Feather Popular Durability

Discussion in 'Double Edged Razors' started by MikeC, Dec 25, 2010.

1. I'm really liking the shaves I'm getting with my Feather Popular razor but I'm concerned on how long a razor made from plastic and steel will last. I'm thinking of getting 1 or 2 more as a backup since they are not expensive. I'd hate for this razor to break on me in a few years then find out they are not made anymore. Has anyone had any problems with the Popular razor?

Merry Christmas :thumbup:

2. ouch

ouch Moderator Contributor

Why not just get something better?

3. BigFoot

BigFoot Moderator Contributor

+1, There are so many razors out there that will last almost forever, go for it, indulge yourself. :thumbup:

4. If you like it that much get yourself a spare. You can still move on to other razors but I got me some spares of both razors and brushes (and blades, but that is another matter) that I really liked. I would hate to see a prefered item getting out of production while I was still debating with myself to get a few more or not!

5. You could get a NOS or used Gillette Knack or Slim Twist for a decent price. They are a durable razor.

6. What's better?

7. Better is relative, but a Gillette Super Adjustable (pre-1979 or so) has much the same design as the Feather Popular with a 4-inch handle and all-metal construction. So you could look for one of those. After 1979 they started having plastic parts.

8. The Popular is still being made, and I find them here in Japan often...but I'd agree, look for a long-handled razor like the Krona, Knack or Super Adjustable....be patient on eBay and you'll find a razor built like a tank for the same price as a Popular.

9. I don't know about the Feather Popular in particular, but a razor that's partly plastic can be very durable. My Schick Krona is from the 60s or 70s, and it's lasted just fine. Same with a number of injector razors. Yes, there are cheap, flimsy plastic razors too, but don't be prejudiced against something just because it has plastic parts.

Still, I do believe in redundancy. Back when I was shaving with an Atra, I had an extra Atra handle. A backup razor is a good idea, whether or not it's the same type. And some of us have a lot more than just one backup.

10. Sounds like you need a Feather All-Stainless :lol: