level on that part of my cheek and is sorta tree topping mid hair which can cause some pulling IME.

You will continue to figure out what works and what doesn't for you personally as you go along. Enjoy the ride, sounds like you're off to a great start!!

May you enjoy 50 more years worth of str8rzr bursts of Zen.

Amazing what one can accomplish if only to dare to put a boot on the ground and try.

SHAVE #2

I have a PIFed strop, but I failed to notice I needed a way to attach it to something. So I ventured forth and palm stropped the razor for 20 laps (did a bit of reading/watching); I shall remedy this tomorrow as it did not set a relaxed mood for my second shave. :w00t:
The razor passed the HHT, although it had a tad more resistance, yet another reason to set up the leather strop.

Set up was the same as before so as to limit variables and provide a consistent baseline for evaluating my progress.

One pass North to South, but this time I included my neck. Still some difficulty shaving around the edges of my goatee on my chin area. It was also a challenge to shave the "valley" to the left and right of my Adam's apple. Suggestions would be appreciated. It is also clear that my left hand needs to catch up, though I suspect time and practice is the only cure.

The resulting shave was a CCS with only two tiny weepers on my neck just below my jaw. Not quite as smooth as the first, which I suspect was because the razor was not as sharp...lesson learned...proper stropping is in order. I will consider this a success since I learned a few things in the process and there was no need for medical intervention.
:001_cool:

A cold water rinse, a splash of Captains Choice Bay Rum and I am feeling like a proper gentleman...though I may not look like one.

SHAVE #2

I have a PIFed strop, but I failed to notice I needed a way to attach it to something. So I ventured forth and palm stropped the razor for 20 laps (did a bit of reading/watching); I shall remedy this tomorrow as it did not set a relaxed mood for my second shave. :w00t:
The razor passed the HHT, although it had a tad more resistance, yet another reason to set up the leather strop.

Set up was the same as before so as to limit variables and provide a consistent baseline for evaluating my progress.

One pass North to South, but this time I included my neck. Still some difficulty shaving around the edges of my goatee on my chin area. It was also a challenge to shave the "valley" to the left and right of my Adam's apple. Suggestions would be appreciated. It is also clear that my left hand needs to catch up, though I suspect time and practice is the only cure.

The resulting shave was a CCS with only two tiny weepers on my neck just below my jaw. Not quite as smooth as the first, which I suspect was because the razor was not as sharp...lesson learned...proper stropping is in order. I will consider this a success since I learned a few things in the process and there was no need for medical intervention.
:001_cool:

A cold water rinse, a splash of Captains Choice Bay Rum and I am feeling like a proper gentleman...though I may not look like one.

Try dhaving from gottee to ear....i move the hair of mine with my opposite hand which also stretches the skin. Just turn your head as you go to keep the skin taught plus underneath can be done the same way looking up plus duck necking it...

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Congrats! As you get more experienced adding more speed to your pass may alleviate the pulling feeling. Adding in some scything motion might also encourage the blade to cut vs pop the whiskers.

Try dhaving from gottee to ear....i move the hair of mine with my opposite hand which also stretches the skin. Just turn your head as you go to keep the skin taught plus underneath can be done the same way looking up plus duck necking it...

Excellent advice...that should have been an obvious one...thank you!

Third shave and I have now shaved my face and neck twice without incident.

Set Up/Prep:
Same as the first, but with three exceptions - no hot towel, I used Stirling Bounty soap and I did 25 laps on linen and 30 laps on leather pe-shave, slowly while paying attention to very little pressure and keeping the spine and edge on the strop during each pass. Ended up with one small nick on the very edge of the strop as I was flipping the razor. Used a hair from my brides brush and was still able to pop hair multiple times the length of the blade, though perhaps not as easily when compared to post-honing at Portland Razor Company.

Two pass shave North to South and then NE to SE on cheeks and South to North on neck. I managed a close comfortable shave with only one small weeper near my Adam's apple. My left hand is still the weak link which makes it very slow and awkward shaving my left side.

Still, I consider it a success with some progress which is I think is reasonable.

Top Bottom