What's new

First shave - razor burn.

Hello all,

Today I shaved with my new shavette for the first time. All went OK considering it was a first attempt. But I have some razor burn, is there a most likely cause for the burn? Not enough lather, blade angle off for examples.

Routine:

Shower
Hot water from a flannel to make sure neck was wet
Lather up
Shave (took a while as it was first time)
Relather (is this bit worth it?)
Shave to make sure I've got everything
Hot water to wash of remaining foam
Cold water
Post shave balm

All shaves was with grain.

Other than the burn, only a few bloddy spots. I'm taking it as a success.

Any advice welcome.

Halfshave

This will be the first of many posts to mention "pressure". You're likely using too much of it. You are also right in that lack of lather and not using the correct angle can do the same thing.

Yes, pressure is the first thing I would look at. Also, if you are shaving slow, try lathering your face in sections. I did this when I started. I still do this for my atg pass. Give yourself some time, and you will get it.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Congrats on your first successful straight razor shave. A few things I'd watch on the next shave are:
1. Pressure and angle. Keep the pressure light and the angle steep. Short strokes.
2. Spend time on your lather and make sure it's right. You want it thinner than you've been using with your DE's, but not too thin. If it's drying out on you try just lathering one side at a time, and by all means re-lather if necessary.
3. Stretch your skin as you shave.

What at soap or cream are you using?

The lather did get dryer towards the end, I will try doing sections.

The shaving cream is bluebeard revenge, I brought a set to get me started.

Halfshave

Hard to add more here. Pressure. less pressure and a really sharp razor should not need much pressure to shave.

Fixing the technique and make sure the razor is extremely keen are starting places.

while you are leaning technique barber's alum can reduce the irritation some.

Top Bottom