What's new

First shaves with an Old Type

I am now two shaves in with a 1919 Old Type. I really like how I can get close under the nose without removing my nose! I once nicked my nose three times in one week as I was learning to shave traditionally! At that time I was using the Maggard V2 open comb.

Yesterday was the first shave. I tried to relax as much as possible and pay attention to what angle seems to work best for me. A big thanks to many members who posted Old Type technique tips, as searching produced many beneficial threads. Both @nuclearblast and @TobyC have helped me more than they would know (except if they read this now!).

I found the shallow angle (riding the cap until whiskers get cut, as TobyC said in one post!) worked best for me. I look forward to learning more with this razor. Here is a quick snap of the set up I am using right now. 20170313_234017.jpg

I will be trying either a Gillette Silver Blue or a 7 O'clock Stainless Steel next. One of those two works great in a post-War Tech that have. But the Red Personnas are my favorite for the Slim, and my blade I am most confident and comfortable with, so it was what I started with yesterday.

The first shave was a bit irritating at first, but then I realized my angle was too steep (?, more parallel to face, the best angle for my Slim). When I "rode the cap," thing went better. And today I did one pass with some touch ups on my neck and it was really good.

Thanks for reading. I just wanted to share and say Thank You! Comments and advice are welcome!

I remember the Gillette old was my first ever experience with a DE. Disgusted at how often my sensor got clogged, I decided to give the old I had on display a try with the Wilkinson blades I found locally. Watchd a few videos and gave it a try. Needless to say I had a few cuts, but the shave itself was incredible. I was hooked on the spot and started buying new equipment. My latest DE razor acquisition has been the Rockwell 6S which I love on plate 6 on a 3-4 day stubble. The Old took buck its place in the display cabinet.

@kyproset, I have a Rockwell 6C on order. If it shaves as well as the 6S (based on all the rave reviews online), I am fearful that my vintage razors may be relegated to display! I can't imagine, for me, a better razor than my Slim.

@kyproset, I have a Rockwell 6C on order. If it shaves as well as the 6S (based on all the rave reviews online), I am fearful that my vintage razors may be relegated to display! I can't imagine, for me, a better razor than my Slim.
I have 2 slims and two fatboys. As they are vintage, they have variations which results in different shaves at the same setting. For example, my 1960 fatboy is way better than my 1961 at the same setting. Actually my 1960 gave me the best shaves in a long time. The same with the slims. One shaves better than the other. The Rockwell though is beyond words. I don't know how the 6C shaves compared to the 6S but I bet they are pretty close if not the same.
Find the right plate for you and it's going to give you the best shaves of your life. In fact I love mine so much I ordered the soon to be released model T adjustable.

Nice looking Old type. Is the black color tarnished silver or some other effect? I ask because I have a head that needs rescue (loose center stud, bent teeth) and I want to make the cap black. I will be using some of the techniques that I have learned following this forum.

Thanks

Nice looking Old type. Is the black color tarnished silver or some other effect? I ask because I have a head that needs rescue (loose center stud, bent teeth) and I want to make the cap black. I will be using some of the techniques that I have learned following this forum.

Thanks
It was refinished by Delta Echo Razor Works in black chrome and bronze, what the website refers to as the Metals Edition.

I am now two shaves in with a 1919 Old Type. I really like how I can get close under the nose without removing my nose! I once nicked my nose three times in one week as I was learning to shave traditionally! At that time I was using the Maggard V2 open comb.

Yesterday was the first shave. I tried to relax as much as possible and pay attention to what angle seems to work best for me. A big thanks to many members who posted Old Type technique tips, as searching produced many beneficial threads. Both @nuclearblast and @TobyC have helped me more than they would know (except if they read this now!).

I found the shallow angle (riding the cap until whiskers get cut, as TobyC said in one post!) worked best for me. I look forward to learning more with this razor. Here is a quick snap of the set up I am using right now. View attachment 775689

I will be trying either a Gillette Silver Blue or a 7 O'clock Stainless Steel next. One of those two works great in a post-War Tech that have. But the Red Personnas are my favorite for the Slim, and my blade I am most confident and comfortable with, so it was what I started with yesterday.

The first shave was a bit irritating at first, but then I realized my angle was too steep (?, more parallel to face, the best angle for my Slim). When I "rode the cap," thing went better. And today I did one pass with some touch ups on my neck and it was really good.

Thanks for reading. I just wanted to share and say Thank You! Comments and advice are welcome!

Very cool! Glad I could be of assistance, nice looking razor! :thumbsup:

Shallow angle is king on an old type!
... only until you make an effort to learn to use it at a steep angle. You'll never go back, but give it at least 10 consecutive shave. It's like learning how to drink black coffee after a lifetime of cream and sugar.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
... only until you make an effort to learn to use it at a steep angle. You'll never go back, but give it at least 10 consecutive shave. It's like learning how to drink black coffee after a lifetime of cream and sugar.
Hmmm. I may have to try that. Great analogy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yep, I don't pay attention to angle anymore, I just shave.

Thanks for all the great input! I am enjoying the shave more and thinking about what kind of day the original owner would be facing (imagine no Facebook or forums!) is a fun reflection.

I too only have couple shaves with an Old Type under my belt, and I found they are efficient shavers, just not easy. I have much to learn.

I've been DE shaving for over 40 years, using a Gillette Super Adjustable and a Super Speed for the bulk of those years. It's only in the last few years that I've tried other razors and it's only been a few weeks that I've owned any Gillette Old Types.

I've got a Merkur 1904 open comb that is modeled after the Gillette Old Type, but it shaves much easier than the original. My Ball-end Old Type requires an vigilance and focus on technique that reminds me more of shaving with the Gem Single-edge razors than it does shaving with Tech or TTO razor.

Top Bottom