What's new

Finally "formally" stopping by

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
image.jpeg
Hi Aaron!
First name is Shawn, and no on the charcoal grill. Actually, no grill at the moment. Last one finally died on me.

Hello Shawn. Get a smoker or a grill.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Hi Shawn! Welcome to the Mess Hall!
proxy.php

Don't let Aaron push you into anything... and don't believe everything he tells you. You really can put beans in your Chili if you want to. :lol:

Hi Shawn! Welcome to the Mess Hall!
proxy.php

Don't let Aaron push you into anything... and don't believe everything he tells you. You really can put beans in your Chili if you want to. :lol:
Thanks Connie, I won't. (And I do put beans in my chili....)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks Connie, I won't. (And I do put beans in my chili....)

Shawn, don't listen to Connie. She said she wanted to marry me after I posted a picture of Picadillo.

...if you put beans in your perfectly made chili it ceases to be chili. It's now bean soup with meat.

Shawn, don't listen to Connie. She said she wanted to marry me after I posted a picture of Picadillo.

...if you put beans in your perfectly made chili it ceases to be chili. It's now bean soup with meat.
Now I see why they call this the "mess hall". You stop in to say hello and it turns into a "mess" real quick.... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Depending on your process, it could be chili stewed meat with beans, couldn't it? ;)

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Depending on your process, it could be chili stewed meat with beans, couldn't it? ;)

I would think it is the percent of beans to meat that makes or breaks it as a Chilli.
Just what the tipping point is I'm not sure, maybe 25%, 33%, 50% plus?
IMO more than 33% is pushing it but I'm sure @DoctorShavegood would say 0.0001% beans is too much, making it no longer a chilli. :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I would think it is the percent of beans to meat that makes or breaks it as a Chilli.
Just what the tipping point is I'm not sure, maybe 25%, 33%, 50% plus?
IMO more than 33% is pushing it but I'm sure @DoctorShavegood would say 0.0001% beans is too much, making it no longer a chilli. :)
Depending on the region, beans may or may not be acceptable in chili. Texas Red, however, should not contain beans.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Depending on the region, beans may or may not be acceptable in chili. Texas Red, however, should not contain beans.

Agree, Texas Red is sans beans. With beans it's still a chilli in my books, just not a Texas Red.
My view on beans is from a Kiwi's point of view, so yes I also agree with depending on region.
Can I put vegemite in my chilli? :stuart:

Well if that's the case, I'm going to continue to make my chili bean soup with meat then. SWMBO would get mad at me if I quit making it the way I do, and I'm not making her mad. I'd rather suffer a flaming here. :001_tt2:

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
That's okay Shawn, I've got your back... Those Texans don't know beans about (and in) Chili! :001_tt2:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Well if that's the case, I'm going to continue to make my chili bean soup with meat then. SWMBO would get mad at me if I quit making it the way I do, and I'm not making her mad. I'd rather suffer a flaming here. :001_tt2:

You're just fine with that...you are calling it the proper name. :001_smile

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
You think chili with or with out beans is controversial? How about Gumbo? With okra or filé (pronounced "fillet") or both? Dark roux or light?

I've eaten lots of great gumbo. I like it when it's cooked with orka and filé both. I like it when the okra is cooked down and completely vanishes.

Gumbo: early 19th century: from the Angolan word kingombo meaning ‘okra.'

Here's some history behind the subject:
A Short History of Gumbo

Not touching that one. I spent almost 10 years in NC and found out there is nothing about okra or grits that I find in the least bit appetizing. You guys (and gals:001_smile) can have those all to your own should you choose.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Not touching that one. I spent almost 10 years in NC and found out there is nothing about okra or grits that I find in the least bit appetizing. You guys (and gals:001_smile) can have those all to your own should you choose.

Not even fried okra?...yummy.

fried-okra-poppers-everydaydishes_com-H.jpg

Top Bottom