What's new

Favorite Powerhouse Scent

My understanding of "powerhouse" is that it is a frag either released in the 70/80s or constructed along the same principles/notes as those. That said, a powerhouse has monster sillage and longevity, mining heavily the fougere/chypre/leather/tobacco territory -- civet (eg. Ungaro II) and honey are welcome (Boss Number One). Thefore, Iso-e (sorry Encre Noir), bubble gum syrups (sorry Tom Ford -- when you wear TF, you are wearing a frag but you are saying you would much rather have a popsicle), already overdone oud-per-week fad (sorry Montale and Lutens) are disqualified. Powerhouse is not something you would wear to go out clubbing. It is something you COULD put on before a business meeting but you better have the cojones to pull it off. Wearing 1 Million or any Montale -- you are merely a conversation piece, a wimpy dude with a shiny expensive toy in the corner you want everyone to admire. Slap on some $12 Ted Lapidus or Zino, or even better, Salvador Dali PH and everyone will KNOW you have arrived and you mean business. You better mean it.
+2 Powerhouses are intimidation in a bottle. You don't wear it. It wears you. If you spray too much, it will kill someone or give them temporary blindness. I haven't smelled a modern fragrance that's made my eyes water like a powerhouse.

+2 Powerhouses are intimidation in a bottle. You don't wear it. It wears you. If you spray too much, it will kill someone or give them temporary blindness. I haven't smelled a modern fragrance that's made my eyes water like a powerhouse.

Masque Milano - Montecristo. Have you tried it? It's kind of brutal If your not careful when applying and where you apply. To much and to close to your nose it will feel like some animal just used you as a toilet.
Though a great frag when not over doing it.

My current favorite Powerhouse Scent isn't just one, but a combination - a bit of Quorum topped off with a bit of Tabu (yes, Tabu). I will sometimes use either alone, but they seem to complement and reinforce each other. I've been trying to find a single scent that gives me the same result with no luck thus far.

I used to like the Paco Rabanne AS balm because it didn't sting AND wasn't greasy like a lot of today's balms. The scent was nice too.
I just can't find it any more.

I still have some Quorum in a double container, with AS balm pump dispenser on one side, and eau de toilette spritzer on the other. I'm not as crazy about the scent now.

Just wore a great one today
$SnipImage.jpg

Yes, Calvin (blue unassuming bottle) was a gem. I picked up a few minis (5 ml) couple of years back -- it was all that remained (affordable at least).

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The Salvador Dali pour Homme arrived; I'm still trying to absorb it. It goes on with many notes, settles into patchouli, then dries down to something very much like Georgio Beverly Hills (which I really like).

This had great potential to offend; will employ it.

AA

Top Bottom