What's new

First pipe - Help a newbie choose some tobacco

So I am planning to get my first pipe this weekend. I am not a heavy smoker. I don't do cigs, just the occasional cigar, maybe 1-2 per month. I'm not looking to get into it for a lot of money. I just want the occasional Saturday night on the porch relaxer. I have made up my mind on a Missouri Meerschaum cob pipe, but I have no idea where to start on tobacco. I have memories about the grand scents when my grandfather and uncles SAT around smoking pipes and playing cards. They were all blue collar guys and could make a penny last a month, so I know they were not buying high dollar stuff. I just remember a rich, slightly sweet tobacco scent. So where can I find a solid juxtaposition of cost and quality?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I would say go to your local tobacco shop and smell the bulks and see what you like. They rarely have the same flavor to me smoking as they do sitting, but its a start. If you can, buy a pinch of a few like a Cavendish, a VaPer and maybe an English, and go from there.

When I started onto the pipe my memories were based on my Uncle and his Captain Black Cherry. I started off with aromatics which I figured, correctly, that my girlfriend would like the room note.
I really like the Suttliff Maple scented tobacco and bought it cheaply in bulk from Smokingpipes.ca. I think it was less than $5 for 50grams.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I would avoid the heavy aromatics until you become more experienced smoking a pipe, there is a learning curve to smoking a pipe without burning your tongue and keeping the tobacco lit. I would start with Captain Black in the white pouch first, which is a milder aromatic readily available OTC. Your choice of a MM cob is perfect. Carter Hall is another OTC that is a classic match with a cob pipe. Enjoy the journey!

If you want something reminiscent of your grandfather/uncles then I'd say go the way of readily available OTC options like Nortac laid out (CB White, CH, Sir Walter Raleigh Regular, Prince Albert, Half and Half).

If you want something closer to cigars, I'd say get to a cigar/pipe store and tell the clerk you'd like to try something English. See/smell what's offered and ask for two ounces of whichever one floats your boat.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Also be sure to check out the stickies under "Gentleman's Guide to the Leaf". Hours of reading there. I found the Cob Primer worth printing up and putting into a binder, but I'm old school like that.

Can't go wrong with a MM Cob...that's pretty much all I smoke. As for tobacco, as others recommended, I would try some OTC blends. Carter Hall is my favorite. I'd personally avoid Captain Black White. When I was a newbie, I had such a hard time with CBW (couldn't keep it lit, tongue bite) I basically gave up pipe for a couple years.

Lane 1Q (most local tobacconists use this as a house blend but name it something different)

A Latakia blend of some kind (try cupojoes Adirondack Tiger Slices or just as the tobacconist what they have with a Latakia)

A straight Virginia flake or something similar like Orlik Golden Slices

And if you have a local tobacconist, get something your nose says is a winner.

They were all blue collar guys and could make a penny last a month, so I know they were not buying high dollar stuff.

That's why they were smoking a pipe in the first place! Even now, pipe tobacco is far superior in cost vs cigarettes or cigars*. Some of the most expensive pipe tobacco's only cost what cheap cigars cost if you look at it from a $/hour standpoint.

I should clarify that I am examining tobacco ONLY in this statement. If you only ever buy corn cob pipes, you are golden. If you decide you must have expensive briars or meerschaums, your total cost will obviously go up.

That's why they were smoking a pipe in the first place! Even now, pipe tobacco is far superior in cost vs cigarettes or cigars*. Some of the most expensive pipe tobacco's only cost what cheap cigars cost if you look at it from a $/hour standpoint.

I should clarify that I am examining tobacco ONLY in this statement. If you only ever buy corn cob pipes, you are golden. If you decide you must have expensive briars or meerschaums, your total cost will obviously go up.
I think I will be just fine with a cob. I don't begrudge niceties to those who can afford then, but my current station has taught me to enjoy functional frugality.

I started with a meerschaum and moved to briars. Stayed with briars until 2 years ago. Decided I'd try this novelty concept of a corn cob pipe. Chuckling when I bought this thing for $8 I went home and gave it a whirl.

I now own 4 and will always have them in rotation. Wish I took the dive many years ago.

I think I will be just fine with a cob. I don't begrudge niceties to those who can afford then, but my current station has taught me to enjoy functional frugality.
I hear you and commend you for that! Cobs are great. I have 13 cobs in my regular rotation (thanks to MM's Grab Bag of 10 Smokable Seconds for ~$30) and they are pretty much all I use.

I hear lots of good things about MM cobs, so I am looking forward to trying.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Welcome to the Brown Leaf! An MM cob will be great for starting out. I'm pretty sure that most of the members on here have at least one corncob pipe in their collection.

Hmmm there are so many good tobaccos to try.

Carter hall and prince albert are pretty good otc burleys.

Lane 1q and bca are pretty good light aromatics

Orlick golden sliced and dunhill flake are good lighter virginia flakes

Frog morton blends are nice for English and I quite like dunhill 965.

The possibilities are endless haha. The suggestion to go to a brick and mortar store is a good one. You can smell some stuff first hand and most let you sample a bowl for a tiny "fee".

First tobacco I tried was captian black original. I didn't have the bitting problems alot of peeps do. It smelled nice (to me). But I didn't get much flavor. It was super mild. I pick up more flavor now but not much. I know captain black isn't highly regarded by many but the last pouch I opened for the first pipe herf has been different. It's not as goopy as I remember, burns cooler, and hasn't bit no mater how hot I get it. I like it. Not tons of flavor but its smells nice and leaves a pleasant aroma on my clothes. Does a good job covering the smell of a stonger tobacco too haha.

Just smoked my first bowl in my brand new Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob Pipe. I went with a couple of samples from a local tobacco store. They have a line of store name blends. The one I tried was called Wilshire. Mildly sweet, not bad at all. Had to relight a couple of times, but all in all it was a good smoke.

My advice, as I'm new as well, is try a few. And if you don't like it, try it again in a week. I didn't like carter hall at first. But as I learned to smoke properly, it tasted much better. Bullseye flake is my favorite so far, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My advice, as I'm new as well, is try a few. And if you don't like it, try it again in a week. I didn't like carter hall at first. But as I learned to smoke properly, it tasted much better. Bullseye flake is my favorite so far, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of good advice this morning. I have blends I hated and a year or two later, grabbed the mason jar, tried it again and wished I had a pound of it for a daily smoke.

Top Bottom