What's new

February Photo Challenge: Street Art (Graffiti)

The photo challenge for February will be Graffiti (street art). As much as we hate it, there is some very artistic graffiti painted by some people.

No sample pictures posted, because I haven't done this myself yet. I plan to head to the rail yards and look at the graffiti placed upon rail cars.

Looking forward to the postings.

Have fun and stay safe.

Jim

• You must be the photographer
  • One entry per month.
  • Try and make the image a recent one
  • Competition runs 1st to 19th of the Month.
  • Voting runs from the 20th - 26th.
  • The person with the most votes is the winner.

Well it may be a bit hard since I live in a pretty small town. Would non illegal or sanctioned building art count?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Well, Cash, sounds like you might have to start moonlighting as a public nuisance and create your own material :001_cool:

He may even be the next Banksy.

$592fd58ef961e837e10ca14b1570fc45.jpg

Wish I could actually see the location cleanshaved showed us in his picture:thumbup1:

For the challenge, consider the definition of street art by Wikipedia;
Street art is visual art created in public locations, usually unsanctioned artwork executed outside of the context of traditional art venues. The term gained popularity during the graffiti art boom of the early 1980s and continues to be applied to subsequent incarnations. Stencil graffiti, wheatpasted poster art or sticker art, and street installation or sculpture are common forms of modern street art. Video projection, yarn bombing and Lock On sculpture became popularized at the turn of the 21st century.
The terms "urban art", "guerrilla art", "post-graffiti" and "neo-graffiti" are also sometimes used when referring to artwork created in these contexts. Traditional spray-painted graffiti artwork itself is often included in this category, excluding territorial graffiti or pure vandalism.
Street art is often motivated by a preference on the part of the artist to communicate directly with the public at large, free from perceived confines of the formal art world. Street artists sometimes present socially relevant content infused with esthetic value, to attract attention to a cause or as a form of "art provocation".

The extended rules for this challenge are;
Rule 1 - have fun
Rule 2 - see Rule 1

So, try for non-commissioned work, or not work that has been paid for.

Jim

Dang, going to miss out on another one.... Finally getting where I can move about without my crutches, but I'm in the middle of nowhere. Only graffiti around here is on the one large bridge we have, but it's all punks from the same mud puddle sized gene pool. I don't think crudely made genitalia and misspelled notes about loving their sister are even worthy of taking a photo of, certainly not posting it here...

Maybe next month.

ok, my 2c worth, from the Rhine cruise last summer, near Worms, Germany.

and, also, just my opinion...graffiti is really a crime, not art! See article, here

proxy.php

I like these opening salvos! I live in a city, but will take some planning to get down where the "really great" graffiti lives.

ok, my 2c worth, from the Rhine cruise last summer, near Worms, Germany.

and, also, just my opinion...graffiti is really a crime, not art! See article, here

proxy.php

People were jailed for the act, defacing public property not for the artistic merit of their defacement.

In the almost nine years since that article was written have attitudes towards graffiti/street art changed at all?

dave

Obviously, can only speak for here, but a LOT of business's pay decent for Graffiti Artists to come along and do up entire walls, even store fronts. More and more there's a lot of Graffiti work used to dress up parks, stores, etc. etc.. It's only when it gets into 'tagging' that it's a problem. People putting up there signatures and vulgarity's and that sort.

Obviously, can only speak for here, but a LOT of business's pay decent for Graffiti Artists to come along and do up entire walls, even store fronts. More and more there's a lot of Graffiti work used to dress up parks, stores, etc. etc.. It's only when it gets into 'tagging' that it's a problem. People putting up there signatures and vulgarity's and that sort.

Last night the local municipal art gallery sponsored a showing of Jean-Michel Bisquiat: The Radiant Child.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Michel_Basquiat

dave

Top Bottom