What's new

First shave with shavette

Hi,

Today I had my first shave with disposable shavette. This was my first shave ever with shavette, I also have to mention I've never had a shave with straight razor.

So let me begin I was scarred for my moles not that I'll cut rest of my face. First encountered problem was holding it. For a first pass I went with the grain and I did not missed a place on my cheeks, but (there is always a but) when I moved to my neck things started to be quite difficult but only one small weeper after WTG pass.
Second pass was a mixture of XTG on my chin and lower neck and ATG on my cheeks, sideburns.
So here is result- solid shave, my neck is really really smooth I'd say result is just as good as with my Gillette SS Regular tip.
On the other side I have a few weepers and slight razor burn, also good amount of discomfort while shaving since this was my first time ever holding and shaving with that kind of razor.
So I have question; my razor skipped in a moments when I felt like I'm loosing control over the blade, do I have to hold it closer to the blade when I perform upward strokes?

Best regards,
Borna

Here is the shavette

Attachments

• 16901704_10208739485948265_1503346897_n.jpg
    16901704_10208739485948265_1503346897_n.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I've never seen one like that?
I've been using one for a couple of months now but it's a Dovo shavette and I'm getting some really good results from it.

I've never seen one like that?
I've been using one for a couple of months now but it's a Dovo shavette and I'm getting some really good results from it.

Well I'm thinking of buying vintage straight razor from solingen, I've found a few razors that would be adequate for honing and stroping. Also I found Dovo in a local store, what do you prefer? Is shave comfortable?

Hey Bookie;
Disposable blade straight razors, in my experience, are a deal sharper and less forgiving than a "true" straight razor. Although there is some technique that is transferable (same can even be said for DE razors), a "shavette" is a different animal and does require its own methods.
If you're starting on a disposable to eventually transfer to a "true" straight, you may find that the straight doesn't slice through facial hair as easily as the disposable blade did. That is an odd, but interesting, looking model you are using (no scales or weight) so your approach may need to be additionally unique with that one.
Keeping in mind that one wants to use a light touch when DE shaving or straight shaving, I advise you keep an even lighter touch with a disposable blade straight. I barely put any pressure or force on my razor, literally letting the weight of the razor do 85-90% of the work. I would also suggest that you refrain from using your wrist when shaving. My wrist almost never bends during passes and I let my shoulder and, to a lesser extent, my elbow do the work. That way I keep the same angle and avoid progressive force as I make my passes.
I really like my "shavette" shaves and hope that you find the razor and technique that you enjoy best.

Unlike a DE, I find that it is an absolute must that both hands and razor are bone dry to avoid slipping and to maintain full control.

BTW, I also shaved with a Shavette this morning. A smooth shave but I'm left handed and not good with my right. So my throats gets a bit raw trying to get it right. Been rubbing Coconut Oil on my red neck all day.

Back to my DE next time. My Shavette can wait another few weeks.

@Charlie Van Dyke Thank you for your help. I'll buy few more of these little guys, very very cheap over here and I'll practice.
Biggest problem I've encountered was holding it. My fingers are long and wide/bony and that additional "grip" is missing that straights/shavettes have and this disposable like kamisori haven't.
This month I use exclusively only one type of blade/razor/brush/cream so in april I'll try it again.

@Antony try rubbing labello in it, since it's type of balm it could help with that things. Sometimes cartridges destroy my face if I'm chasing BBS. We have a cream very similar to labello called melem, we use it for every type of skin damage.

try rubbing labello in it, since it's type of balm it could help with that things. Sometimes cartridges destroy my face if I'm chasing BBS. We have a cream very similar to labello called melem, we use it for every type of skin damage.
Thanks... Will do!

Bookie;
If you're trying out a new shaving system (shavette in lieu of DE, or DE in lieu of cartridge, etc.) I would recommend not trying to achieve a BBS for a while until you're new technique is more firmly set into your mind (muscle-memory, habit). It will get there eventually, but remember that there is a learning curve to these things and, for the most enjoyable experience, you have to wait until that curve flattens out.
If I may suggest a challenge that might help you lock your technique down quickly: shave every day, but only one pass. This will allow for quicker re-growth and therefore more shaving practice, but it will also help you learn to accept a CCS or SAS on occasion instead of always chasing a BBS.
Save the BBS for date night. Coworkers don't need to feel your face. :a21:
Good luck.

Antony;
I love Thayer's Witch Hayzel with Aloe and Cucumber.
I splash that on after every shave and when it dries, I use my aftershave balm of the day.

Bookie;
If you're trying out a new shaving system (shavette in lieu of DE, or DE in lieu of cartridge, etc.) I would recommend not trying to achieve a BBS for a while until you're new technique is more firmly set into your mind (muscle-memory, habit). It will get there eventually, but remember that there is a learning curve to these things and, for the most enjoyable experience, you have to wait until that curve flattens out.
If I may suggest a challenge that might help you lock your technique down quickly: shave every day, but only one pass. This will allow for quicker re-growth and therefore more shaving practice, but it will also help you learn to accept a CCS or SAS on occasion instead of always chasing a BBS.
Save the BBS for date night. Coworkers don't need to feel your face. :a21:
Good luck.
Problem is I can achieve BBS but then there are consequences. I usually do one pass with DE and touch up in 95% of my shaves. If I want that much closer shave but not BBS I'll do additional pass. I'm not obsessed with BBS. But when I have a cartridge razor in my hands I go mad, and always the same story
I did actually get quite good shave with shavette, by good I mean close, no visible stubble.

I had a shave with my new shavette, cheap chinese shavette from ebay.
I have to say shave was great, by great I mean DFS on neck BBS on my face. Only 2 minor weepers, that disapperead with cold water.
I dared to do a second pass that was ATG pass and even that went without problem.
Shave is comparable with my SS and I can't stop checking my face how smooth this is.
My only concern was holding it but with normal size of a shavette it was good, I did my right side with my right hand and my left side with my left hand, I went with very very light touch like you said.
Thank you guys for your help, with out your advices I would slice my face up, instead I have very clean and close shave.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're on the road toward success. Keep it up and enjoy the journey.
I have yet to employ my left hand when shaving. I shave my whole face with my dominant (right) hand. Maybe some day,

If you are staying with Shavette over true straight, I am all in for Feather! Have recently been gifted a vintage Feather Pro 25, uses same blades as modern AC series - compared to my 3 true straights I got way better results - and as other posters mentioned the blade is much sharper.....I have found the stroke technique is really not much different on the Feather which is weighted and balanced with scales just like a true straight. So far I have 4 shaves on the first blade and it just started to dull enough I could feel it....and it is still way sharper than any of my straights ever could hope to be. Invest in a higher quality shavette, that would be my 2 cents.

The feather looks very cool and I am interested in going that direction, eventually. However, one of the major attractions of using a shavette was the opportunity to get a straight-ish shave and use DE blades, whole or halved.
Feather uses proprietary blades and that, accompanied with the price tag, has kept me weary of venturing down that road. I'm sure that once I've acquired enough shavette which can use DE blades, my curiosity will get the better of me and I'll have to get the feather.

Oh, I forget.....we all don't have unending funds to do this stuff. We have been empty nesting for almost a year now. Guess that makes this new "hobby" easier to take care of funds wise. I would be happy to PIF you blades for a Feather if you go about acquiring one! I really like the older style, even though to open it and clean needs small jewelry screw driver; the blade loads very easily with a jig guide that interlocks to the cartridge.

Thanks for the offer, but it isn't necessary. The attraction of being able to use DE blades for me is analogous to why I also like .22lr, 9mm, and 5.56/.223 firearms. It is the most prevalent and available resource in its respective field. When the zombies take over the earth, I Need to be sure that I'm able to maintain smooth cheeks, a clean neck, and a well manicured Van Dyke. Otherwise, what's the point of surviving the apocalypse?
:2guns: :jump:

Top Bottom